Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Chet O'Keefe's Music Rocks!

Today has been great. Late this afternoon Tony and I asked our dear friend, Chet O'Keefe, if he would please come over and play and sing some of his awesome songs, that he has written, because Carol, Tony and I have been dying to hear more of his music, after listening to his incredibly great Game Bird cd.

When he said, "I would love to play for you." I immediately called Carol back and told her that Chet was coming over, in just a few minutes, to play some of his music for us, in Outer Space. And I am not sure who was more excited about it.

When Chet and Carol arrived, almost at the exact same time, Tony had already gotten my Benz-Genz amp, out of my writing cabin and had it ready to go, in Outer Space. After I welcomed them, at the gate, Chet teased Carol about the quirky, fictional character, that I had created for her, in my Cowgirl Sisterhood novellas. Carol laughed and said, "None of it is true. She made all of it up." And, I did.

When we went into Outer Space, Chet started getting his guitar out of the case and said, "I forgot to grab my guitar jack."

"Not a problem," I said. "You can use mine." Then I took off to go fetch it.

When I went back into Outer Space, with my pink guitar jack, Chet and Carol started laughing when they saw that it was Pepto Bismol pink and after a few funny jokes about it being pink, Chet joked, "Well, at least, I'll be wearing the right color, burnt orange, in Nancy's pictures, for her blog tonight." A few minutes later, after Chet had adjusted my amp to get the right sound that he likes, Chet started playing and singing his awesome songs for us and our rescued dogs outside.


Chet's magical, musical talent mesmerised us with each and every song, and every time that I looked over at Carol or Tony we just kept smiling and shaking our heads, in disbelief, that his music was so great. 

After Chet had played about six or seven fabulous songs, that he had written, he took a break. While Carol, Tony and I raved and complimented him on his talents, I said, "Chet, I know that you're going to be the next musician to hit it big time and we are going to get to brag that we knew you when. Willie Nelson, Billly Joe Shaver and Kinky have signed my guitar and I want you to sign it and date it."

"Sure," Chet replied. Then I left and went inside The Cabin to get my guitar. When I returned I handed my guitar to Chet and said, "Let me hold your Martin, so you can sign it." Chet handed me his awesome guitar to hold. Then Tony took this picture of Chet signing and dating my guitar for me.


After Chet signed and dated my awesome guitar, I thanked him. While I was still holding his beautiful sounding guitar in my hand, I said, in a serious voice, "Okay, now I can sign yours!" It was hilarious, because there was actually a moment of silence and you could have heard a pin drop, then I started laughing and then they started laughing, too. "I got ya." Then we exchanged guitars.

When we finally quit laughing and making jokes about me putting Chet on the spot, he picked up his guitar, again and to our delight, he started singing some of his latest songs that he has written. 

During Chet's awesome mini-Concert For Utopia, in Outer Space, I took this short, 18 second video of him, just to show y'all how great of a musician Chet O'Keefe really is, because we are so excited about him also going to be performing, at the Concert For Utopia, on April 13th, at the Cailloux Theatre, at 3:30, along with Jesse Dayton, Ray Benson & Asleep At The Wheel and Billy Joe Shaver.

Around 6:00, the sun had gone behind the mountain, the temperature outside started dropping, Chet was tired and Carol needed to leave, so we thanked Chet over and over again for playing his fabulous songs for us. 

Along with the sweet comment made early this morning, on last night's post, by Cathy and getting to have a private, Chet O'Keefe, awesome mini-concert, in Outer Space, is what made my day so great. A special day that Carol, Tony and I shall never forget. And that is about it for tonight, because after hearing Chet skillfully playing his guitar, I really do need to practice on my guitar a whole lot. Chet O'Keefe's Music Rocks and so will the Concert For Utopia, on April 13th!

P.S. Kinky, Brian Molnar and Chet O'Keefe loved the Thai food, at the Thai Ocha restaurant, too! Kinky told me this morning that they all plan to go back there soon.

Y'all have a great evening!

No comments: