Friday, November 1, 2013

Around! or Not Much!

Yesterday morning started as a sad day, because we had to put our dear, sweet, thirteen-year-old Abbie down. She was a nine-week-old wannabe-Lab pup, when we rescued her from the Kerrville pound and we both feel very blessed that she chose to spend her life with us. She was a great dog and we will always miss her. "We love you, Abbie."

Around 10:00, things began to get better for me, because our friends/volunteers Jim, Diane, Ruthie and Dan came out for a scheduled visit. I love these people, so in no time flat they had me laughing and grinning, even though they were unaware of our loss. I really enjoyed seeing these folks and was so glad they had lifted my spirit.

Around 11:30, all of us left the rescue ranch to go to Ellen and June's Shoestring Ranch for their "Thank You" party, because they wanted to thank all of their friends who helped them fix up their darling cabin. When we arrived June greeted us and asked all of us to wear name tags and below our name write down what we had done to help them. So, when it was my turn to fill out my name tag I wrote, "Nancy" and underneath my name I wrote these two words, "Not Much." Then I joined the fun party.

All of our friends/volunteers were there, along with June's and Ellen's friends and their cousin Pam and I had a wonderful time meeting them and visiting with our friends. Their buffet lunch was so delicious I witnessed several people going back for second servings. All in all it was a really great party and just being there lifted my spirits even higher.

Around 4:00, Kinky followed Tony and me, in his truck, Mr. Green Jeans, over to Carol's ranch, so she could ride with Tony and me over to Jim & Liz's ranch to eat dinner with them. We had a wonderful time at their beautiful ranch.

When we arrived at their beautiful home and after hugs and howdies, the first thing Liz did, was say, " Nancy, we have something we want to give to you." Then she left the big room to go get it. When she returned she was holding the cutest little Boston Terrier door stopper. "We bought this for you a while back and today we finally get to give it to you."

"Oh, I love it!" I said, knowing how very special it was. "I absolutely love this, y'all. Thank you, so very much."

Then we left their home and went over to their Grey Goose Saloon to have drinks, listen to some great music, trade stories, while eating their tasty appetizers. A little while later we went back down the hill to their house to eat a delicious dinner that Liz had prepared for us.

Around 7:30, we arrived back at the rescue ranch and after Tony had put up the chickens we came inside The Cabin, to be greeted by our four loving dogs. After letting them go outside, I put my adorable door stopper, on the table next to my banjo and said, "Tony, I know it might sound really weird to you, but I think the timing of Liz & Jim giving me this today is a direct sign from Abbie to let us know that she is okay. I know Abbie was a Lab and this is a Boston Terrier, but it's like we lost our dog this morning and tonight were given another dog. Every time that I look at it I am going to think about our sweet Abbie." And that's when my floodgates opened and I finally let myself cry about losing Abbie and that is why I didn't post anything last night, because I was too upset.


Today has been great. This morning the weather was perfect outside when our great friends/volunteers came out to walk our dogs for us. The sun was shining brightly, no clouds to be seen and the temperature was around seventy degrees. Our dogs were frisky and eager to go for a walk and I enjoyed seeing our dogs having so much fun.

Around 11:30, before we went to eat lunch at the Highpoint Resort, Ellen and her cousin Pam were visiting with Brandon and me, in front of the barn. When Pam was telling Brandon that she wished that she had the time before flying back home, to hear Brandon and me play some music for her, I said, "Well let's go up to The Cabin right now and Brandon and I will give you a mini-concert."

Five minutes later, Brandon and I were pickin' and grinnin' for Pam and Ellen. I played my guitar and Brandon played my banjo. And five minutes later, the four of us were back outside, standing near the barn visiting again.

Around 12:00, everyone took off to go eat lunch and that was a lot of fun too. The food was delicious and we all did a lot of laughing. Eileen had baked Brandon a Blackberry Dump Cake and for dessert he shared it with all of us and it too was delicious, so I asked Eileen how to make one.

So, when Tony and I got back home, I made Tony a surprise blackberry dump cake, while he was gone to Bandera to do some banking for us. It turned out just like Eileen's mouth-watering dump cake and Tony loved it. And that is about it for tonight.

No wait! Hold the phone! Kinky just called me and he told me about what happened to him when he took the mama cat and her six kittens to Hoegemeyer Animal Clinic, this morning, so they can adopt them out to good homes. "Nance, when I walked inside Hoegemeyers, I was carrying the crate with the mama and her six kittens inside the crate. Kathy was there and when she came around to look at the kittens and mama there were only five kittens and the mama. I said, "#%&*!" Kathy calmed me down and suggested we go outside and look inside my truck. When we opened the backdoor we found the little black kitten and it was so happy when we put it back with it's mother..."

Now I need to end this so I can go put up the chickens, because Tony and Brandon are at the Medina football game. Life is good.

Y'all have a great evening!

No comments: