Thursday, July 15, 2010

Knock Knock!

Continued from yesterday....

An hour after Carol and James left, we left too. We went to Copies Plus in Kerrville to get the newsletter printed. When we walked inside Copies Plus we were greeted by Trisha's friendly employee, Marcie, because Trisha had gone to run some errands.

When it was our turn to be waited on Marcie gave us a quote and then she happily went to work printing our newsletter. After 100 had been printed we took off, because we were in a hurry to get back to the rescue ranch and that's when we almost died, again.

As we approached a red light it turned green about 500 feet before we reached it and that's when some kids in a beat up car ran a red light and nearly collided with us! The second we saw them about to plow into Buttermilk's front door ~ Tone swerved into the right lane and then a giant red pickup beside us backed off to let us slip into the lane. I can't repeat what T. said next, because he was madder than a wet hen and he had every right to be. "Tony! We almost got killed, again! Thank goodness I knocked for angels."

Tony gave me a funny look. "What are you talking about, Nance? Knocking for angels?" Then I gave Tone a funny look too and explained.

"Tony, I've been doing it for over eight years. Good grief, Tone. Cindy told me about it when she and I went to San Antonio in her car, to be in that Martin Luther King march, back in 2002. I can't believe that you have never noticed me knocking. I do it every time I that I get into a car."

Tony was smiling and shaking his head sideways as we turned onto Highway 16 to head home. "What do you do?"

"The minute that I get into a car I always knock twice on the window and say..."

"Knock knock?" Tony quickly quipped, as he burst into laughter. "I'm sorry, Nance. I couldn't resist. What do you say?" I said nothing for two full minutes, which of course, drove him crazy like I intended it to.

"What I say is, 'Knock for angels, Mom and Dad, family and friends and Buttermilk or whatever the car's name is that I am riding in. Then I say something like this, 'We have to go to Kerrville to run some errands, and I need for you to protect us and keep us safe, and get us back to the rescue ranch safely. And I need a few of you spirits to stay at the rescue ranch and watch after our dogs.'"

As we passed by the last Mini-Mart Tony said, "That's a mouthful."

"I'm not finished," I said. "Then I say, 'I thank you and I love you.'" T. smiled. "And it works, too!" I said, and then I rambled on and on about it, reminding him of all of the near death experiences we have had, until we made it back to the rescue ranch safely. "See, T. it works. You need to start knocking for angels every time you take off."

Around six o'clock Tony and I went over to the Lodge to help Kinky pack and load fifteen boxes of his books that we were going to ship out this morning to the West Coast for his upcoming tour. As we packed and repacked boxes Kinky jokingly remarked, "Where's Will when I need him? He's always gone when I need his help." We laughed.

After counting the fifteen boxes full of books, and making sure the number count was correct, Kinky and Tony one-by-one began loading the heavy boxes into the back compartment of Buttermilk as I held the door open for them. When T. and Kink went back inside to get the last three boxes Will walked up and I said loud enough for them to hear me, "Hi, Will!" And then we all started laughing. Then we filled Will in on our private joke and teased him as he loaded the last box into Buttermilk. Then we went back inside the Lodge for a fun visit.

"I'm temporarily renaming Buttermilk. I am going to call her, The Book Mobile," I said. "She's loaded up with Kinky's books and I have two big boxes of my books inside there, too." Before the Book Mobile took us safely home Kinky, Tone and I decided that we would meet in Kerrville at the UPS Store at nine-thirty this morning, so we could help Kinky ship off the fifteen boxes of his books.

This morning when we arrived on time at the UPS Store, Kinky, Dylan & Sage Ferrero were standing outside by Mr. Green Jeans, waiting for us. After greetings Kinky told us that he had recruited them to help us. Twenty minutes later we left the shipping store empty handed, and then Kinky told us that he wanted to treat all of us to breakfast for helping him.

Breakfast was so much fun. Sage and I talked non-stop about the history and importance of mice to mankind, and then she told us about her & Dylan's plan for the predicted 2012 Zombie invasion, which I hadn't heard anything about. Then we started talking about Mel Gibson's mess that he has gotten himself into, again. "Well, if you ask me, it sounds like Mr. Mel Gibson has finally crucified himself," I said. "I truly feel sorry for him. It sounds like he is a really sick man. You know, mentally ill and all." Then Kinky told us that he was going to be on Imus tomorrow morning and we talked about that.

After breakfast Tony and I went to Wolfmueller's Books for a fun, but short visit with Sandy and Jon. Then we came home. I spent the rest of my day addressing and packing envelopes for T. to mail out tomorrow morning. I hope everyone likes my newsletter.

Y'all have a great evening!

No comments: