Monday, July 19, 2010

Martians And Ghosts!

This morning at eight-thirty Tony and I took off for Kerrville in Buttermilk. Our friend Beth had invited us to join her and her friends for breakfast. When we were coming down the pass we saw our friends and great volunteers, Meghann and Matt, so Tony pulled Buttermilk off to the side of the road as Meghann pulled over and stopped. They were headed to the rescue ranch, so T. gave them our electronic gate clicker so they could get in the rescue ranch to do the rest of Tony's chores. Thank you, Meghann and Matt!

We arrived on time at nine o'clock sharp. When we walked inside the restaurant Kinky stood up and greeted us at their table by the door. Kinky was sitting at the end of the table so I sat down next to him and Tony sat down next to me. I was as snug as a bug or so I thought. Max and his wife Norma who were sitting across the table from us introduced themselves and then Kathy introduced herself when Beth arrived and there wasn't a chair for her to sit on, so she pulled up a chair next to Tony, then Kinky helped me scoot closer to him and then T. scooted closer to me to make room for Beth. And now I know what it is like to be a sardine in a can.

After the waitress took everyone's order, but mine because I had already drank my smoothie, she poured T. and me some coffee and then she went away to go turn in their orders and that is when the fun started. "I don't know if I have lost my mind or what," Kinky said. "because I am reading a nine hundred page book about Winston Churchill and I can't put it down. Can you believe it is over nine-hundred pages?"

"How much does it weigh?" I asked. Everyone started laughing.

"A lot," Kinky said. "Did you know that Winston, as a boy spent most of his youth in fancy boarding schools and the woman that he loved, but wouldn't marry him said after his death, 'When I met Winston it only took me minutes to see all of his faults and I have spent a lifetime discovering his many virtues.'"

After Kinky gave us his 'book report' we talked about religion. When the waitress served Norma and Max their waffles, Beth's cheese omelet, Tony's huevos rancheros and Kinky's huevos rancheros, we started discussing Mel Gibson's mess, which is exactly what T.'s and Kink's eggs looked like on their plates. The eggs were real runny and mixed with salsa and the refried beans and hashbrowns that surrounded them were like a food fortress—keeping their egg mixture from sloshing around on their plates.

As I sipped my coffee and watched Kinky and Tony trying to soak up their eggs with flour tortillas Norma talked about her religious beliefs and then the Beatles. Then she started talking about martians and ghosts that she has seen, etc. which I found to be extremely interesting since I believe in all of that kind of stuff and have seen many ghosts and because we have a part-time poltergeist that likes to hang out in our trailer.

Our breakfast was so much fun, but it ended when the huevos finally disappeared, so we went outside and said our goodbyes to Beth and her interesting friends. Then we disappeared and headed back to the rescue ranch, while Kinky went off to run some errands before leaving tomorrow morning for his fifteen cities West Coast Tour with Little Jewford and Washington Ratso.

On our way home after I asked Tony if his breakfast was any good he said, "It was okay, Nance, but not as good as Randy and Lisa's Save Inn Restaurant. They know how to make huevos rancheros better than anyone in town." Then we talked about how nice it was for Matt and Meghann to have come out to do Tony's chores, so he could go to breakfast with us. And then a minute later we waved at Meghann and Matt as they passed by us headed for Kerrville.

When we got home I got on the internet and checked out our utopiarescue.com site and I was thrilled to see that Pat Symchych, our talented web master, had already posted our 2010 newsletter! "Tony!" I half-hollered down the hallway. "Our newsletter is up on our site! Check it out! It looks great!"

Around two o'clock after doing a bunch of paperwork I went over to the Lodge to see Kinky, because I needed for him to autograph 100 copies of his book, Heroes Of A Texas Childhood and sign 100 of Max Swafford's book, The Kinky File that we are giving away free for a $50.00 or more donation to the rescue ranch. I have also donated 100 copies of my new book, Meanwhile Back At The Rescue Ranch too, but I didn't need for him to sign those.

I hope that all of y'all who read my blog will check out our 2010 Newsletter that wound up giving me the dreaded Carpel Tunnel Syndrome. And I hope that y'all will make a donation to our rescue ranch so we can keep on rescuin' on and that is why I write this daily blog. Thank y'all in advance for your support. My wrist is hurting, so I am done for tonight.

Y'all have a great evening!

1 comment:

Eeekamouse said...

Hey Nancy, you and Tony should come to SA this Sunday to the Gospel brunch, performed by our pals Jim and Neesie Beal (remember Jim? He's the music writer for the Express-News). Anyway, I don't mean you should go to the gospel brunch because I think you need be delivered... you guys should go because it's at Casbeer's At the Church and that building is famous for being home to several ghosts! Copper and I tried to encounter them in the room the lady ghost usually frequents, but she wouldn't come out. And ask Frank to show you the pictures he took there when he went with us at Christmas-- orbs everywhere!

Today is my birthday!