Sunday, September 4, 2011

Flush The Toilet!

Today has been a total blast, because this afternoon we invited Carol and her two long, lost friends in Dallas, Vickie and Debbie, that she found on Facebook, to come over for a visit.

When Carol called to tell me they were headed our way I went into action. I removed my copy of the Holstee Manifesto from the refrigerator and went and made three copies of it, so I could give it to them. Then I put the copies on the breakfast bar and put my turquoise, handmade Esteban-sort-of-copied shrine next to them, so I wouldn't forget to give them the copies and show them what I had made and then Trigger took me over to the Lodge, so I could tell Marcie that Debbie, an Echo Hill Camp alumni, back in the late 60's, was coming over and that she was anxious to see her and the camp.

"Sounds great, I would love to see them." Then I came back home and waited for their arrival.

The few seconds that it took for Carol to introduce us to her friends, that she had lost contact with over thirty something years ago—Tony and I instantly fell in love with them too—they were family.

After a fun visit inside the trailer, filled with laughter, us girls jumped into Carol's gigantic Ford F-250 truck, which makes me drool for, we went over the river and through the woods to go see Marcie. "OMG, there's the swimming hole and that's the dining hall!" Debbie said, excitedly, fondly remembering her happy summers that she spent at Echo Hill Camp. "And there's the bunkhouses and the Infirmary!..." As Tone followed us in Kermit.

As soon as I introduced Marcie to everyone she and Debbie went down Echo Hill Camp memory lane and it was really fun for us to listen to Debbie and Marcie talk about their fond memories and their mutual friends that they had made at Echo Hill Camp. And before we ventured outside to stroll around the magical camp, Marcie gave Debbie an Echo Hill Camp t-shirt and shorts, which was so sweet of her to do.


After we had visited one of the "Campers" bunkhouses and the dining hall we thanked Marcie and adios-ed her and then Debbie jumped into Kermit with Tone, so he could give her a personal tour, as Carol, Vickie and I followed them in the truck-that-I-want.

When we returned to the rescue ranch Tony showed off my latest Space Ship to Vickie and Debbie, which they loved and then we went into Outer Space, with T. happily sitting-in on our hilarious hen-party.

We talked about Echo Hill Camp, Kinky's parents Uncle Tom and Aunt Min, who Debbie had loved so much, how we could not believe that we had all gotten to be so old, but felt like we were still eighteen years old, about Tony's and my extremely funny, short courtship, their fun days in Dallas and their past boyfriends in Dallas and some of their hilarious, crazy antics.

When I told Vickie, who grew up in Mount Pleasant, in east Texas and Debbie, a native Dallasite, that I was born and raised in Ft. Worth, two rivaling sister cities, back then when we were growing up, "My mom always used to tell us, "Now don't y'all forget to flush the toilet, because Dallas needs the water," everyone burst out laughing.

Because of the outdoor heat we eventually decided to come back inside the trailer to continue our super fun visit and while we were solving the world's problems I asked them to listen to Steve Martin's bluegrass version of "King Tut" and they loved it as much as we do and could not believe how cool it was.

When it was time for them to leave, because they needed to go to the Old Timer to get some groceries before it closed, they invited us to come over to Carol's ranch so we could continue our more than fun visit, but we unfortunately had to decline their invite, because I needed to write this and Tony was tired and his back was actually hurting from laughing so much, because of their visit.

Y'all have a great evening and please keep praying for rain for us! Good night.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cousin Nancy I can't tell you how much fun Deb and I had spending the afternoon with you and Tony..please please let's do it again!

cousin nancy said...

Hi Vickie! We had more fun with y'all and yes, let's do it again sooner than later.