Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Secrets!

The first day of the new year has been great. First, I overslept and did not climb out of bed until 8:45. I don't feel guilty about it, because I love sleeping with our dogs.

For breakfast, I cooked Leisa, Rick and Tony bacon and a very tall pile of Aretha Frankenstein's Insanely Great Pancakes. They loved the pancakes even though I had to cook Aretha's pancakes using milk instead of buttermilk, which is the major ingredient for making the pancakes delicious. The reason that I was out of buttermilk was because yesterday, Tony not knowing that I was going to need it for the pancakes, drank up all of the buttermilk.

After Rick, Leisa, Tony and I did the morning chores outside, Kinky called me, "Nance, call me as soon as you get this message. I've got some exciting news..." So, I got excited and called Kinky immediately, even though I didn't know what his exciting news was. As soon as Kinky picked up the phone he said, "Nance, you're not going to believe the great news....." And Kinky was right about that, but unfortunately I can't tell y'all the great news yet, because it is a secret.

Before Kinky and I adios-ed each other he told me that he was hungry and couldn't decide what to eat, so I told him about having seven, leftover, Aretha Frankenstein pancakes that he could have. Five minutes later, I was sitting in Kinky's kitchen, watching him eat two pancakes, as we talked about our big secret. Before I left the Lodge I invited him to come over and eat lunch with us and he told me that he might, because he wasn't sure if he was going to Kerrville to eat lunch.

When I returned home, I immediately told Leisa, Rick & Tony our secret and they got all excited, too. One hour later, when Carol arrived, to eat lunch with us, I told her the secret and like the rest of us, she got all excited about it. Then Leisa, Carol and I cooked up the four pounds of fresh, two-day-old, Gulf shrimp, that he had brought up from Port Aransas. Before we started to eat I called Kinky to invite him over and he said, "Dylan is on his way out here and we might come over in a little while..."

The grilled shrimp and the sauteed shrimp were mouth-watering delicious and so was my homemade split pea and ham soup, that we had to drink out of coffee mugs, because all four of my bowls were in use. (Two of them were in Ginger's portable puppy pen.)

Our healthy feast was so delicious—we ate all of the shrimp and soup, so while Leisa, Carol and I cleaned up the kitchen, I asked Tony, "Would you mind calling Kinky and telling him not to come over, because we ate all of the shrimp and soup and Carol is fixin' to go home and all of us want to take naps?" Tony did and Kinky thought it was very funny that we ate it all.

When I finished my sleepless nap with Mama, Roy, Belle and Beau, I took this cute picture of Roy resting and using Belle as his pillow. He's perfect, so sweet and such a great dog.


Late this afternoon, I baked a peach cobbler, because Rick and Tony love it so much. While it baked, I called Kinky and asked him if he wanted some peach cobbler. "Yes, I would love some and I know Chet definitely does..."

Because of my temporary bowl shortage, Rick and I used plates to eat the cobbler that was topped off with Blue Bell Vanilla ice cream and we joked about it being difficult to eat the ice cream, as it melted on our plates. Tony was the lucky one and he ate his out of our only bowl, while Leisa put her cobbler and ice cream in a large mug.

When we finished eating our dessert, I told them that I needed to take the rest of the peach cobbler over to Kinky, so he and Chet could finish it off. When I started to put the half-full carton of ice cream into a thermal bag, Rick looked startled and asked, "You're not taking the ice cream over there, too?" We started laughing.

"Yes Rick. My peach cobbler has to be eaten with vanilla ice cream."

"But what am I going to do if I want to eat some ice cream later on tonight?" Rick teased.

 "Go over to Kinky's," I joked. Then I left and went over to Kinky's to deliver a half eaten peach cobbler and the ice cream.

When I returned home, we got ready to go over to Carol's ranch, so we could eat some of her homemade black-eyed peas—for luck in 2014. On our way over to Carol's we teased Rick about me taking the ice cream over to Kinky's and him having to do without. Right before we arrived at Carol's gate, I jokingly remarked, "Rick, you should know this by now. When you come see us it is always BYOB. Bring your own bowl and Blue Bell." Then I jumped out of Buttermilk, so I could open Carol's gate.

We had a lot of fun over at Carol's and her black-eyed peas, that she served in big bowls, were the very best black-eyed peas that I've ever eaten, so I asked her how she cooked them. She joked that it was a secret, then she told all of us.

When we got back home and I walked inside The Cabin, Roy greeted me with kisses, that he normally doesn't do and then I knew why he was being so sweet to me. Yes, Roy, my hero dog, had once again robbed the trash can. When Leisa, Tony and Rick walked inside a few seconds later, I said, "Roy's done it again."

"Let me get a broom and clean it up," Rick said, as he went to go get the broom.

"Let me take a picture of Roy's mess, first, so I can document it," I said. Then I grabbed my camera, so I could document Roy's latest robbery. As I started to take this picture, Roy stepped back into the picture frame, to make sure that he hadn't left any shrimp heads, on the floor and to prove once again that he was guilty as charged.


While Tony and Rick quickly swept up the trash on the floor, I told Leisa about me shaming Roy on my blog recently and the Bandera County Courier picking up the story and running a funny story about me shaming Roy, in their fabulous newspaper. It was in their October 10th edition. And y'all that is about it for tonight, because I must go to bed.

Y'all have a great New Year!

No comments: