Monday, October 5, 2009

The Rose Hotel!

This morning a woman from San Antonio called and left two messages on the machine, "Please call me. I want to adopt Hudson." As soon as I came in the trailer I called the anxious woman. She told me that her dog of thirteen years had recently passed away, and she and her seventeen children wanted to come out and adopt Hudson. She told me that she would be here around noon.

When Tony came inside the trailer, I told him the good news about Hudson going to live with seventeen children. "The woman has seventeen children?" Tone asked.

"Yes," I said. "Twice, she mentioned her seventeen children. I know she said seventeen."

"I don't know, Nance," T. said, as he scratched his head. "That might be too many for Hudson to handle."

"She told me some of them were adopted," I said. "She's coming out with some of them around twelve-thirty."

By two o'clock, the woman had not shown up, so I called her to see if she was still coming out, because Tony and I had to go to Kerrville, so I could buy a couple of my books at Wolfmueller's Books, that I wanted to mail to a couple of friends. "Hello, this is Nancy at the rescue ranch. Are you still coming out to adopt Hudson?"

"No. We're not coming. I was going to call you." As soon as I got off of the phone, Tony and I took off for Kerrville in Trigger.

Sandy greeted Tony and me, as soon as we walked into the store. She was at the counter, but I didn't see her at first, because my wire rims had steamed up because of the high humidity outside. As soon as I could see, I saw Sandy waving a CD at me. "This is Robert Earl Keen's just released CD and it is fantastic! Listen. It's playing right now."

I listened to Robert Earl singing, and I immediately told Sandy that I wanted to buy a copy. The name of his CD is The Rose Hotel and it is fabulous! I am listening to it as I type this. It has just replaced James Taylor's Covers, as my new favorite CD. And, Tony really likes it, too!

Just a minute a go, the phone rang—it was Jon Wolfmueller. "Hello, Nancy. David just called. Our dinner reservations at Peasants, over at the Trail's End Guest House, are confirmed for October 14th, for the four of us."

"That's great, Jon! I can't wait! I wish Carol was going, but I know she will the next time."

"I know," Jon said. "I told David that they needed to get Beckham cleaned up, and dress him up in a tuxedo, because you were coming to see him." Then we started laughing. "Just a second. Sandy wants to talk to you."

"Hello, Nancy," Sandy said. "Have you listened to Robert Earl's CD, yet?"

"I'm listening to it right now, Sandy, and I love it! In fact, I was just blogging about it and..."

Now back to my story. After Tone and I left Sandy and Jon's bookstore, we went to the post office, over by the only mall, so I could mail Christy in Texas, and Ralph in Michigan, copies of my book. Fortunately, the post office wasn't packed, so I was able to go in and get out fast. Then we headed over to Albertsons, to pick up a box of fine wine.

As we were sitting at the light at 16, waiting to crossover into Albertsons parking lot, I read what was written on the rear window of a big red pickup, in front of us. In big white letters were these words— 'Is There A God?' As I was thinking about why the man had that on his window, the man suddenly floored his truck, and ran the red light, and sped across 16 into the Albertsons' parking lot! "Good grief!" Tony said, in utter amazement, as our light remained red. "Did you just see that? Why in the 'heck' did he do that? He could have gotten himself killed!"

"Probably because, either Mercury or the Full Moon made him do it. Or, maybe he was just in a hurry looking for God," I said. Then the light turned green for us, and we crossed over into the parking lot.

As we watched the red pickup, slowly swerving and weaving up and down the parking lot lanes, Tone said, "Well, he came real close to meeting him in person today, because he sure didn't see the light."

Y'all have a great evening!

No comments: