Wednesday, August 28, 2013

I Win!

Today has been quiet. Late this afternoon, Karon came over with the kids, from the Medina Children's Home, so they could walk our dog for us. Brothers, Alex and Andrew, love Chad and Jeremy, so they leashed them up. Brooke and Sophia chose Layla and Little Girl to walk, down to the creek.



Then I decided to have some fun and asked Brandon if he wanted to go kayaking. Then he and I walked back to the rescue ranch to get them. Ten minutes later Tony and Brandon were unloading our kayaks out of the back of Trigger.

With Karon, the kids and Brandon watching and laughing, on the shore, I tried to get on my kayak, in the water, with Tony's help, but I was so nervous of falling down, I suggested that Brandon go first, using my kayak, so I could shoot him.


As Brandon happily paddled around the creek, I half-hollered, "Is it leaking, yet?" Brandon shot me a quizzical look. "Mine had a hole in it and Ben patched it for me last year." Brandon frowned, as we burst out laughing. "Are you getting wet?"

"My seat is," Brandon replied, followed by a laugh, as he quickly rowed to shore, before sinking. When he got off of my kayak we checked it to see if it was full of water. It wasn't—thanks to Ben's patchwork. Then Brandon happily jumped on Tony's bigger kayak to try it out and we helped shove him off shore. 

"Okay, Tony. Please help me get on mine," I said. Tony repositioned mine, half in the water, held my arm tight, as I slowly sank and more or less landed on top of my kayak.

"Try to slide back down into the seat," Tony suggested, before laughing at me. Then I awkwardly slid backwards and with a loud thump, I dropped my rear into the wet bucket seat. Karon and the kids were laughing as Tony pushed me off of the gravel and into the creek.

Brandon and I paddled around the creek for a while and I was really enjoying it and so was Brandon.


When we had paddled down the creek a ways, I suggested, "Let's race back, Brandon," as I purposefully steered my kayak ahead, in front of Brandon. Then I yelled, "Go!" Brandon started laughing, because he knew that I was cheating and was much further ahead of him. We both started paddling as fast as we could.

As the kids cheered for Bama to win, with Karon and Tony shooting us with their Canon cameras, I knew that Brandon was about to pass me, so I held up my fist and yelled, "I win!" Everyone started laughing about me deciding where the finish line was, so I could be the winner, including Brandon, as he swiftly paddled past me.


We kayaked for about an hour, before docking. And Tony came this close to having to ask Brandon to help him pull me out of my kayak. And that is about it for tonight.


Y'all have a great evening!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I love reading these. I don't get here every single day. But I do stop once a week. This always brings a smile to my face to see you guys here. We miss yawl a lot. It was so much like being home. Thank you. Plus yawl an the kids {4 legged ones}always find that smile I missed while Brandon was growing up.

cousin nancy said...

Hi Lynn. It is good to hear from you. Brandon, Tony and I miss y'all, too. Please send us some rain.