Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Nose Job!

Today has been great. Early this morning, after I did the Utopia Animal Rescue Ranch segment, on Big G's popular radio show—Kinky called me. "Nance, can you come over here and help me give The Friedmans their monthly flea and tick preventative?..."

Ten minutes later, after drinking a delicious cup of Green Mountain's Donut Shop Coffee, I went over to Kinky's Lodge. I was determined to get The Friedmans to take their pills, because they are very picky eaters, because Kinky has spoiled them, because he cooks them delicious meals daily.

When I arrived at the Lodge, Kinky had just cooked breakfast for them and they were not hungry. Because the pills were big and sort-of-hard for them to chew, I decided to cut the pills in half, which was hard to do, because they were as hard as rocks. Anyway, they would not take them. So Kinky suggested that we hide their pills inside a cold beef burrito, that was in his refrigerator. That didn't work either, because they ate the pieces of burrito, but constantly spit out their pills. "The Friedmans love bagels," Kinky said, followed by a chuckle. "Maybe that will work." And it didn't work either, so we gave up for the time being and decided to try later in the day, because I needed to get home, to help Tony do the morning chores.

The last dogs for me to feed were Mr. Rogers & Miss Dee and when I went into their dog pen, they walked up to greet me, with their tails wagging and that's when I noticed two porcupine quills sticking out of Miss Dee's black nose. She had been porcupine-ed, but it didn't slow down her appetite—she licked her dog bowl clean and she didn't seem to mind the two quills.

As soon as lunch was over, Tony put Miss Dee in a big crate and we took off, in Buttermilk, for Hoegemeyer Animal Clinic, for her to get a nose job and for us to pick up Judy Collins, because she had been spayed and given her shots and was ready to come back to our rescue ranch.

When we delivered Miss Dee to Hoegemeyers, Susan told us that we could pick her and Judy up in about an hour, so Tony and I went shopping. First we went to the big H-E-B, on Main Street, to get gas, mail a few letters and to buy approximately $49.00 in groceries.

Then we went over to Hastings to possibly buy a few, cheap, used movies that we haven't seen. Tony bought a scary one, that I'll never watch and I decided to get the Dallas Buyers Club starring Matthew McConaughey and Jennifer Garner.

Then we basically went right back across the street, to Radio Shack, to see if they had a certain iPad cable that Tony needed and when we got out of Buttermilk, we saw our dear friend Mari, leaving the frame shop and getting into her car. I hollered, "Mari!"but she didn't hear me, so I sort of skipped over to her car, because she was fixin' to back out of the parking lot.

I'm glad that I skipped over, because Mari saw me and turned off her vehicle. We had a fun, but short visit and she showed me the beautiful artwork that she had just gotten framed, a charcoal done by a very talented, local artist. And before we adios-ed each other we vowed to do lunch together before June rolls around.

After we left Radio Shack, an hour had passed since we had left the clinic, so we headed back to Hoegemeyer Animal Clinic to pick up our precious cargo. Then we came back home.

Mr. Rogers was beyond thrilled when Tony put Miss Dee back into their pen. I am fixin' to call Kinky to see if he still needs my help to give The Friedmans their flea and tick preventative chewys and then I plan to relax and watch my new, used movie, that was a rental. And that is about it for tonight.

Y'all have a great evening!

P.S. Today we received a sweet note, with pictures and a donation from Jan. On November 11, 2004 she adopted Goober, a sweet Lab pup, from us. She sent this picture of Goober's first meeting with Jelli and a picture taken of them a year later. Her pictures have made my day great and I wanted y'all to see them, too. And lastly, I just talked to Kinky and yes, he was able to get The Friedmans to finally take their pills.



No comments: