Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Life Is A Beach!

Today has been great, and I guess that you could say that yesterday was great, too, when all was said and done.


Yesterday morning started out fine. While Tony and Ben did their chores outside, I walked my six miles, then I returned phone calls and caught up with some paperwork.


After Tony, Ben and I ate lunch, while I was cleaning up the kitchen and visiting with Ben, Tony came into the room and told us that he was feeling really bad. He told us that his kidneys were  hurting, and he was feeling really shaky, and he thought he should go to the hospital. Then he called Jon and Sandy and asked them if he should go to the emergency room or a clinic. They told him to just go to one or the other, now.


At one-fifteen, we took off in Buttermilk. I drove Tone to the emergency room. While he was signing in, I went outside and called Kinky, in Austin, to tell him what was going on, then I called the Wolfmuellers. A few minutes later, Jon was sitting with us in the emergency room. When they took Tony to a room, before Jon took off, he told me to call them when we knew something.


An hour and forty-five minutes later, Tony and I walked out of the hospital with some prescriptions to fill. His diagnosis was chronic back pain. As we waited for his prescriptions to be filled at Albertsons, we counted our blessings. Thank goodness he didn’t have kidney problems, his blood sugar was fine, indicating no diabetes, and his blood pressure was the best that it could be. He was healthy, except for his chronic back pain, which is treatable! So, I feel like after all was said and done—our day turned out great.


We got back to the ranch a little after five, and we were exhausted, and that is why I didn’t write a blog last night. 


This morning, while I was in Outer Space drinking coffee, the phone rang at seven-twenty-five, it was Pete, our good friend from Port Aransas. “Nancy, I want to adopt Smilin’ Jack, if you still have him! I got your e-mail about him, and John sent me an e-mail to check him out on your blog. The minute that I saw his picture, there was a connection. Call me.”


A few minutes later, when I came inside, I called Pete. I was thrilled that Pete and Kelly wanted to adopt Jack! We talked about Smilin’ Jack for about ten minutes, and then we discussed how to get Smilin’ Jack to Port A., because Pete couldn’t wait to get him! 


At two-fifteen, Tony and I went outside to get Smilin’ Jack ready for his four hour trip to Port Aransas with Lisa and Sha, two of our new, great dog walking volunteers! Twenty-five minutes later, Tony, Ben and I waved goodbye to Sha and Lisa, as they drove away with their precious cargo, Smilin’ Jack! 


I was so happy for Smilin’ Jack, I didn’t cry, because I knew that he was fixin’ to have a great life on the beach, with two of the nicest people I know! And, his running buddy is going to be Fiona, their new, sweet and beautiful, rescued Bulldog! Pete told me that Smilin’ Jack is going to go to work with him everyday, sleep inside, and his only other job will be to run up and down the beach and swim!


As I write this, at six-twenty-one, Smilin’ Jack should be arriving at the What-A-Burger, in Port A., in about fifteen minutes! And, this is why today has been great!


P.S. Thank you, Sha and Lisa! We love you! And, we love you, too—Smilin’ Jack!


Y’all have a great evening!

2 comments:

DY_Goddess said...

Well Nance, is this art imitating life or life imitating art?
I saw Smilin' Jack and thought WOW there's one great dog. Then your pal from Port Aransas is adopting him (I'm thrilled!). Anyone in their right mind wouldn't let a dog like him go by without bringing him home!! Yup. Looks like the winds of fate will have me ending up in Port Aransas too, one of these days.
So happy for Smilin' Jack and his new family, he's one super dog and I'm so glad he's going to be calling Port Aransas home. Very cool.

DY_Goddess said...

Nancy, I'm so sorry that Tony wasn't feeling well. Back pain is the WORST, but so glad it isn't something more serious. Tell him we're all thinking of him and hope he's feeling 100% again real soon.