Saturday, July 30, 2011

Get Into The Woods! or Yes, It's In A Jar!

Yesterday around three-thirty Tony walked inside the trailer and said, "Sherry's pet deer is over here and she won't leave." Then he picked up the phone and punched in Robert and Sherry's, our great neighbors,  phone number and he left a message to let them know one of their Axis deer was over here. Then we went outside to find it, but we didn't have to go far because it was standing at our front yard gate.

"Oh Tony, she's absolutely beautiful," I said, as I petted her.

"I think her name is Rose," T. said, as he began petting her too. "She's not scared of dogs because she plays with Robert and Sherry's dogs. You should have seen her trying to play with Rocky and Lucy a minute ago."

"Tony, if you will get me a bucket of corn I will be glad to try to walk her back over to Sherry and Robert's." Five minutes later Rosie and I walked out of the rescue ranch with Kermit and Tony slowly following.

When we reached the creek Rose drank some water and then we climbed the hill and then she went into the forest near the corral. "Come on Rosie were halfway there. Come on girl," I said, trying to coax her to come out of the woods. Finally after ten minutes of trying to get Rose to follow me, we decided to give up and that's when we heard the loud sound of rolling thunder, but it wasn't thunder in the skies—it was five horses stampeding towards us!

"Get into the woods!" Tony said, as the ground trembled beneath us and the six horses, about twenty feet away from us, ran at breakneck speed past us.

"I wonder what that was all about?" I said, as the horses began slowing to a walk.

"Something must have spooked them," Tone said, as he poured out some corn for Rosie on the road, that leads to the corral, so she wouldn't follow us back to the rescue ranch.

"Maybe so, but they're headed our way now. They must have smelled the corn. Why don't you give them some corn, so they don't follow us home too." After T. poured out the corn for the horses we jumped into Kermit and came home.

When we came inside the trailer I checked Carlton to see if we had any new messages. "Tony and Nancy, this is Sherry. Robert just left to go find her. Bye."

About an hour or so later Tony went outside and Rosie was back, standing at our front yard gate again, so he came back inside and called Sherry to tell her that Rosie was back and she told T. that they would be over in just a minute to get her.

A few minutes later, while we petted Rosie near our gate, Rosie's ears pricked when she heard the sound of their pickup coming. When they pulled up I joked, "I think Rose loves our rescue ranch or else she came back to get rescued. I love this deer."

"Her name is Bentley," Sherry said. "We just recently rescued her and...Come on Bentley. Let's go home." Bentley didn't budge. "Bentley, come on girl." Bentley didn't move and just stared at Sherry. Robert and Tony started laughing. "Now Bentley, come on girl."

"I guess we could use her as a statue in front of our trailer," I joked. "A living statue that is."

Five minutes later Sherry had gotten Bentley to take a few steps and then T. jokingly suggested that they put her inside their pickup to take her home. Then after a funny remark from Robert we started laughing, as the deer stood there staring at us.

Then Sherry and Robert decided that he would pick Bentley up and put her into the back of their truck to ride home with Sherry, so she wouldn't be scared.


But that didn't work out because the two times Robert put Bentley in the truck bed with Sherry—Bentley would leap out and that's when I said, "Hey, why don't y'all borrow one of our big dog cages?"

"We've got a big one that I know she will fit it." Tony said. "I'll go get it." Then he jumped into Trigger and took off. Five minutes later Robert lifted Bentley and put her into our giant dog cage and then we adios-ed each other and they drove away.

Around 7:30 last night some friends that Tony had grown up with in Medina, Judy Eoff and her sister Dusty Scovel, who was visiting her from New Mexico, came out to visit us in Outer Space and Tony and I really enjoyed seeing them. We laughed a lot and around dark-thirty we made them promise, before leaving, to come back and visit us soon.

Today has been pretty quiet. Late this afternoon Kinky called, "Nance, do y'all have any peanut butter?"

"Yes, we do."

"I'm nearly out. Can I borrow some?" Then he started laughing. "I mean, can you give me some."

"Sure, I can put some in a baggie and bring it over to you right now." Kinky started laughing again.

"Put some in a baggie? Why? Don't you have it in a jar?" Then I started laughing.

"Yes, it's in a jar, but Tony and I like our peanut butter and the jar's nearly full and we don't want to be without peanut butter and that's why I suggested putting it into a baggie."

"I still have a little left in my jar, so just bring your jar and we'll put some into my jar."

Kinky greeted us at his gate, when we pulled up in Trigger and the first thing I did when we went inside the Lodge was transfer some of our crunchy peanut butter into Kinky's almost empty crunchy peanut butter jar. Then he quickly made himself a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, grabbed his coffee and sat down at the kitchen table and Tony and I had a fun visit with him as he ate his PB&J sandwich.

"Ronnie called me yesterday about a clip on tuner. He just got one and he loves it and he said it makes it so easy to tune his guitars."

"I used one once. They are odd looking, but they are great."

"Well, that is good to know because I bought two of them yesterday. One for me and one to give to Ben. I can get you one if you want me to."

"Yes, please do. It would be great for me to have when I'm out on the road." After we had helped Kink fill his many Hummingbird feeders and had talked about his upcoming scheduled dates and "Don" not giving us any rain as promised by the weathermen, we adios-ed each other and Trigger brought us home and first thing I did was get online and buy Kinky a Snark 2. 

Y'all have a great evening and please keep praying for rain for us!

1 comment:

Mari of the NoMads said...

Wow - our neighbor has a pet axis doe who thinks she is a dog too! She was raised with dogs, slept in the doghouses with them, and will join them in attacking raccoons by biting the coons, etc.! She's afraid of deer, though, so the gorgeous big 'paramour' axis buck that visits her every year has no chance of winning her affections.
Warning - "Annie" loves loves LOVES peppermint candies. Don't ever feed your neighbor's axis doe any or she'll NEVER leave!