Thursday, August 6, 2009

A Financial Pleasure!

Continued from Monday's post—

When I walked inside Wolfmueller's Books, Sandy and Jon greeted me. They invited me to sit down and visit with them. It was a fun visit. We talked about my book, Kinky's book and the breakfast that I had just come from. About twenty minutes later, Kinky showed up.

I gave Kinky my chair, because I prefer standing, as much as I can, because I sit too much behind my computer. As the four of us visited, there was much laughter when Kinky and I talked about our morning breakfast with our friends. Then I saw the back door of the bookstore open, and a woman walked inside, followed by a little girl. "Sandy, someone just walked in the back door," I said.

"Who is it?" Sandy asked.

"I'm not sure, but she and a little girl are headed our direction." Then I recognized the woman. It was Kathleen Keen, Robert Earl's sweet wife, with their cute daughter!

"Hi, everybody," Kathleen said. "I want y'all to meet my daughter." We all said hello to her. "I just picked my daughter up from her summer violin camp."

"How old are you?" Kinky asked the sweet little girl.

"Nine," she answered.

"How long have you been playing the fiddle?" Kinky asked.

"Almost two years."

"Why don't you play something for everyone?" Kathleen asked. Her daughter put her violin case down on the table, and pulled out her fiddle and bow. "Tell us what song you are going to play for us." Kathleen said.

"Arkansas Traveler." Then she picked up her bow and began playing. Oh my gosh—she was awesome! She played like a professional, and she put smiles on all of our faces!

When the song ended, everyone clapped their hands! "That was lovely. You are one very talented young lady." Kinky said. "You are better than me. I have always admired people who can stand on a street corner, and play music or perform like you just did in front of a small crowd of people. I wish that I could do that, but I can't. I can sing on a stage in front of hundreds of people, but I can't do what you just did." She smiled.

"It's called busking," Kathleen said.

"Busking?" I asked. "I've never heard of that word before."

"Me neither," Sandy confessed, too. Then we talked about some famous busking musicians. Kinky told us about one in Hawaii, but unfortunately, I can't remember his name.

"I bet I could get you gigs!" Kinky said. "How about signing up with me, and I will make you a star?" She could tell that Kinky was teasing her, and she laughed. While we visited, Kathleen went to look at books.

A few minutes later, she returned with a copy of "The Christmas Pig" by Kinky, and Kathleen said, "Sandy, I want to buy this book for my daughter, and Kinky, I want you to sign it to her."

"What should I say?" Kinky asked.

"How about, 'please sign my contract or let's make this a financial pleasure,'" I quickly quipped. Kinky loved it and he burst our laughing! Then he signed her book, writing a funny version of what I had suggested.

We laughed and visited a bit longer, then Kathleen and her beautiful daughter left, and a few minutes later, Kinky and I jumped into Mr. Green Jeans and returned to the ranch.

Y'all have a great evening!

P.S. Tony had a great birthday, and thanks to everyone who wished him a happy birthday today!

2 comments:

Mari of the NoMads said...

Part II arrived at last! Tra-la-LAH! The sky is blue, the sun is shining, the birds are singing - all's right with the world!

I will sleep SO well tonight!

Thank you, Cousin Nancy - you're the greatest blogger EVER!

cousin nancy said...

Aw shucks, Mari, I bet you say that to everyone. Laugh out loud. Thank you for the kind comment, and I do apologize for not blogging as much these past few weeks, because of the book. Pretty soon I will get back on schedule blogging. Thanks for hanging in there with me!