Sunday, September 27, 2009

A Pickle Of A Situation!

Rick Reichenbach and Leisa Lea are still here, and Tony and I are having so much fun with them! It is almost like we are on vacation! It is two-thirty, in the afternoon and I am going to write here and there, throughout today, for tonight's blog. First, let me tell you about what happened yesterday.

Around noon, Will Wallace and his younger brother, Wade, and his friend, Brad, came over for a visit. Earlier that morning, I had asked Will to please bring them over, so we could meet Wade and Brad. We visited for about an hour in Outer Space, but thirty minutes into our visit, the phone inside the trailer started ringing off of the wall. I stayed put, because I knew I could return the phone calls after our visit. As our phone continued to ring inside, we did a lot of laughing outside.

Around one-fifteen, after Will, Wade and Brad had left the rescue ranch, I came inside to see who had called. I was shocked when Carlton told me that I had eight new messages! I pressed the play button. "Nancy, this is Sam! I just caught the dog that we have been talking about for the last two weeks! Please call me as soon as you can!"

The second message was from Sam, too, and so were the other six messages! She was in a real pickle of a situation!

Now I am going to be kind and rewind here. Over two weeks ago, Sam my friend and dentist, up in Johnson City, had called me about the one hundred cats that they had rescued from a woman's house, who had died suddenly. Sam, along with some rescue groups out of Austin, had spayed or neutered all of the woman's cats, plus given them all of their shots and treated them for any health problems.

It turned out that all of the cats were healthy and very friendly! Not one of them was sick or feral! Sam had called asking us to take two of the last four cats. We did, and they are now at Hoegemeyer's Animal Clinic, in Kerrville, waiting to be adopted to their forever homes.

A few days after that, Sam had called me to tell me about a dog, that the woman had kept chained under her house. She told me that the dog was now running wild on the property, and no one had been able to catch her! Sam told me that on her two days off, she was going to keep trying to catch this, poor, but scared of people, dog. She asked me if we could take it, if she could catch it. My answer was yes.

Two weeks passed, and Sam kept me posted. She still hadn't been successful in catching the dog, but her friend, who was helping feed the dog, had tamed the dog down enough, that the dog would take treats out of her hand and follow her, but she would dash off if the woman tried to pet her.

Fast Forward. Sam had caught the dog, by putting a small amount of a tranquilizer into the dog's food, and now she didn't know what to do. Our plan had been for her to catch the dog, drive it down to Hoegemeyer's, so it could be spayed and given shots, and then we would pick the dog up, and bring her out here, so we could rehabilitate her. As always, nothing goes exactly as planned.

After Sam had caught the dog, she called Hoegemeyer's, but they were closed. Sam didn't want to make the dog stay in the crate over night, so she was trying to get a hold of me, to ask if she could drive the dog down to us. I immediately called Sam on her cell phone! "Sam, it's Nancy..."

"Thank goodness you called me back!" Sam said. After telling about her ordeal, she asked if she could please bring the dog to us now. I told her to come on and to drive carefully. I figured that she would get here around two-thirty.

After we hung up, Rick called. Carlton took the message, because I was outside telling Tony about Sam coming with the dog. When I came back inside, I pushed the play button on the phone, again. "Cousin Nancy, Tony! This is Rick. Leisa and I should be there around two-thirty. Call us if you need for us to pick up anything. Bye."

At two-thirty, Rick and Leisa arrived. As we were hugging each other, another truck drove into the rescue ranch. I figured that it was Sam, but I was wrong as usual. It was our friend and good neighbor, Steve. He had brought his friend, Andy, over to show him our rescue ranch.

I visited with Steve and Andy, over by the pig pen, as Tony, Leisa and Rick unpacked Leisa's pickup, and carried their stuff into my writing cabin.

Andy wanted to see our rescue ranch and meet our dogs, so I gave them a grand tour. After they had met every dog, they went into the Space Ship, then we took off for Outer Space. They loved it! And, when I invited them into our trailer, their jaws dropped! They could not believe it was a trailer!

As I was walking them to the car, Sam arrived at the rescue ranch! Tony, Rick and Leisa went to greet her. As soon as Steve and Andy drove away, I walked over to the back of Sam's SUV, where they were all admiring, Layla, in her crate. I said hello to everyone and then looked at Layla.

She was absolutely beautiful, but she still seemed to be pretty groggy. "Let's take her to her pen," Tony said. "Sam follow me in your car." Tone jumped into Kermit and took off, and Sam was right behind him. Leisa, Rick and I walked down to her pen.

To Be Continued...

Because Rick and I are fixin' to pick and grin—in Outer Space!

Y'all have a great evening!

No comments: