Wednesday, June 29, 2011

They Came In Twos!

Today has turned out to be a wonderful day. This morning it was the usual: get out of bed, do my morning chores, fix breakfast, clean up the kitchen and walk four miles with Leslie Sansone.

Around 11:45, I went outside to go tell Tony that our lunch was ready and when I saw him down at the barn talking to two men I jumped into Kermit and we went to see who was here. "Nancy, this is Robert and Lee. They train drug dogs and they are thinking about adopting Gus, because he just passed their initial tennis ball test and they want to train him to find illegal cell phones in prisons."

As I shook hands with these two nice, friendly men Robert said, "We are also very interested in Annie Oakley, because she is part Pit and Dalmatian, but I think we want to start with Gus first..." After we had talked about Gus and Annie and they had explained their K-9 training program to us—I couldn't wait for them to adopt Gus and our Annie-O.

Forty minutes later, before leaving Robert told us, "We need to go check out one other dog at a shelter, but I'm pretty sure that we will come back later today and adopt Gus. We think he would be an excellent cell phone finder dog." Then he handed me a business card, then T. and I shook hands with them and then they got into their truck and drove away, as Kermit took us to the trailer.

As I reheated our lunch, Tone and I talked non-stop about how happy we were for Gus getting a job. Then we talked about it, again as we ate our lunch.

Right after I had cleaned up the kitchen Tony walked into the big room, "Somebody is driving up. I'll go see who it is," then he, followed by Belle, went out the front door.

A few minutes later, out of curiosity, to find out who was here, I started to go out the front door and there was Tony walking up the porch steps with two women. As I stepped outside to greet them, this nice woman says, "Hi, Cousin Nancy! We know that you're famous and we just had to come out here and meet you and Tony and see the rescue ranch. I'm Alecia and this is Carrie."

"Wow," I said, followed by a chuckle, because if they only knew. "Trust me we're not famous, but I can tell you that you sure know how to lift people's spirits. Right, Tone? It's very nice to meet, y'all. Come on inside the trailer. Where are y'all from?"

"OMG! I love your trailer and these painted rugs and those cabinet doors and...," Alecia said. "Can I buy your books?" As I signed my two books to Alecia (and yes, that is the way she spells her name, because I always ask people before signing a book. I learned to always ask for the spelling, from my embroidery business days.) Tony introduced them to Belle Starr-Simons, Hank, Little Girl and Toto. Then T. and I had a very nice visit with these two interesting women—who, in the near future want to be volunteers.

Before Carrie and Alecia were about to leave I asked them, "Have y'all read the book, The Art Of Racing In The Rain by Garth Stein. They hadn't, so after telling them it was a must read I gave them a copy.

An hour later, Robert and Lee were here to adopt Gus, hopefully the future "Cell Phone Finder Dog" and Paul was here, too, delivering some free dog food! After T. introduced Robert and Lee to Paul, Robert and Lee started showing Paul, Tony and me pictures of their K-9 drug dogs and explained to Paul how they train them and what all is involved to get them certified and about their new developing program to locate alcohol, tobacco and cell phones, so by now Paul was as thrilled as us about them adopting, "Gus The Bust!"

Twenty minutes later, after signing off on Gus' adoption papers, Tone, Paul and I adios-ed Lee, Robert and Gus and then the three of us unloaded the dog food from the back of Paul's pickup. Then we had a nice visit with Paul.

After Paul left I came inside the trailer and I started working on Kia's plane reservations to Toronto. Then Tony realized that we were out of dog food for our dogs, so we made a mad dash to H-E-B to get dog food for Mama, Abbie, Hank, Little Girl, Toto and Belle and by luck, we ran into our good friend Irene Van Winkle and we had a wonderful visit with her on isle six. And that is about it for today.

To find out more about where Gus will be working please check out: Croft & Hicks Investigations & Security.

Y'all have a great evening and please keep praying for rain for us!

2 comments:

Karin Pohlmann said...

Congretulations for the adoption of Gus! And, you are famous! Even Tony and you are well known in Germany and Austria! I cannot wait to see you. Soon I will write to you an oldfashioned letter on paper.

Eileen said...

Who would have thought that big, goofy Gus would turn out to be a sniffer dog!!! That makes me smile!