Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Cousin Nancy's Borracho Beans!

Last night it started raining, thundering and lightning around 11:15, so I jumped out of bed and then ran (actually skipped) around the trailer unplugging everything from the electrical outlets. Even though I am scared-to-death of lightning I went out on the front porch, for just a second, to smell the rain.

When it started hailing pea-sized hail I woke Tony up and asked him to please go outside and roll up Trigger and Buttermilk's windows and he wasn't real happy about that, but he did and then he went back to bed mumbling something about Kevin. Around 12:15 the thunderstorm was nearly over so I went to bed, too.

This morning after breakfast I walked four miles again and then I decided for lunch today, as a side dish, I would try a new Borracho Beans recipe, from one of my many cookbooks and that was a big mistake. Even though I had all of the recipe's ingredients: pinto beans, tomato, onion, garlic, jalapeno and one can of Tony's beer and prepared it exactly like the recipe said to, except for using mild peppers instead of jalapenos—it was way too hot for us.

Thank goodness the Borracho Beans were the side dish, because they were so hot we couldn't eat them and ended up throwing them out.

This afternoon Tony and I had a serious conversation about what we should do in case of a wildfire, so we came up with a plan for us and for our rescued dogs and four pigs. Then I went outside, jumped into Kermit and took off for the barn to get leashes. Then I hung the appropriate number of leashes on the gates of our dog pens. Then I returned to the trailer with a big box of donated dog collars, so Tony and I could put our Utopia Animal Rescue Ranch's dog tags on each collar, to help identify our dogs, in case of an immediate evacuation. Then we left the trailer to collar our dogs.




When we were halfway done I said, "I can't believe those beans were so hot, Tony. I even used the mild peppers instead of the jalapenos."

"Which ones did you use?"

"The ones you brought in this morning from the garden." Tony burst out laughing.

"Those were habanero peppers, Nancy. Not the mild peppers. No wonder it was so dang hot." Then I burst out laughing, too.

When we finished our project outside we came inside to cool off and that's when Tony gave me a "pepper lesson." Even though I now know the difference between a habanero pepper and a mild pepper, I don't think I am going to be making Cousin Nancy's Borracho Beans anytime soon.

Well, that's about it for today. I'm going outside now to roll down Trigger's and Buttermilk's windows.

P.S. We got one inch of rain last night.

Y'all have a great evening and please keep praying for rain for us!

1 comment:

Irene said...

Shoot Nancy, I bet them Borracho Beans were great with them habernaro peppers!! Just ask Mark and Denise...you were probably just missing the cornbread - Irene