Friday, July 22, 2011

L—BeNT & Husky Bound's New Drummer!

Today has been good. This morning after returning several phone calls I went outside to clean pens and greet Eileen, Lisa and Jim, our great dog walking volunteers. Jim and I talked briefly about a leash strategy for Mr. Rogers and Miss Dee, after he had returned Layla and Little Girl to their pen.

A little while later when Lisa and Eileen were returning Laz and LaToya to their pen I went over to them and said, "Hi Eileen and Lisa.... Lisa, did you bring your ukulele with you, so we can practice?"

Thirty minutes later, after Tony and I had finished cleaning the dog pens, Tony drove Kermit and Lisa, Eileen and I walked up to the trailer and before we got there we were talking about Eileen being our band's Roadie and Sound Woman and after Eileen told us that she wished that she could play an instrument she says, "But, I bet I could play the drums though." Her words struck a chord.

"Eileen, I've got a drum kit for you to play! When we get to the trailer please remind me to get it for you, so you can give it a try. And I warn you—it's addictive." Then Eileen, our Roadie helped Lisa get her amp out of her car and carried it up the trailer, because she wanted to be a "good Roadie." Then Eileen plugged in our amps for us and then she sat down in the kitchen to watch us practice.

Right off of the bat, no one wanted to sing, so we all decided if we all sang as badly as we all said we did, no one would get embarrassed. Then we started playing and singing and every time that I would look up, Eileen would be smiling at me and tapping her toe and then I finally remembered that I had forgotten to get the drum kit out for Eileen, so I put my guitar back into its case and then went to my office to get my drum kit and pretty pink drumsticks.

And as soon as I had given Eileen my glittering, feathered sticks, plugged the kit into the kitchen wall socket and turned it on—Eileen blew us out of our saddles with her drumming skills! "OMG!" I said. "Eileen you play the drums so much better than I do and I took lessons. Y'all we've got a drummer!"

"Eileen you are playing great!" Lisa half-hollered, so Eileen could hear her over her drumming. In fact, the three of us were so impressed with Eileen's drumming I grabbed my camera and pretended to be taking still shots of her while I secretly took this short video of her unrehearsed drum recital. And here are a few pictures that Tony and I took of our band members with the exception of Ben, because he is in Austin.




When our practice session ended I persuaded Eileen to borrow my drum kit and take it home with her, so she could practice on it, outside in her new/used RV trailer, so not to drive Wayne crazy. And before the two band members packed up their equipment I said, "Eileen, we are so excited about you being our drummer, because we really needed one and we girls can just get Ben and Tony to be our Roadies and Sound Men. I'm sure they won't mind." Then Tony adios-ed them and then walked out of the room laughing at something.

Right after I had cleaned up our lunch dishes our friend Andy Hickner called to thank me for mentioning his son's new children's book, "A Bear & The Bees," on my blog last night and I told him that there was no need to thank me, because I love Hayden's book and I want everyone to read it and then we talked about Hayden's exciting, upcoming book signing on Thursday, the 28th at the Medina Community Library at 9:30 am. and about us getting together the week following Hayden's book signing for a fun visit. Then we talked about our mutual friends Sandy and Jon Wolfmueller and Charlie and Ellen Cooper and what good people they are. And after that he and I adios-ed each other.

Around 2:00, I picked up the phone and called Tammy back, about a cute, little male dog that she had rescued off of Highway 16 and I told her that we could take it, because we now had a space open up, because Enzo had been adopted this past Wednesday and she was thrilled that we could take him in. Before hanging up she told me that she would bring him out here around 5:00.

And Tammy didn't lie, because she and the small, sweet dog showed up at 5:00 and Tony and I instantly fell in love with him and I have named him Peter Sellers, because I loved Peter Sellers and this adorable dog reminds me of him, but I told Tony that we will call him Pete for short. 




Early this evening Tony called our dear friend Maribeth to see if she could come over to babysit the rescue ranch for us tomorrow, because we are going to go see Kinky get inducted into the 2011 Frontier Times Museum Texas Heroes Hall of Fame, on the Courthouse grounds, in Bandera, at high noon and she said, "Yes, I would love to. I'll see y'all tomorrow." Thank you, Maribeth.

And that is about it for today.

Y'all have a great evening and please keep praying for rain for us!

3 comments:

Fay said...

Congrats to Kinky, can't wait to hear all about it.

Wow, I love Peter Sellers too and can't count how many times I have watched the Pink Panther and The Party on DVD.

"Does your dog bite?"
Non.
(reaches down and dog snarls viciously and bites him)
"I thought you said your dog does not bite!"
"zees is not my dog!"

LMAO!

Eileen said...

You're a rascal, Nancy! Thanks for "discovering" me, though! You can be my manager when I start getting us gigs and then leave the band to go solo! HA,HA!!!!

Susie said...

Oh he looks like little Toto.