Sunday, July 24, 2011

Warning! It's A Long One!

Early yesterday morning when I got out of bed I would have never dreamed what a great day was in store for me or for Tony, Kinky and our rescued dogs. Tony and I went outside and did our morning chores earlier than usual, because Ike, his friend from Medina and Ike's wife Amy and their cute grand daughter Kayla were going to come out around 9:00 to see if we had a dog that they wanted to adopt and we did.

After T. gave them a tour of the rescue ranch, while I finished cleaning the pens, Ike told us that he liked Festus, but he and Amy asked Kayla to make the final decision for them and she chose Festus. We were delighted that she picked Festus, even though Lois Lane, his new roommate as of Friday didn't want him to leave, because they had fallen in love with each other. Here are a couple of goodbye pictures I took of Festus fixing to leave us and go to his new forever home.



As soon as T. and I came inside the trailer I called Kinky to tell him the great news about Festus getting a great home on a big ranch and Kinky was thrilled for Festus. "Nance, Dylan and I are fixing to head to Bandera for the induction. Y'all are coming?"

"Yes, as soon as we get cleaned up and dressed. Maribeth called earlier and she is on her way over to babysit the ranch for us and she should be here any minute..." After I showered, I braided my white hair ponytail and then I put on a little mascara, which I only put on for very special occasions and then I began dressing up in my cowgirl clothes when there was a knock on the front door, "It's me, Maribeth."

"Hi, Maribeth!" I half-hollered, from our bedroom. "Come on in. I'm getting dressed and Tony is down the hall in the shower. I just need a minute." After I had tied a pink bandana around my neck I put on my favorite cowboy hat and then I walked into the kitchen to greet Maribeth.

 But before I could say anything she said, "Nancy, you look so cute! I love that blouse and that pink bandana. Oh no, there is spot on your sleeve. Wet down a paper towel and let me see if I can get it off." Fifteen seconds, Maribeth had made the spot disappear. When T. walked into the big room Maribeth told him there was a black pup running around outside, so he left to find the pup, which was perfect timing, because I could not wait to visit with my dear friend and catch up with her news.

A few minutes later Tone returned to the trailer and said, "It was Candace Bergen who got out. She dug out, but I fixed the hole. Nance, we need to get on the road if we are going to find a good parking place that's not a half mile away from the Court House." I grabbed my purse and camera and then we adios-ed Maribeth and took off in Trigger.

When we arrived in Bandera, Highway 16 (Its main street.) was filled with tourists, cowboys and cowgirls sitting on their on horses or in horse drawn carriages or wagons and I loved it. Fortunately, we found a fairly close place to park Trigger and we arrived at the tent on the Court House lawn ten minutes before the 2011 Frontier Times Museum Texas Heroes Hall of Fame induction ceremony started and it was standing room only for us, because there was not one vacant chair left, inside the tent, so we walked around the tent and found us a place outside the tent where we could watch the ceremony and then we visited with our friends Dylan, Drake and Karlen, Suellen and her husband, Dusty and Martha and Big G until the ceremony commenced.

The induction ceremony was really great. Kinky was the last to be inducted and as always he was so funny—he had the crowd begging for more. This picture is of him before he read, The Navigator, his beautiful piece about his father.


After the ceremony Kinky was mobbed by the crowd wanting to shake his hand, get a picture taken with him, etc. so I held his beautiful, wooden plaque that he had received, so he could sign autographs, etc.



 Kinky visiting with fellow inductee Scooter Fries

Twenty minutes later after Kinky's fans had gotten what they wanted, Tony went to lock Kinky's plaque in Trigger, while Dylan, Big G, Drake and Karlen, Kinky and I started walking to the Frontier Times Museum for a private reception held in honor of the inductees.

The reception was really fun and the food was delicious, too. I visited with many friends like: author Kathleen Hudson, Jeannie B., Bandera's favorite famous cowgirl, the one who I used to ride with when Cindy and I would go on one of her fun two hour horseback rides, Big G, the popular Hill Country radio host on the REV radio, Dylan, Drake and Karlen, but I must say the most important conversation I had at the museum was with Cliff, Drakes brother.

"Cousin Nancy, I need to ask you something," Cliff said. "Do y'all have any small dogs?" My face lit up and it wasn't because of a hot flash.

"Yes! Yesterday evening at 5:00, we rescued Peter Sellers and he is absolutely adorable and he is real tiny," I said, as Cliff started to chuckle. "How much does Peter Sellers weigh, Tony?"

"Four or five pounds," Tony said, as he handed Cliff one of our Utopia business cards.

Nudie made for him, were on display behind Kinky.


An hour later Kinky and Dylan took off and Tone and I left to get back to the ranch. Before we came home we drove over to Kinky's Lodge to drop off his pretty plaque and that's when T. shot me looking goofy, in Kinky's kitchen.


When we got home Maribeth told us about two nice women from Spring Branch showing up and her giving them a tour and then the dogs started barking outside, so Tony left the trailer to see what was going on, so Maribeth and I started visiting and we totally forgot about Tony and twenty minutes later he surprised us when he walked inside the trailer and said, "Fred Flintstone has just been adopted. Will you get his adoption papers ready?"

Three minutes later we adios-ed Maribeth, so she could get back home in Utopia and then we jumped into Kermit and adopted out Fred to some very nice people and here is a picture of Fred.


After Fred and his new family drove away we jumped into Kermit and took off for the trailer. "Tony, this is so exciting! I can't believe that we have had two adoptions today. Kinky is going to love this." 

Right after we walked inside the trailer the phone rang and I am so glad that I did, because it was Drake's brother Cliff. "Cousin Nancy, would it be okay if Arden and I come out to the rescue ranch to meet Peter Sellers?"

"Sure, Cliff! When?"

"How about now? We're in Bandera and can be there in thirty or so minutes."

After we adios-ed each other I looked at Tony and said, "That was Cliff. He and his family are in Bandera and they are coming out right now to meet Peter Sellers! I can't believe this!" And then in hopes that they would like Peter I went ahead and wrote up Peter Sellers adoption form to save time.

Well, they didn't like Peter Sellers—they loved him and he loved them back and P.S. could not quit wagging his tail as their son Tommy held him in his arms, next to his cute sister Sarah! 


After Cliff signed off on Peter Sellers' adoption form I invited everyone to come up to the trailer, because I wanted to show Cliff my guitar, because he has a Les Paul and loves guitars, too. And that is when Cliff and Arden told me the cool story about Arden having a dream the night before, about them adopting a small dog and when she told Cliff about her dream and him saying that it was fine with him to get a small dog and then when we met and I told him about Peter Sellers—it was all meant to be. "It was in the stars" that they were meant to adopt Peter Sellers and I totally agree with them.

Cliff loved my guitar and Tony and I were really impressed with his guitar playing skills, but we were not impressed with Tony's dog Belle acting silly and jumping up on everyone. After a fun, short visit we went outside to get Peter Sellers and he was thrilled when T. picked him up and handed him to Tommy, sitting in the backseat with Sarah and then we wished them good luck with P. S. and then they drove away to take Pete to his new fantastic, forever home. 

When I walked inside the trailer I picked up the phone and punched in Kinky's phone number and he was thrilled about us having found great homes for Festus, Fred and Peter Sellers and now you know why I did not write a blog last night, because I have spent this whole afternoon writing about what a great day yesterday was.

Y'all have a great evening and please keep praying for rain for us!

No comments: