Wednesday, July 4, 2012

My Right Eye!

Today has been a happy 4th of July. This morning after we did our morning chores outside, we decided to basically take the day off and enjoy the holiday. So, for lunch I made us Shrimp Scampi and Tony told me that it was the best that he has ever eaten, but because he's never eaten Shrimp Scampi in his life—I took his compliment rather lightly.

After lunch I cleaned up the kitchen, then I decided to make some homemade salsa for us, because we had over fifteen, large ripened tomatoes, taking up too much space on the kitchen counter and we still had at least fifty jalapenos left over, even after giving Kinky a giant, gallon bag of them yesterday, waiting for me to do something with them, before they went bad and would have to be thrown out.

Because it has been a really long time since I've made Cousin Nancy's Secret Salsa, a delicious salsa recipe that I stole from Carol several years ago, it took me a few minutes to find it on my lap top, then I got busy making my salsa.

After making batch after batch of salsa, using my several secret ingredients and all of Tony's organic tomatoes, that had disappeared from the drainboard and the jalapeno count, inside the baggie, had dropped down to less than forty, I filled up a gallon-sized baggie and one medium-sized jar with my salsa!

Before I put the gallon of salsa bag inside the freezer, I asked T. to taste it. "It tastes great, Nance, but I think it could use a little more heat," he suggested, which instantly turned my smile upside down. "I mean it's good. I just like it really hot. That's all."

Feeling a little emotionally deflated from his remark about Carol's salsa recipe, I said, kind of pouting, "I'm sorry it is not perfect, Tony. It's Carol's recipe—not mine. I'll let you make it the next time. Okay?" Then I rubbed my right eye, because it itched, which was a really bad mistake, because tears instantly started flowing from my right eye, because of his jalapenos or the onion.

Tone is so smart. He knew exactly what to do. First he hugged me and then he said, "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to hurt your feelings and make you cry..."

Even though I have to admit that I sort of enjoyed making him feel a little bit sorry for suggesting that Carol's salsa recipe needed more heat, I did do the right thing. "Tony, I'm fine, but my right eye isn't. I just forgot to wash my hands, before rubbing it..." And then everything was fine between us. He went back into his office and I played my guitar until my fingers were killing me. And that's about it for tonight.

Y'all have a great 4th of July evening!

No comments: