Saturday, October 12, 2013

Springsteen!

Today has been great and so was last night when I received an e-mail from Carol. Her subject title was "Roy Is Famous." She wrote to tell me that my friend, Judith Pannebaker, the great editor for the Bandera County Courier, one of my favorite newspapers to read, had written a very funny story titled "Dog Shaming at Utopia Rescue Ranch" about me shaming my dog, Roy Rogers, in a blog titled "Grease Guilt" that I had written on September 26th.

So I immediately picked up the newspaper and read Judith's entertaining story. Then I took the newspaper into Tony's office for him to read and he and Roy loved it, too, but it made Mama jealous and she left the room, when I read it out loud to Belle, Abbie and Beau, in the kitchen. I think Abbie and Belle enjoyed my reading of the article about Roy, but I am not sure about Beau, because I think he has attention deficit disorder. Anyway, I want to thank Judith and the newspaper for all they do to help our rescue ranch and do a shout out to them. "I Love The Bandera County Courier!

This morning around 10:00, the parents and their super cool kids, members of the East Kerr 4-H club, came out and walked some dogs for us. Tony and I love it when this group of 4-H'ers come out to volunteer, because they are so caring, nice, polite and fun to work with. Tony took this picture of us after they had walked our dogs.



Before the East Kerr 4-H club left to go home, Alexa, was delivered to us. Last week a very nice woman had called me to ask for our help, because in August they had rescued a sweet stray, in Kerrville. She told me that they had done everything they could to find the owners, by putting up posters, asking nearby neighbors where she had been found and running ads in the newspaper. Molly then told me that they had fallen in love with this great, perfect dog, but when Alexa had frightened their oldest, rescued pot-bellied pig and caused him to have a stroke, she and her husband decided that they must find Alexa a home, as soon as possible, to protect their seven rescued pigs. 

I told Molly that I would have to talk to Tony about it and get back to her. When I showed Tony the picture of Alexa that Molly had e-mailed to me, he asked me to call Molly back and tell her, "Yes, we can take her." And I did.


When Alexa arrived, Molly's nice husband put Alexa in Red Fox's former pen and Alexa seemed nervous. When it was time for Kirk to drive away Alexa seemed to get even more stressed out, so I asked Brandon to please take Alexa for a long walk down to the creek, to try to help divert her stress.

When Brandon and Alexa returned she seemed to be calmer. When the East Kerr 4-H girls started talking to her and petting her that seemed to help, too. While this was going on I said, "Y'all help me rename Alexa, since she is starting a new life here." In less than thirty-seconds, they had renamed her Grace Kelly, because she is such a beautiful, sweet dog. Then it was time for them to leave, so we thanked them and invited them to please come back.

After they had left, I asked Brandon to help me. "Grace needs a roommate now, to help her adjust. Let's take Grace and Tom Landry for a long walk to see if they like each other." Thirty minutes later, Brandon and I returned the dogs to the rescue ranch and we put Tom and his pretty girlfriend, in Tom's pen and they were both very happy about it.


Then Brandon and I went up to The Cabin, so I could cook the three of us lunch, but Tony had already started. "We're having cornbread and beans," he announced, as he stood by the oven stirring the beans.

"And beef fajitas," I said. Two minutes later, the fajitas were also cooking on the stove top. Then I left Tony in charge and went over to the Lodge, so I could show Kinky the cute article that Judith had written about my Roy. And like me, they loved reading the article. Then I came back home and ate a delicious lunch.

(I promise, I'm almost done. It's been a really busy day.) Late this afternoon around 4:00, a nice woman named June, from Dallas and her friend, arrived with Banjo, a super sweet dog, that she had rescued, in Dallas. She told us that he is an escape artist, as we watched him trying to climb out of the pen, that we had just put him in, which is probably how he originally got lost. He is one-year-old, neutered, been given all of his shots and tomorrow or Monday, we will take Banjo, who we are renaming Springsteen, because he is born to run, into Hoegemeyers, to start his heart worm treatments.

After June and her friend left the rescue ranch, Tony and I spent about forty minutes, reinforcing his pen with four inch cattle panel and Tony did most of the work. Here is a quick picture that I took of him behind bars and I think he is very handsome and because of his eyes he looks a lot like Grace Kelly.


When Tony and I finally came back inside The Cabin, we caught Roy licking up the grease that he had just spilled on our kitchen floor, next to the empty plastic fajitas bag, that he had pulled out of the trash can. But, because of Judith's article in the newspaper and because I love Roy so much and he loves H-E-B's fajitas, as much as we do, the only thing that I could do was laugh, then take a picture of the licked-out fajita bag and his newest grease stain for evidence. And that is about it for tonight, because I'm so tired from our very busy day.

Y'all have a great evening!

No comments: