Sunday, June 19, 2011

The Dog Whisperer!

Today has not been a great day, but it has been good enough. This morning after I walked four miles with Leslie Sanson, in the big room, I started a load of laundry in Queen Bee, then I took care of some paperwork and then I went outside to talk to Tony, while he finished doing his morning chores.

"Tony, Ann called and left a message on Carlton. Do you remember a dog named Festus, that we adopted out years ago?"

"Yes, he was a great dog. A Heeler mix. Why?"

"Because he's coming back and he's also bringing a friend with him. Then I told him what Ann had said about her neighbor, that had adopted Festus and gotten another dog, was moving away and no longer wanting her dogs and the woman was wanting us to take Festus and his friend Kia."

"Where are we going to put them, Nance?" The only pen we have left is that small puppy pen."

"Then we'll have to put them there, I guess. Hopefully, our adoptions will pick back up and then we can get them into a big pen. I'm going to call Ann back and tell her that we will come to Medina and pick up her neighbors dog's after we get back from Kerrville."

After calling Ann and getting her machine I left her a short message about us coming to pick up Festus and Kia, then I started cooking our lunch.

Around eleven forty-five I went outside to tell T. that our lunch was ready to eat and was surprised to find him petting Festus and Kia, inside the puppy pen. "That woman came out with a friend, a few minutes ago and she really put on a show—faking tears and trying to act upset about leaving her dogs. I wish that you could have seen her."

"Me, too. Hi, Festus and Kia. Don't worry you're not going to have to stay in this pen long. Everything is going to be fine," I said, as Festus wagged his long tail and she swung her short stump.

"These are really good dogs," Tone said. "I like them." And that's when Kia, put in her two cents and started talking to us in a soft, sweet sounding whisper. It was so cute it made us laugh out loud and the more we laughed the more Kia kept talking. It was very similar to the way Malamutes talk, when they are happy.


"Oh, Tony. Kia is too adorable and I love that she is a talker. And Festus, you are precious, too. I checked my records and Festus is only about four years old and Ann told me that Kia is only about two years old, if that. I am so glad that they are so adoptable." Then I jumped into Kermit and went up to the trailer to get my camera, so I could shoot them and get them up on utopiarescue.com for all to see.

On my way back to Festus' and Kia's pen I had one of those lightbulb moments. "Tony! I just had a lightbulb go off in my head. I think Kia would be a perfect dog for Fay and her family to have and Kris Kristofferson would absolutely love her. What do you think?"

"Both Kia or Enzo Swift would be a great match for Kris and they would love living in Toronto's much cooler weather and..."

The first picture is of Kia, because of "The Girls First Rule" and also because I cannot wait for Fay to see her and have first chance to adopt her.


Tomorrow I will try to get some better pictures of these two magnificent dogs and hopefully capture Kia talking and make a video of it—the dog whisperer.

Y'all have a great evening!

2 comments:

Susie said...

What on earth is wrong with people dumping their animals??? I dont understand it unless they have a very dire financial problem. So sad, but the dogs are being placed in your care and that is a positive thing.

Fay said...

Ok. All right. I see EXACTLY what you and Tony are doing... LOL!! We DO need a friend for Kris, and I will definitely think on it to see what the best fit is for our dog and the reat of the family. It's time to add another wee person to the household and from what better place than Utopia ; ))
Love you both BUNCHES! F. xoxo