Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Beetles!

Today has been great. This morning I got to wear my favorite pink sweatshirt (hoodie) when Tony and I went outside to feed the dogs and clean their pens, because it was fifty degrees for the second day in a row. By the time we had finished our chores I wished that I hadn't worn it, because the outside temperature had already climbed up to eighty-two degrees.

This afternoon Tone and I met our good friend Mari, of the NoMads, dog agility fame, for lunch in Kerrville and we had so much fun with her, because she is highly intelligent, has a great sense of humor, loves dogs and she has really great vibes.

After we had caught up with her latest news, because she knows all of ours news, because she reads my blog, we talked about the NoMads, veterinarians, her latest trip to Whole Foods in San Antone, the drought, our soon-to-be exciting road trip to Terlingua with Sandy and Jon, she told me something that I really did not want to hear, "Not to scare you, Nancy, but as of September 1st, they have raised the speed limit on I-10 five miles, so now it is 85 mph even though they haven't changed all of the signs, yet. So, you'd better be sure to take that Rescue Remedy with you, because you're really going to need it and..."

After Mari had scared me to death I purposefully changed the subject. "You're going to love this, Mari. The other day I bought some new 501 Levi's at Penneys and after I had laundered them, when I was putting them on this big label near the pocket is screaming at me, "Made In Egypt!" Can you believe that! Made in Egypt?" Mari frowned.

"This pink shirt I'm wearing was Made In The USA, these pants are Made In The USA and yes, unfortunately I can believe it..." a little while later, when our waiter came to give us our check, Mari grabbed it before I could and she says, "I'm buying lunch today—end of subject."

"Well, thank you, Mari," I said, "but the next time we do lunch we're treating you to lunch, okay?" Mari smiled and pretended not to hear me. Then we started talking about Tony's VW Beetle and her husband David's vintage collection of several classic VW Beetles and then she told us where David goes in San Antone to get VW parts, so Tony would know where to go to buy parts to restore his Bug.

Then we realized that the lunch crowd had left the building, so we thanked Mari again for lunch and then we adios-ed each other until next time and she went home and so did we.

Early this evening Kinky and Marcie came over for a "Toto Picnic" and when their picnic ended we went into Outer Space for a fun visit, even though we talked a lot about the drought.

When we decided to come inside the trailer, so Tony could show Marcie his Photography Hallway Gallery, Kinky asked me if he could water my dying outdoor plants. "Sure, I guess you can," I said, "but Kinky, with the water being so scarce right now, I had to quit watering them, because we just can't afford to use up what precious we've got left."

While Tony was busy giving Marcie a tour of his hallway  photo gallery I filled up Jaws, my Vita-mix blender's pitcher, with precious water twice, so Kinky could go outside into Outer Space to water my drought suffering plants. "Nance, just give them a little water every other day," Kinky suggested, as he handed back my Jaws pitcher to me. "If y'all run out of water over here I will be glad to take them and..."

When they left to go back over to the Lodge, Tony and I left to go feed Shalom and the donkeys over at Echo Hill's horse barn and that is about it for today.

Y'all have a great evening and please keep praying for rain for us and for the Fire fighters around our state who are busy putting out wildfires!

2 comments:

Mari of the NoMads said...

Hi, Nancy and Tony - what a VISIT we had today, huh? I think we covered just about every topic there is! And you were so nice to not tell me that all the people in the restaurant (I couldn't see them since I had my back to them) had left!
Ok, here's the information on the VW book for Tony: How to Keep your Volkswagen Alive - it's available from Amazon. I'll try to post the link here, but in case it doesn't work just put a search engine in for Volkswagen books. It will come right up! http://www.amazon.com/How-Keep-Your-Volkswagen-Alive/dp/1562614800
I can't wait for another 'information exchange date' - but first I gotta accumulate some to share!
Thanks again for your great, always enjoyable company!

cousin nancy said...

Good morning, Mari! Tony and I had so much fun with you,, yesterday. Let's do lunch again when Karin, from Germany, is visiting us next month. I really want her to meet you. And, when I finish writing this I am going to Amazon and order the VW book for Tony and surprise him with it. You Rock! And so do The NoMads!