Wednesday, January 9, 2019

Heaven or H-E-Double Hockey Sticks! or Touched By Angels!

Today has been great. Last night I stayed up late until 12:45, so I could finish reading Christmas at Grey Sage and I loved the ending. And before I went to bed I sorted and rinsed one pound of pinto beans and left them to soak overnight.

So this morning I slept in and I was surrounded by all five of our sweet, sleeping dogs when I woke up. It was like heaven for me until I sat up, and said, "Today is going to be a great day!" Loudly clapped my hands together and jumped out of bed. But because I had startled our dogs I think they thought they had died and gone to H-E-Double Hockey Sticks.

After they had quit barking and were trying to remember why they were barking in the first place, they faithfully followed me into the kitchen, so I could make my first cup of coffee.

The Cabin was already all warm and cozy, thanks to Tony, for earlier putting another big log on the fire, so all I had to do after drinking my first sip of coffee was to put our dogs outside, so they could go water the trees, etc.

Once I was fully awake, I remembered that the beans were waiting for me to cook them for our lunch, so while I let my second cup of coffee cool, on the kitchen island, I decided to get creative with this new pot of beans about to be pressured cook in my Instant Pot.

So I peeled and sliced two zucchinis, diced some onion and garlic, added a can of Rotel Tomatoes and added a few spices to the beans, set the time and temperature on the Instant Pot and pushed the start button.

Then I brought the dogs back inside with me and as they slept and snored on the chairs and sofa—I started writing/editing on my third novella which before my eyes is growing itself into a full length book if I am not careful.

Anyway, an hour later, the alarm on the Instant Pot chimed—the beans were done and so was I with my writing.

Well, not to brag (But to brag.) this pot of beans was incredibly delicious and it just might become my new way of cooking beans from here on out.

Tony went absolutely nuts for these beans with the zucchini and he told me that he loved them and that this was the best pot of beans that he had ever eaten and it was because of the zucchini. And I had to agree with him. So to spill the beans, so to speak, here is a picture of them along with my new Cousin Nancy's Beans With Zucchini Soup Recipe:


Soak beans overnight. Drain and Rinse. Mix All Ingredients Together:

1 lb. Pinto Beans
2 Medium sized Zucchini - peeled and chopped
7 Cups of Water
2 Beef Bouillon cubes
1 Can of Rotel Tomatoes & Green Chilies
1 TBS. Garlic - diced
1/4 Cup Onion - diced
1 TBS. Tony Chachere's Original Seasoning
1 tsp. Chicken Fajita Seasoning (Or Salt & Pepper to taste)

Cook in Instant Pot on high setting for 1 hour. 
Stove Top: Cook for 21/2 - 3 Hours
Slow Cooker: 5-6 hours.

Serve over corn bread.

🍲🍲

Last night in my post I can't believe that I forgot to tell y'all that I was literally touched by an angel Monday and it was absolutely amazing and it instantly filled my heart with love and joy. And it was so powerful when it happened to me that it is something that I will never forget, with the exception being last night.

Monday afternoon, in Kerrville at an undisclosed location, I was standing in this line when an handsome, well-dressed, gentleman, who was standing in the line, next to my line, smiled broadly at me and reached out and tapped me on my shoulder, and said, "This will be your best year ever! I promise you that. It will be your best year ever. So Happy New Year!"

The people in both lines turned to watch us and they all started smiling at us. I was sort of in shock, because when this kind man touched my shoulder I felt this intense spark of energy that shot through my entire body. And I've never felt anything like that before. And trust me—I've seen many things.

I looked into his sparkling, clear blue eyes, and said, "Well, thank you. And Happy New Year to you too, Sir. I sure hope it is."

His grin was infectious and I could feel his warmth and his good vibes emanating from his entire body and I'm sure everyone else watching us felt it, too. Then he looked hard into my eyes with his twinkling eyes, and he said, "2019 is going to be the greatest year ever! I've just turned 75 years-old and my favorite number is 7 and my wife's favorite number is 5. I love her so much and we've been married for over 50 years. And every morning the first thing that I always tell her, that I'm embarrassed to say always puts a little tear in her eye that she tries to wipe away without me noticing, is, 'You are the most beautiful woman in the entire world and I'm the luckiest man alive to have your love."

As I and several other people, tried indiscreetly to wipe away small tears forming in our eyes, he touched my should again, and he said, "You are loved and you are so blessed and never forget that!" Then the man behind the counter said, "Next?" And he walked up to the counter to take care of his business. Then the nice woman, behind the counter for my line, said, Next?" And it was now my turn.

After this beautiful, 75 year old man finished his business and had walked away, I said to the man behind the counter and the woman waiting on me, "That man is a angel." And they smiled and agreed with me. And seriously, I truly believe that he was an angel in disguise—bringing joy and love to everyone he touched, because I am living proof of that and his words were exactly what I needed to hear.

As I finish writing this tonight, Tony just came in and got himself another bowl of my delicious bean with zucchini soup, and he said, "Nance, I really do love this soup. Please don't forget how to make it."

"Don't worry, Tone. I wrote down the recipe so I won't forget it." And that is about it for tonight.

Y'all have a great evening and keep on laughing!

6 comments:

Fay said...

Nancy, what a beautiful blog!! I think that wonderful man who wished you all the best things in 2019 looked at you and thought, "She's an Angel too, I'm going to talk to her", and the dynamic energy you shared with him is proof.

2019 IS going to be your best year ever, and 2020 even better.
Tail wags from Clan Maclachlan xx

cousin nancy said...

Hi Fay! You're too sweet. Thank you for your kind-hearted comment. Hugs to you and the Clan Maclachlan!

Mary Sanders said...

Thank you, Nancy. What a wonderful experience. Sometimes when we are doing the most mundane chores, an angel visits. You are so lucky! On a foodie note, I'd like to offer an upgrade to your wonderful zucchini bean soup. Try using bone broth instead of bullion. There is much less salt and it is very good for you. And yes, you may make this suggestion your own, and I'd be proud! Good days to you!

cousin nancy said...

Hi Mary! That is a great idea about using bone broth—I just stole it from you! And no one will ever know.

Mari of the NoMads said...

Hi, Mary and Nancy - could one or both of you please tell me where does beef consomme fall when it comes to comparisons with bouillon and bone broth? I'm poised to make this soup, but I want to do it right!

cousin nancy said...

Hi Mari! I'm thrilled that you are going to make my bean with zucchini recipe! I promise that you'll love it, too. About the beef consommé compared with bouillon—I have no clue. So do what I do—Google it!

P.S. Please let me know how you like the soup.