Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Be Careful What You Wish For!

Up until two-thirty this afternoon it had been another quiet day for me and I could just kick myself for what I wrote last night on my blog when I said, "Hopefully tomorrow I will have some exciting news to write about," because we had some excitement and it wasn't the good kind.

Around two o'clock, after returning phone calls and e-mails, I decided to rest and take a short nap with our dogs. Forty-five minutes later I heard the front door open and close and then I heard, "Nance, I'm sorry I was gone so long to get the mail. I've been putting out a fire."

"What!" I said, as Tone walked into our bedroom sweating and smelling of smoke and his light-blue shirt that he was wearing was now a dark-gray smoked stained shirt. "Are you okay?"

"I'm fine. I was at the mailbox when a man drove up and told me that there was a small grass fire that had just started about a half mile up the road towards Kerrville and then he tells me that he couldn't help and drove off towards Medina. I was the first one there and started trying to stomp it out. About four minutes later a man on a motorcycle arrived and he soaked his jacket with some bottled water and then he started helping me. Then a Highway Patrol Officer showed up and he started helping us stomp out the fire. A minute later the Medina Volunteer Fire Department showed up and helped us put it out. And I bet it was caused by a tourist tossing out a cigarette."

Two minutes later Tone, Belle and I took off in Trigger to go see where the grass fire had been and I took these pictures of it.


On our way back home T. and I held our breaths, in hopes that Belle Starr-Simons wouldn't get car sick and vomit on me. And I am proud to announce that B.S.-S. held her cookies and did not cover me in vomit! So we immediately rewarded her with some treats when we got home.

Well, this is about all of the news I have for today and I promise that I am never going to write, "Hopefully tomorrow I will have some exciting news to write about," again. Because once again I've learned my lesson—to be careful what you wish for.

Y'all have a great evening.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

y'all start strapping in some mini fire extinguishers in the cars. wishing for a sane summer for you all and those wonderful hills.