Monday, August 17, 2009

Something To Squawk About!

Saturday morning, Tony and I went over to the Lodge to give Kinky one of our healthy breakfast smoothies. Kinky loved it, and has now asked us to keep bringing them over for his breakfast. I love it! Following his liquid breakfast, we went outside and I took some pictures of his guests, Russ and his talkative Macaw—Kinky Friedman, with the Kinkster. And, that's Trigger in the background!



The tattoo that you see on Russ' shoulder is beautiful. Russ just recently had it done. Here's a close up of it.

Saturday evening, I went over to the Lodge to visit with Kinky's and our friend, Russ Erickson. We love Russ! He had driven from Asheville, North Carolina, with his famous talking Macaw parrot, named Kinky Friedman! Russ had also brought along his son, Trace with his son, Jake.

Russ had invited Tony and me to join them for dinner around six-thirty. Tone was tired, and didn't go with me, because he had been outside all day and he was wore out. When I arrived, there was a surprise guest, too—Steve Rambam! After handshakes and hugs, Kinky, Will, Trace, Jake, Rambam, Russ and me sat down at the picnic table, near the Lodge. I had told Russ earlier in the day, not to cook anything for me, because I don't eat past five o'clock.

Russ had cooked the guys BBQ, using his perfected secret recipe, and it smelled delicious. In fact, I know it was delicious, because Rambam ate four BBQ sandwiches, including four of Russ' homemade tamales! I got full just watching him.

While Kinky only ate one BBQ sandwich, Rambam told us about his travels, and he made us laugh with most of his jokes. Kinky was the first to leave the table, because he had some phone calls to make. About ten minutes later, Will said, "Nance, the horses are over at the truck eating something." I looked up.

"OMG!" I said. "There are five feed sacks in the back of Trigger! Y'all, I hate to run, but I have to get out of here, before the horses eat too much feed! See y'all tomorrow. Bye!" I left the party of five, and skipped to the truck. "Yah! Get out of here!" I half-hollered to the happy, munching horses. They pretended not to hear me, like Tony sometimes does. So I played an old ranch trick on them.

With them watching me, I bent down, picked up a big rock, similar looking, to the rock tool that we use on Buttermilk, to get her air conditioning fan to start working. With their full attention, I tossed the rock near them, making sure not to hit them. I would never do that. Well, it worked like a charm! When they saw the rock in my hand, and then heard it drop to the ground, close to them—they took off in a fast trot! I then jumped into Trigger, and we galloped home.

I want to show you this tattoo, that I took of Russ' arm. Kinky loved the quote and so did I. The quote is from Louis L'Amour and it is: "There will come a time when you believe that everything is finished... That will be the beginning."

FYI: Kinky Friedman, the parrot, was born in Daytona Beach, Florida on September 9, 1996, which makes him a Virgo. He was named in honor of Kinky, the person. Kinky, the bird, can speak over five hundred words and phrases when he wants to. And he loves to squawk, and it can be piercing at times! He spends most of his time at Russ and his daughter, Tara's doggie daycare and grooming facility At Play With Sparky in Asheville. I hope that you will check them out! We love them both!

Y'all have a great evening!

No comments: