Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Supreme Pizza!

Today has been a wonderful day. This morning while I was outside cleaning the pens I wondered which one of our fabulous dogs was going to be adopted today, because earlier in the week Mr. Brad E. had called to tell me that when he came to pick up his three children from Echo Hill Camp—they wanted to come over and adopt another dog from us, because their old dog had passed away in April and Ringo, the dog that they had adopted from us, three years ago, needed a companion.

Around 11:00, while I was dressing after my shower, Brad and his three nice kids arrived and by the time I got outside to greet them—Tony had showed them most of our dogs. "We really like Enzo," Brad E. said, "But I think the kids want to look at those pups."

"The bigger pup is Candace Bergen and the smaller one is George Clooney and that's their mama, Martha Stewart," I said, as the kids petted the happy puppies, while Brad showed us a picture of Ringo on his cell phone.

After I had told them about naming Enzo Swift after the dog in Garth Stein's The Art Of Racing In The Rain which is now officially Kinky's, Tony's and my all time favorite book, Brad's daughter told me that she had read the book and had loved it, too. Then Brad told us that he looked forward to reading it, too and then we walked over to Enzo's pen, so they could take him for a short walk. After Tone had a leash on Enzo he handed the leash to Brad's youngest son to see how Enzo walked on a leash with him and Enzo Swift did beautifully and that cinched his adoption and we were thrilled.

Before I went up to the trailer to fill out Enzo's adoption papers Tony took a picture of Enzo with his new fantastic, forever family. Then Brad stood back and took a picture of Enzo with his kids so he could e-mail it to his wife in Houston, before they got home.


After Brad E. had signed off on Enzo's adoption form the kids helped their father rearrange the back of their packed SUV so Enzo would be comfortable on his trip home and before leaving they told us that they liked his name and that they were not going to rename Enzo Swift and that made me tear up, because our/their Enzo is a great dog just like the one in Stein's book. After we thanked them for adopting another big, black dog from us Brad thanked us for doing a what we do. Then they drove away with one of the coolest and happiest dogs in Texas.

On our way back to the trailer I looked at the adoption form and noticed that I had forgotten to give them the envelope with Enzo's paperwork and that's when we decided to go to Medina to mail them Enzo's paperwork and to eat lunch at Papa Don's Pizza & Wings, after I called Kinky in Las Vegas, to tell him the great news about Enzo. And to say the least Kink was thrilled that his friend Brad E. and his family had adopted Enzo and he told me that he was sick that he wasn't here for Enzo's adoption, because he had really wanted to see Brad and his children and say good bye to Enzo.

After we mailed Enzo's papers we walked into Papa Don's Pizza & Wings and it was packed with pizza and wings lovers and after we ordered a supreme pizza with jalapenos on regular crust we sat down at a table and talked about the weather with some of the locals we knew. And because Papa Don's Pizza & Wings pizza's are so delicious—I ate two slices and because of that—I walked four miles with Leslie Sansone as soon as we got home and then I did some paperwork.

Early this evening Tony and I jammed in the big room for about forty minutes and I am so amazed at how much his mandolin playing skills have improved. Then I checked my e-mail and my friend Curt from Terlingua sent me a video to watch of four tenor men singing Amazing Grace in Rome and it was so beautiful and I hope that you will check it out, because I promise it will lift your spirit and the middle part of the video totally surprised me and caught me off guard.

And that is about it for today.

Y'all have a great evening and please keep praying for rain for us.

No comments: