Thursday, January 31, 2019

Rude!

Today has been great, even though it was gray and almost cold outside. But I am not complaining, because my heart goes out to the people living/surviving with the record breaking cold temperatures, up the north and on the east coast.

This afternoon Tony and I went to Kerrville to wash and dry a load of clothes, while we grabbed groceries at the big H-E-B and went down to the park, so I could walk and also feed the ducks and the geese.

On our way to the park, I made a friendly bet (no money involved) with Tony that King Tut would be there and he bet against me. And I won the bet twice and now I regret not betting him a dollar, because I would have won two dollars.

When we arrived at Louise Hays Park, it was lightly drizzling and there were only a few people, out with their dogs, enjoying this beautiful park.

Right after we climbed out of Trigger and walked near the river—King Tut greeted us or better said, noticed us. And he was all alone, so I tossed him some corn and declared my victory.

Tony was sick that he had forgotten to bring his camera along, so he could document this event for me, but he took it in good stride, as he and I strolled to a nearby bench, so I could feed my flock and gaggle.

The flock of ducks were near the opposite bank when I walked up to the river's edge and shook my bag of corn, and said, "Come and get it!" And they did nothing until they watched me fling some corn up into the air. Then they came paddling and quacking toward my direction or where the corn was.

A few seconds later I was surrounded by the happy ducks and geese and King Tut, all begging for me to toss them some more corn, as they took turns trying to discourage King Tut from participating in their late lunch. "Tony, how did King Tut get here so fast? Did he fly?"

Tony, who was sitting on the bench shrugged his shoulders. Then I looked back towards the Sydney Baker Street Bridge and saw King Tut swimming alone and he looked sad and lonely. "Omg, there are two of them," I said. And Tony shook his head up and down in acknowledgement.

As the six ducks and two pretty geese pecked nervously at my boots to get my attention, I noticed that King Tut #2 was now standing about ten feet away from me, because the flock and gaggle had been so rude to him they had made him feel unwelcome.

Well, that did not sit well with me or with Tony. So I took a handful of corn and threw it as far as I could in the opposite direction of King Tut #2 and the ducks and geese race-waddled away. Then I tossed a bigger handful of corn towards the #2 Egyptian king. And Tut-Two was so thrilled that he had all of this corn to himself to eat—it truly warmed my heart. Then I adios-ed Tony and Tut-Two and took off walking towards the Lemos Street Bridge.

When I returned back to where Tony and Tut-Two were hanging out, my feathered, not so nice friends were down by the bridge and when they saw me they started quacking and came waddling as fast as their webbed feet could move.

So I quickly tossed Tut-Two another handful of corn and before the other ducks and geese arrived, at my boots, for their second feeding—I kept shaking the bag of corn and made them wait for Tut-Two to finish eating his last kernel of corn, before tossing more corn down, around my boots.

And before Tony and I left the park, to go pick up our laundry, I emptied the rest of my sack of corn, near the bridge, so the original King Tut could eat in peace and quiet.

Y'all have a great evening and keep on laughing!

No comments: