Monday, September 12, 2011

I'm Packing!

Today has been a great day. This morning after we did our morning chores outside I tackled some paperwork, because when we go on our trip I want to be totally caught up with the rescue ranch business, so when we return I want be bombarded by so many things needed to be taken care of.

Then Tony surprised me with an early-bird birthday present—that I absolutely LOVE and will truly treasure—a Victrinox Swiss Army Swiss Champ SOS pocket knife kit for my survival kit! And it has 14 features; large and small blades, can and bottle openers, small and large screwdrivers, Phillips screwdriver, fine and mini screwdrivers, scissors, wire stripper, wire cutter, pliers, wood saw, fish scaler with hook disgorger and ruler, metal saw with metal file and nail file, magnifying glass, reamer with sewing eye, corkscrew, hook, wood chisel, ball point pen, and straight pin. Tweezers and a toothpick pull out of the ends of the knife and it is even equipped with a handy key ring.


And the case also includes a variety of outdoor/survival things such as a sharpening stone, pressure pencil for when I have a pressing writing deadline, writing paper, three Band-Aids, black and white sewing thread, two sewing needles, in case Tony and I both want to sew at the same time, five matches, nylon string, signal mirror, ruler, compass, and a spirit level, even though I am not sure exactly what a spirit level is used for, but I figure it must have something to do with ghosts, so it might come in real handy, because Terlingua is a ghost town. 


And the reason I love this pocket knife so much, is because last night I spent a large portion of my evening looking at this super pocket knife and showing it to Tone on eBay and Amazon and I was drooling over it and wanting it badly, even though I have never owned or wanted a pocket knife in my life. But quite simply, I just could not afford to spend $147.99 on my very first pocket knife, no matter how many times it could save Tony's and my life and Sandy & Jon's.


So, while I was doing some paperwork today, Tony walks in and says, "I've got an early birthday day present for you, but it is used, my ex-brother-in-law gave it to me, one year, for my birthday present and it's been sitting in a drawer, for years, until I found it this morning for you. But Belle found it, while we were eating breakfast, and she has chewed on the carrying case some, but it is a Victrinox Swiss Army Swiss Champ SOS pocket knife kit and I do want you to have it." 


"OMG, Tony! I love it. Are you sure you want to give it to me?"


Tony chuckled, "Yes, Nance. I have plenty of pocket knives and it is bad luck for anyone to buy a knife for themselves. Let me show it to you." Then he started opening up my pocket knife and then he showed me all of the outdoor/survival things tucked neatly inside the knife case and to say the least, "I felt like a kid in a candy store," ready to cut some paper, saw off a tree limb or signal someone.



After we ate some Cousin Nancy's Chicken Soup for lunch, which was delicious, we jumped into Trigger and headed for Kerrville to run a few errands and on our way there I said, "I want to go to Wolfmueller's Books first, if you don't mind, because I can't wait to show them my very first pocket knife."


When we walked inside Sandy and Jon's bookstore they greeted us and we greeted them back and then I showed off my new pocket knife and they were very impressed with it, too. "Now Nancy, you don't really think that we are going to get lost out there, do you?" Sandy teased, before the three of them started laughing.


"It could happen and I'm packing it," I teased back. "And, if we do get lost—Tony's birthday present to me—will save all of our lives!" Then I remembered, "Y'all, this morning Marguerite, that super nice woman, who adopted Enzo, the German Shepherd, from us called and she left a funny message on Carlton. She said that she had a present for me, for our road trip to Terlingua and that she was going to leave it at Hoegemeyer's, after she got off from work today and for us to pick it up the next time we come to town and she was laughing the whole time she was talking. I can't wait to get it and I wonder what it is?...."


Home Depot was our last stop, so I could buy a few 1"x4"s, so I can finish the Space Ship's wall's renovation, before coming back home.


Y'all have a great evening and please keep praying for us to get some rain!

No comments: