Thursday, July 5, 2012

Figs For Jalapenos!

Today has been great. After we did our morning chores outside I came inside to check my e-mail and I am so glad that I did, because my dear friend Mari, who we were later meeting for lunch, in Kerrville, had sent me one, asking if we liked figs, because if we did, she wanted to trade us some of her figs for Tony's jalapenos. So, I shot her back an e-mail telling her that we would love to trade figs for jalapenos, then I jumped into the shower to get cleaned up.

Tony and I love Mari and getting to have lunch with her is one of our most favorite things to do and after we have lunch with Mari, I always wish that we could do it more often, because on a scale, from one to ten, with ten being the highest, of "Favorite Things To Do"—she's a twelve.

Before leaving the rescue ranch, Tony quickly handpicked a fresh crop of his jalapenos for Mari and then he loaded up two dog crates, in the back of Buttermilk, then we took off for Kerrville.

Our lunch today with Mari was a total blast. When she arrived two minutes after we got there, she was carrying a large white box and a gigantic, plastic bag filled with the biggest figs that we've ever seen and before she sat down, Mari handed me the heavy box and said, "I have one and I bought this for you, because you love Roy Rogers as much as I do."

When I opened up the white box, I was instantly thrilled at what I saw. It was this beautiful 399 page book, Roy Rogers and Dale Evans: It Was Always The Music, a celebration of Roy and Dale's singing cowboy B-Western era of country-western music, by Eric van Hamersveld, authorized by Dale Evans Rogers, Roy "Dusty" Rogers, Jr., and the Roy Rogers-Dale Evans Museum! "Mari, I love this. It is so beautiful. Thank you, so much!" Then our waiter appeared and interrupted me, so he could take our order. (Mari and I ordered the exact same thing from the menu, except she requested Charro beans, instead of the refried beans that I ordered.)

"I knew you would love it, since you have started playing your guitar again, " Mari said. "It has every song, from all of their movies, with the music and lyrics and it is filled with movie pictures that you're going to love and..."

Because Mari is one of the most well informed, intelligent, humorous women that I have ever met, she and I were either talking or laughing non-stop, about dogs, the importance of buying Made In America products, politics, music, The NoMads, figs, jalapenos, West Texas, Terlingua, drivers license, tuna fish from Thailand, etc. and poor Tony hardly ever got to get a word in edgewise. And after two fun-filled hours had passed, Tone finally got to say, "Nance, it's nearly three o'clock and we need to get back to the ranch." Which totally shocked Mari and me, that so much time had passed, because we were having so much fun.

"Tony, will you please carry my book for me, because it is so heavy?" I asked. "And the figs."

While T. was gone to put our giant sack of figs and my newest, favorite book inside Buttermilk and getting Mari's jalapenos for her, Mari wanted me to listen to this great song, No One Kisses Their Horses Anymore. So when Tony joined us, we chuckled as we listened to it, standing in the parking lot. Then we adios-ed each other and left.

Our next stop was just down the street at Hoegemeyer Animal Clinic, to pick up Hank Williams, Sr. and Jackie Kennedy Onassis, so we could bring them home. And Hank, the handsome Yellow Labrador barked, I mean, serenaded us all of the way home.

When we got back to the rescue ranch, I took these pictures of Hank, wearing his temporary lampshade and not knowing what to think about it and cute, little Jackie O. 








Early this evening, I went over to the Lodge to visit with Kinky and Marcie and I had a fun, one hour,  really enjoyable visit with them, before coming back home. And that is about it for tonight, because I plan to learn how to play a few Roy & Dale songs on my guitar, until my fingers are killing me and then read my newest, favorite book. "Thank you, Mari! I love my book!  Let's do lunch sooner than later!"



Y'all have a great evening!

1 comment:

Mari of the NoMads said...

Have you listened to the CD from the Silver Screen Cowboy Project????

Inquiring minds want to know!