Saturday, September 10, 2011

For Our Survival Kit!

Today has been great. This morning after we did our chores outside I started reading some more about Terlingua, because one week from today Tony and I will be out there, with our dear friends Sandy and Jon Wolfmueller, for an exciting and fun, three days and two nights vacation.

It seems like it has been forever since T. and I have gotten away from the rescue ranch for that long and we are more than excited about it, even though I know that we will be missing our dogs, both inside and out.

After I had read some interesting information about what to see and do out in Big Bend, I came across a chapter about how to survive in the desert—if you get LOST! OMG, I hadn't even thought of that possibly happening to us, because I have only been concentrating on my fear of traveling out there and back at 85 mph, so I panicked, which was not good, because the first thing, it says in the desert survival chapter is, "The biggest killer in any emergency situation is panic."

So, I got up, went to my purse and then I filled a little shot glass with water and mixed it with a few drops of Rescue Remedy, that Ellen gave to me for my trip to San Antonio with Patty and Sandy.

Then I sat down and read the entire chapter which covered survival priorities: water, fire, shelter, signals, food and making a "must have" pocket survival kit, that was small enough to fit inside a little soap dish container. And then I went into my office and scanned it, so I could start checking off what we already had.


And the only survival kit things that we have are:
1. Fish Hooks for Jon and Tony to catch Rainbow Trout for Sandy and me                      
2. Tweezers so Tony can remove the fish hooks out of my fingers, if I decide to fish                          
3. 1 Large needle in case I want to do some embroidery                  
4. Fishing Line for fishing and to hang up our just washed clothes on to dry                      
5. 1 Pencil stub in case my pen runs out of ink or I decide to build something                  
6. 2 Bouillon cubes (organic chicken) spice for our fish frys
7. Signal whistle in case there is a traffic jam or if I need Tony to come help me with something
8. Micro-flashlight with spare battery so I can blog in the dark
9. 4 Tea Bags of Yerba Mate to give the four of us vitality, clarity and well-being when we play poker
10. 4 Band-Aids for my torn clothing
11. 4 Plastic bags in case we want to take some of the fish home with us
12. Instructions with blank side for notes for my blog
13. Pictures of our dogs to inspire us to live and keep on going
14. Baby Aspirin so I don't have a heart attack on I-10 or I see a rattle snake

So, as you can see, I still have plenty of survival supplies to purchase. I plan to buy Made In USA if I can, because I don't want to be lost and have to trust a button compass Made In China, even though I have no idea how to read one, but I am sure that Tony and Jon know how to use one.

When I asked Tony if he had some fish hooks that he could give me and some fishing line he asked me, "Yes, but why do you need them?"

"For our survival kit, in case we get lost, when we go out to Terlingua. This book I'm reading says...." Tony started laughing. "I'll go get you some in a minute, but Nance, if we do get lost in the desert, do you really think there will be plenty of lakes nearby for us to catch all of the fish we can eat until we're found?" He started laughing which made me start to laugh, as I thought about the odds of us getting lost in the desert near a beautiful, convenient lake filled with trout.

When I finally had quit laughing I said, "Oh! Tony, the next time that we go to town, I'm going to need for you to buy some condoms."

"What?"

"For our survival kit. There's no way I'm going to buy them..."


Y'all have a great evening and please keep praying for us to get some rain!

3 comments:

Fay said...

Oh hell that's funny Nancy! Love #9, cracked me up!!!
Have a great Sunday, hope it's filled with rain for alls ya'll!
Fay xo

Karin Pohlmann said...

Very helpful for my upcoming Texan adventure! I will be well prepared! Can`t wait! Karin

cousin nancy said...

Hi, Fay and Karin! Thank y'all for your comments—they made me laugh, too. Karin we are so looking forward to your visit!