Friday, November 20, 2009

Happy 61st Birthday, Patty K.!

This morning it rained, and we had a pretty bad electrical storm, that made us unplug everything, so Tony and I went over to the Lodge to visit with Ben and Will. While we were talking about the storm, I grabbed the pool rack, and started pulling all of the balls out of the pool table pockets. "Ben, you want to play a game of pool with me?" I asked. Will, Tony and Ben sort of chuckled.

"Sure Nance," Ben said, as he racked up the balls. "You go first, and break up the balls."

I didn't want to break up the balls, because I'm not good at doing that, and I also didn't want to hear Tone's standard comment that he makes every time that I break up the balls—'You shoot like a girl.' 

As Will lit up his cigar, I took the first shot. I completely missed the racked up balls, and my cue ball went to the back pocket and fell into it! The guys started laughing. "Game over, you lost, Nance," Tone said. "You shoot like..."

"What?" I asked, intentionally cutting off Tone's remark. Then they took turns explaining the rules of the game to me, as Tony and Ben played a game. It was sad, The Medina Bulldog lost. Will was next, and in no time flat, he lost to Ben, too. Ben was on a roll, so to speak.

When Ben jokingly bragged about being the best, The Medina Bulldog challenged him to one more game.  Five minutes later, The Medina Bulldog beat Ben! "Come on, Nance," Tone said. "We've got to go home. It has quit raining, and I've got work to do."

While T. and Ben worked outside, I returned phone calls and caught up with my paperwork. Then I fixed lunch for Ben, Will, Tony and me. We had my homemade beans and cornbread, and it was really good.

After lunch, I worked on my book. Around two o'clock, we took off for Kerrville to get groceries, and to go to Wolfmueller's Books, so I could drop off a much improved, edited version of my book, for Sheryl Eddins to edit for me. 

When we pulled up in front of Sandy and Jon's bookstore, I did a double take, and so did P & P, who were walking out of Wolfmuellers! "Tone, it's Patty and Peggy!" I jumped out of Buttermilk! "Hi Patty and Peggy," I said, as I hugged them. "It is so good to see y'all! I was just telling Tone, twenty minutes ago, that you were coming up for a visit from Florida! I can't believe this! Y'all look great!" 

When I finally quit talking, Patty said, "Cousin Nancy, today is my 61st birthday, and I flew in yesterday to be with Dad and Peggy!"

"Happy Birthday, Patty! Good grief, you sure don't look like you're sixty-one! You look like a forty-something..." As the four of us visited outside Wolfmuellers, Sandy and Jon waved to us from inside. Before saying goodbyes to P & P, Patty told me that she and Peggy were coming out to the rescue ranch tomorrow morning for a visit! I can't wait to see them!

When T. and I walked inside the bookstore, we were greeted by Mary Jo, Sandy, Jon and Donna Schloss! We had a fun visit with them. I showed Donna and Mary Jo, my nearly finished book, and I told them that they were both mentioned in it, and they seemed thrilled! Then this man walked in the bookstore and started talking to Jon, at the checkout counter.

Sandy waved at me, and whispered, "that's Tom! Have you met him?"

"Tom Wells?" I whispered back. Sandy nodded her head, yes. I then walked over to Tom and stuck out my hand. As we shook hands, I said, "Tom Wells, I am Cousin Nancy and I am so mad at you. I read your book, Strange Seasons: Summer, and I loved it, and I couldn't put it down! It was fantastic! But when I found out that I was going to have to wait for you to finish the next sequel, I was sick. You are one great writer!"

Tom thanked me, and then he told me that he is nearly finished writing the next sequel. Here's a picture of Tom's fiction novel.


Before leaving Wolfmueller's I purchased this gardening book for Tony."Here Tone. This an early Christmas present from me. Enjoy."


Y'all have a great evening!


No comments: