Saturday, January 11, 2014

Do-Over Day!

Today has been great, even though it was filled with do-overs. In the earlier part of the week I spoke to the nice couple that in October had adopted our super sweet, four-year-old Beagle, Peggy Sue.  As much as this fabulous coupled loved Peggy Sue and had tried very hard to make her happy, they had decided to return Peggy Sue to us, because they wanted her to be happy again, like she had been at our rescue ranch.


Peggy Sue had stolen their hearts and they were sad and depressed about giving her up, but they felt it was the best thing to do for Peggy Sue and I agreed. Before our conversation ended, we made a plan to meet them, Friday afternoon, around 2:30, in front of Pet Supplies Plus, by the little H-E-B, on 16.

But unfortunately that didn't happen, because around 1:30, while Tony was gone, taking photos, at the Bandera County Stock Show, I was home alone doing paperwork. I don't like doing paperwork, but it was peaceful and quiet here, until all of the dogs started barking outside. Grace Kelly had gotten out and she was happily running around the rescue ranch, teasing the other dogs.

Ten minutes later, after chasing Grace (Escape Artist #1) Kelly from one end of the ranch to the other, I stopped Trigger and got out of the truck and said, "Load Up!" Grace smiled at me and then she jumped inside Trigger ending our little rodeo!

After Grace had dragged me back to her and Tom Landry's pen, she happily ran inside it. She kissed Landry and then she laid down to rest, in the sunshine.

Ten minutes after that, round two of my privately run, mini rodeo occurred when the dogs outside started barking again. I figured it was Grace again, but I was wrong. It was Tom Landry this time, happily running around the rescue ranch, proving that he could do it too. He had dug out.

Tom (Escape Artist #2) Landry was easy to catch and was back inside his pen within two minutes. Then he unknowingly showed me the hole, where he had escaped from, because he was fixin' to go out it again, so he could run around the rescue ranch some more. I caught him and ten minutes later, after having filled up the hole with big rocks, I returned to the trailer.

Ten minutes after that, the dogs outside started barking again and when I went outside, I saw Tony pulling up, in Buttermilk. After I calmly told him about the exciting adventures of Grace Kelly and Tom Landry, he apologized for not being here, "Dang it, Nance. It seems that every time that I leave you at the ranch, something like this always happens. I'm just going to have to stop going anywhere and just stay home." (Tony is so sweet and that is one of the reasons that I love him so much.)

"It's not your fault, Tony. And yes, you are going somewhere, too." Then I laughed and said, "There's a broken pipe near the barn that needs to get fixed. I have already shut off the water." By now, it is getting late in the day, so I called Peggy's parents and asked if Tony could meet them today at 1:00, instead and they didn't mind one bit about keeping Peggy Sue for one more night.

Before we adios-ed each other, this super nice woman says, "Call us when Tony leaves and then we'll take off to go meet him."

"Okay, will do. Bye."

Today, around noon, Tony took off early for Kerrville, so he could buy some gas, buy dog food for our rescued dogs, mail some letters and pick up a few groceries for me, before picking up Peggy Sue and bringing her back to the rescue ranch.

Around 1:45, I went outside, on the porch, to greet Tony. "How is Peggy Sue?"

"I don't know. They never showed up. I waited twenty minutes for them and then I came back home. By the way, I didn't get gas either, because the pumps were down, so we'll have to get some tomorrow. And I also forgot to buy your French Vanilla Coffee Mate, even though it was at the top of your grocery list."

"I've got lunch ready and I'll call them after we finish eating. I hope everything is okay..." (Hang in there. I'm nearly done telling my story.)

After lunch, I called the couple and spoke to the sweet woman. In a few short minutes we were both laughing about me forgetting to call them when Tony took off. Of course, it was totally my fault and after I apologized to her and to Tony, who was in the kitchen listening to me, we all decided to do another do-over.

So Tony took off again, in Buttermilk, to go meet the couple, at the Mini-Mart nearest to us. Fifteen minutes after he had gone—the phone rang. "Hello, Nancy. We're at the Mini-Mart on the corner of 16 and Ranchero Road. Tony's not here. Is this the right Mini-Mart?"

"No, ma'am. You need to drive about three or four more miles. I think. You'll see it on your right." Then we both started laughing, before we adios-ed each other.

At 2:45, Peggy Sue and Tony arrived, so I went outside to greet Peggy Sue and Tony. Peggy Sue looked absolutely beautiful, healthy, was in great shape and she seemed very happy. We had to put Peggy Sue in The Okay Corral, because our pens are full and we have no extra space for her. She loves my writing cabin's front yard and I think she's thinking that it is the Presidential Suite of dog pens out here.

After I took these pictures of her, Tony opened up Buttermilk's back door hatch to show me the boxes filled full of Peggy Sue's cute toys, leashes, etc., that this super sweet couple had sent back with her.



Tonight I plan to re-watch the movie, On Golden Pond, one of my favorite movies. Tomorrow, after we do our morning chores outside, we need to do one more do-over and that is to go back to Kerrville, to hopefully buy gas and get my Coffee Mate. And that is about it for tonight.

Y'all have a great evening!

No comments: