Friday, July 29, 2011

Snark! or The Being!

Continued from yesterday...

Yesterday after Tony and I ate lunch we started tearing out the old floor boards in the hallway, so we could replace them with new ones and an hour later we were disappointed because we had run out of new pine boards, but the good news was we had replaced over half of the hallway and the new part really looked pretty.

Around two o'clock Ronnie called me and he was all excited. "Nance, I just bought this new guitar tuner and it  so easy to use. You just clip it on and..."

"Ronnie, I already have three electronic tuners and I still have a hard time tuning my guitar."

"I know me too. I found out about this tuner the other night when I went over to play some music with Jerry and Tom. Jerry had just bought one and he told me to try it and oh my god, Nance—it was so simple to tune. It's called a Snark 2 and they're cheap. We're talkin' $12.95 and the shipping is free!"

"They're called a what?" I asked. Then he spelled it out for me. "Okay, Ron. I'll get one."

"I promise that you are going to love it. And Tony can use it too on your mandolin. Whoops, Nance. I've got to take this call. You take care. Bye." Then he hung up before I could adios him.

Because Ronnie had gotten me so excited about this Snark 2 tuner I immediately got on my laptop computer and went to eBay and even though the Snark 2 was pretty weird looking I bought two of them, because they were so cheap. Then I made a phone call.

"Hello. This is Ben."

"OMG, Ben! Ronnie just called and you're not going to believe this..." Then I told him what all Ronnie had said about the Snark 2 tuner.

"Sounds cool, Nance," Ben said.

"I know."

"But what did you say it was called?"

After I spelled it out for him I said, "I just bought two off of eBay and one has your name on it."

"Well, thank you, Nance, but you shouldn't have." Then we caught up with each other's news and then I told him about our musician friend Monk Burris coming out to play some music with us in about an hour and that he was bringing his Martin guitar to prove once and for all to me that my guitar, that Ronnie built for me back in 2002, really does out play his expensive Martin and that mine has better sound, too. "That's really cool, Nance. Your guitar is so awesome. I know it will out play his Martin..."

Forty-five minutes later Monk arrived with guitar in hand. After howdies and hugs he and I grabbed some bar stools from our breakfast bar and then he tuned his guitar to mine and then handed me his guitar and grabbed mine and we started pickin' and grining'.

His Martin was beautiful and had great sound, but I had to finally admit to Monk that mine did sound so much better and was easier to play. "See, I told you so," Mark teased. I'm serious, Nancy. If I did a blindfold test and played my Martin and then Ronnie's—I'd pick yours..."

"I'm afraid I would to," I said. "I always get such a kick out of it when I tell people that my brother built my guitar for me, because I get this funny look from them like it must be a piece of junk. But, when they start playing it—they get totally blown away and cannot believe that Ronnie built it! In fact, Kinky has asked me several times to please will him my guitar, in case I die before him."

"I want it," Monk said. "Will it to me. Please." Then we started laughing.

Around 5:30 Monk and I went over to the Lodge to visit with Kinky and it was fun. After Kinky, Monk and I had talked about guitars, politics and his recent tour in Australia Monk told us about he and his wife Lynn last week watching one of their old videos they had recently found packed away in a box, starring Ruth Buzzi, her husband Kent Perkins and Kinky—"The Being!" And Monk had us laughing non-stop as he described the movie and the scenes that Ruthie, Kent and Kinky were in, so on our way to the rescue ranch, in Kermit, Monk told me that he is going to send me a copy of the movie "The Being" and I can't wait to watch it since I never knew about that movie.

Today has been interesting because it involved a funny encounter with an Axis deer, a horse stampede and this evening in Outer Space we had so much fun visiting with T.'s dear old high school friends Dusty and her sister Judy, but since it is late I will write about it tomorrow, because I need some extra beauty sleep.

Y'all have a great evening and please keep praying for "Don" to come visit us in the Hill Country and help break our drought.

To Be Continued...

No comments: