Thursday, January 24, 2019

And The Rest Is History!

Today has been great. Early this afternoon, I decided to try to make dear Darlene's Sopapilla Cheesecake recipe, that she gave to me a few days ago, because our dear friend Mari was coming to see us.

Darlene, among many other awesome talents that she possesses, is one fabulous cook. In fact, in my world I would give Darlene 5 ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ star reviews for her baking and cooking skills in the kitchen.

Anyway, the other morning Darlene had made this mouth-watering dessert recipe and when she asked Tony and I to please sample it and let her know what we thought of it—we told her that we loved it and that it was incredibly delicious. And we weren't lying—we were drooling.

So, in front of our friends, I begged Darlene to please give me her wonderful, secret recipe and I was totally upfront with her about her knowing that if she gave me her recipe I would steal it and call it mine. "Seriously, I will call your recipe Cousin Nancy's Sopapilla Cheesecake." And that made Darlene laugh. But little did she know I wasn't kidding, because I steal every one's recipes and then call them mine.

Now back to my story. One hour before Mari's planned arrival, I grabbed Darlene's/Cousin Nancy's Sopapilla Cheesecake recipe and made two copies of it, so I could file away my new dessert recipe in my pretty, pink notebook.

Now, you may be asking, "What did I do with the other copy of this family secret recipe?" Well, that's for me to know and for you to find out later.

Then I gathered up most of the ingredients needed for my family's three-generations recipe and took this picture of them. And please note: The butter, honey and cinnamon are missing in this picture.


Then I opened one can of the crescent rolls, greased the baking dish and formed the eight crescent rolls dough into a single layer of solid dough by pinching it together.


The next thing I did was let Little Debbie and Big Al(ice) back inside The Cabin. Then I mixed the cream cheese, sugar and vanilla together or at least I tried to.


Then I let Roy Rogers, Beau Bridges and Henry Standing Bear go outside to do some yard-work. Then I spread this mixture evenly over the wannabe crescent rolls. Then I opened up the other can of crescent rolls and magically turned them into one piece of dough that completely covered up the mixture.


Then I poured melter butter over the top and spread it around and then I topped it off with the sugar and cinnamon mixture. Put it into my counter top convection oven at 350 degree to allow it to bake for an hour or so.

While my dessert baked I quickly helped Tony clean up The Cabin, to make it look like Tony and I don't live here. And that is not an easy task, because all of the dog hair that Hazel (My purple Animal Dyson.) collected got stopped up, because the container was full and needed to be emptied.

Long recipe short—I pulled out my great grandmother's/grandmother's/mother's secret dessert recipe and drizzled honey over the top of it, while Tony went outside to greet Mari. And this is what it looked like when Mari and Tony walked inside The Cabin.


After howdies were exchanged, I lied, "Mari, because you were coming to see us I baked you my family's secret dessert recipe. I only make it for special occasions and it is a real crowd pleaser." 

And as we ate it, on cheap paper plates and using paper towels for napkins, Mari told me how delicious it was and begged me for my recipe. 

So I decided to lie some more, and said, "Only my sweet sister Cindy and I still have this ancient, secret, family recipe and we were sworn to secrecy when it was revealed to us on our 16th birthdays."

Then Tony interrupted me, and said, "But I thought it was Darlene's—"

"Who is Darlene?" I asked, wearing my prized-performance-puzzled-look on my face, while glaring at Tony with my left eye, that Mari could not witness. "I don't know any Darlene's. You must have dreamt this or something."

Then Tony coughed or he pretended to cough and he promptly left the kitchen.

"Mari, because you are such a good friend and I know that I can trust you, I will give you my family's heirloom dessert recipe. But first you must swear to keep it a secret recipe, because if my sweet mother, my grandmother Memaw, and my great grandmother, What's-Her-Name, knew that I was going to reveal their secret recipe to a stranger—I promise you that they would be rolling over in their graves." 

Then wearing a straight face, I tried to act like I was trusting Mari with my life when I handed her the other copy of the recipe. In hopes that she was buying all of my B.S.


Mari took the recipe and quickly scanned it with her eyes, and as she was folding it up, not very neatly I might add, she said, "Thanks. Let's hope I don't lose it somewhere." And the rest is history, so to speak.

Y'all have a great evening and keep on laughing!

2 comments:

Mari of the NoMads said...

What an AMAZING dessert Cousin Nancy's Sopapilla Cheesecake is! I would swear there were cooked apples in it. Deliciously yummy!

And I LOVED seeing the 'Phoenix' that has arisen from the ashes when it comes to the 'log cabin' that was previously just a tiny old wooden building. Nancy and Tony have made it their own!

Day well spent - except that I didn't get to really 'walk' and talk - instead I was sitting and talking with two of the greatest people on the planet. Next week we walk and talk - to work off some of Cousin Nancy's Sopapilla Cheesecake!

cousin nancy said...

Hi Mari! Thank you for your rave reviews on my Cousin Nancy's Sopapilla Cheesecake and The Cabin! I agree about tasting the apples and I am thrilled that you loved my recipe and I hope that you will make it soon, too.

Tony and I loved getting to see you, because you are definitely one of our favorite people who always makes us glad to call you a dear friend.

Next week we are hoping that we can walk and talk with you at the park. And if I bring Henry Standing Bear it might be more like speed-walking and unable to talk much, because I will be out of breath.

See you next week!