Friday, October 2, 2009

Moon Pie Blues!

This morning started out great, and then it went weird fast. Tony and Ben did their chores outside, as I walked six fast miles inside. Around nine-forty-five, before Tony took off to go shoot some pictures, we had this conversation. "Do you want to go with me to the Apple Store to look at computers, when you get back?" I asked.

"Why don't you ask Ben, and see if he wants to go. I'm not going to be gone that long." Then Tony gave me a hug, grabbed his camera backpack, and drove away in Trigger. Ben was busy mowing, so I came inside and did some paperwork.

An hour later, Ben came inside the trailer, to talk to me about our new dogs. After we had discussed the dogs, I said, "Do you want to go to the Apple Store a little later, with Tone and me?"

"No, Nance," Ben said, shaking his head. "I've got a lot of mowing to do. I think I'll just stick around here." Then Ben left the trailer and I went back to doing my paperwork.

Around twelve-thirty, after catching up with all of my paperwork, I took a shower, and then dressed up. Normally, it is turtlenecks or flannel shirts around here, but since we were going to the Apple Store, I wore a new blouse, that I got from Walmart, my faded Levi's and my pink Justin Gypsy boots. I even braided my long gray ponytail, and put on a little mascara—we were going to town!

I was starting to get really hungry, by one-forty-five. I couldn't figure out where Tony was. I didn't make lunch, because I figured that T. would be showing up any minute, and then we would eat our lunch at a restaurant in Bandera.

Forty-five minutes later, still no Tone. I needed to mail some letters, so Buttermilk and I went to Medina. After mailing my mail, we came straight home. When I walked inside the trailer, Carlton was flashing! Tony had called!

"Hi, Nance. I should be home in about thirty minutes. I got some awesome pictures. I hope that you and Ben went to San Antonio and got your new computer. Love you. Bye."

I realized that there had been some bad miscommunication, and it was now too late to go to San Antone, so I went out to the front porch to talk to Ben. When he saw me, he turned off the weed eater. "What's up?"

"Nothing now," I said, followed by a laugh. "Tony just called, and he is on his way back to the ranch."

"When I came back to work, and saw Buttermilk gone, I figured that you had gone to meet Tony for lunch at the Apple Store in Medina."

"No, Ben," I said. "I went to Medina to mail some letters. We just got back a few minutes ago. And, it's too late now to go to San Antonio to get my computer."

"You were going to buy a computer at the Apple Store in San Antonio? I thought you were asking me eat lunch with you and Tony in Medina. I'm sorry, I misunderstood you." We then started laughing.

We visited a little while longer, then Ben went back to work, and I came inside and ate some leftover chicken salad with a couple of crackers, and I chased it down with a cold glass of water. Fifteen minutes later, Ben came inside the trailer for his pay check.

Just as I handed the check to Ben, Tony walked inside the trailer and said, "Did you get your computer?" Ben and I started laughing.

"Nope," I said. "I thought that you would be back around twelve-thirty, so we could go eat lunch and get my computer. I just ate some chicken salad for lunch. Have you eaten?"

"I'm sorry, Babe," Tony said. "I thought you and Ben were going to San Antonio. I ate a apple pie at the Mini Mart for lunch. I'm really sorry that you didn't get your computer. Ben, is the Apple Store open on Sundays?"

"Yeah sure," Ben said.

"Nance, let's go Sunday?" Tone asked. As he told us all about the pictures that he had taken today. I opened up the freezer door and pulled out a box.

"I need some comfort food right about now," I said, as I opened up the box, and then I pulled out a smaller box. "Ben, the other day when Tony and I went to H.E.B. I bought this. I never eat stuff like this, but for some reason I bought it, and now I am going to eat it." Then I read the directions. "It says it can only be microwaved. Y'all want to go over to the Lodge with me, so I can zap this thing?"

"Sure," Ben said. "Kinky's got some buttered pecan ice cream in his freezer, too." We took off for the Lodge. When we arrived, Copper Love was there visiting with Will. After hugs, Copper asked me what I was zapping in the microwave.

"Copper, today has been a little bit crazy for me, so I am eating some comfort food. I swear, this past month has been something else."

"Nance," Ben said. "Mercury is still fading out of retrograde, and you know that we are under a full moon tonight. That it explains it all."

"You're right!" I said. "Copper, I guess I've just got the moon pie blues!"

Y'all have a great evening!

P.S. Kinky called twice today from Amsterdam! They are having a wonderful time and he can't wait to get back to the ranch!

1 comment:

Mari of the NoMads said...

GAWD but am I glad that you posted that Mercury was still fading out of retrograde and there was the addition of the full moon, because this has been one CRAZY day!

Here's the biggest example: my husband David got word by cellphone as he drove back here from our So. Texas ranch that a gas well on the ranch had blown some cover off (don't ask me to get technical because I can't), exposing a hole. To make matters worse, one of our calves had fallen into the hole and killed himself by doing so.

Surely the ONLY reason why a calf that could have walked ANYWHERE on 6500 acres of that part of our ranch chose to fall into a gas well HOLE and commit "calficide" is the Mercury retrograde/full moon connection!

Thank you again for today's elucidating column! I was really worried after an earlier post of yours said that Mercury was OUT of retrograde. But NOW it all makes "sense" - the kind of sense (?) that comes from the lunacy that is Mercury in retograde and the full moon.