Friday, November 6, 2009

I Blew It!

Today has been a great day, but pretty quiet, fortunately. This morning I made breakfast tacos while Tony was in Medina drinking coffee, at the Old Timer. When he returned to the ranch I called Kinky to see if he and Frank wanted some breakfast tacos.

Four minutes later, Tony, Kinky and Frank were eating my tacos in Kinky's kitchen. "Kinky, do you have a copy of the Southern Living article about you?" I asked.

"Yes. It was a nice article," Kinky said. "Have you seen it?"

I started laughing. "No, but a little birdie told me that the picture they used of you, sitting in Outer Space, said that it was taken on your back porch." Kinky chuckled, and then he left the kitchen. When he returned, he handed the magazine to me. "The article is near the back of the magazine."

After twenty seconds of thumbing my way through the back of the magazine, I found the article and read it. "That's a great article, Kinky. I like it, even though it does say, right here, that the picture of you was taken on your back porch, instead of Outer Space..."

After the guys had eaten all of the tacos, Tony and I came home, because Lisa, Sydney and Blair, our new super dog walking volunteers, were coming out early, to help Tone with his chores, and to walk our dogs! And, it is a good thing that we left when we did, because they arrived ten minutes later.

An hour later, after I had caught up with ranch paperwork, I went outside and found the women. "Kinky is over at the Lodge, and he wants me to bring y'all over so he can meet you, and thank you for helping us!" One minute later, Buttermilk was taking the four of us over the river and through the woods to Kinky's.

As we sipped coffee in the kitchen and talked about the dogs at the rescue ranch, Kinky suddenly changed the subject. "You know, everyone has bad habits. It's human nature, and mine is smoking cigars. As of right now, I have decided to quit smoking cigars. It will be good for me and..."

I was in shock and could not believe his words. "It'll make you fat, Kinky," I said.

"No it won't, Nancy," Kinky said, with an unlit cigar in his mouth. "If I remove the matches and lighters, etc. I won't be tempted."

"Seriously, you're starting right now?" I said.

"Yes," Kink said, waving his unlit cigar in the air. The four of us wished Kinky good luck, and then his phone rang. Four minutes later Kinky returned to the kitchen and said, "I blew it, girls. As I was talking on the phone, I unconsciously, out of habit, lit up my cigar and started smoking!"

Y'all have a great evening!

2 comments:

DY_Goddess said...

Nance, once again your blog made me laugh out loud. Tell Kinky to start carrying around an empty lighter.

It's warm & sunny here today, our last one until Winter hits I'm sure.
Kris & I have been out most of the day, he's been so happy and playful in the sunshine. He was at the vet last weekend for his check up and he's doing great. The Dr. said his heart is very strong, especially for a dog his age. I told him I already knew that ; ))

cousin nancy said...

Hi Fay! I will tell him to carry around an empty lighter, that's a great idea! Also, that is great news about Kris Kristofferson! I love that dog, and he is so lucky to have you and your family. Y'all deserve each other.

Speaking of great dogs, Smilin' Jack, the new dog that came in today is magnificent! Fay, he is part Newfoundland and Lab, and is great with all dogs! Does Kris need a great buddy? He doesn't play rough, and is even more well trained than Tony!

Gotta go, because I am fixin' tp blog about him!