Wednesday, February 14, 2018

Okay, Now I'm Done!

Today has been great thank goodness, because the last three months were totally exhausting for both Tony and me. But the best news is that we survived the move and the shutting down of our beloved rescue ranch, with the awesome help of our good friends, at Austin Pets Alive.

In fact, we were so busy packing, moving, etc., during this time, that I finally found the time, two days ago, to remember to please ask Pat Symchych (our fabulous webmaster) to please post this farewell message on our utopiarescue.com site, before we officially take the site down next month.

Anyway, the past 90 days have been such a whirlwind for me there is simply too much for me to tell or explain. So, I am going to leave it like that and just look forward to what's ahead for Tony, Roy, Belle, Beau, Henry, Big Al(ice), Little Debbie and me. End of subject. So from here on out it's onward through the fog for me.

But wait! Omg, I forgot to say a big thank you to all of our dear friends that helped us, in one way or the other, during this transition period. I cannot express how much I appreciate those who either allowed me to vent my frustrations or literally cry on their shoulders, those who physically helped us move everything and for all of those who kept us in their prayers. Okay, now I am done. (I hope.)

This past Monday afternoon Tony and I had to go, to Kerrville, to buy groceries, at the big H-E-B.  On our way there Tony told me that he wanted to treat me to lunch, because I had finally quit whining, about this or that, that we still needed to do. And as soon as I said, "Okay," we both said, "Let's call Kris & Jim and invite them to eat lunch with us."

We had a really fun lunch with our dear friends, at the Cracker Barrel and believe it or not Tony and I did not order the exact same thing. Which I thought was pretty amazing.

Anyway, during our fun get-together, The Mineral Man and I started talking about easy ways to cook food without using our electric stove, because we still have not put the 220 in, so I can start using it, again. And FYI: My electric stove right now is still, over in Carol's barn, where she kindly is letting us store a lot of our stuff that we had to put somewhere.

When I complained to our friends about us being "stoveless" Jim's eyes lit up, and he said, "Nancy, get an Instant Pot! It does everything a stove does and more....In fact, H-E-B has them on sale right now for only $79.00....I am going to buy one myself....You can make pressure cooker Senate Bean Soup with it using navy beans."

Well, I must have had an odd look, on my face, because I've never heard of Senate Bean Soup, and that's why Kris added, "Oh, it is so delicious! It is my favorite soup that Jim makes."

"It's so easy," Jim chimed in, as we were leaving the Cracker Barrel. "I'll e-mail you the recipe when we get back home. You only need water, navy beans, butter, garlic, parsley, onion, salt & pepper and smoked ham hocks." And as we were exiting the dining area guess who walked in as we were leaving? Yes, it was Kinky, Max and Dylan, but they didn't see us, because they were talking to each other.

"Hi Kinky," I said, and it sort of startled him. Then he laughed and greeted us. So we had a fun, but short visit with him.

So after lunch, Tony and I adios-ed our dear friends and then we went to H-E-B to buy groceries. And the last thing that I put into our shopping cart, before checking out, was an Instant Pot. And to say the least, it was very exciting for me, because now I can cook, again. Instead of having to micro-wave junk food for us to eat.


Today, I made Jim's delicious recipe that he shared with me and I must admit that Cousin Nancy's Senate Bean Soup recipe was easy to make and it is absolutely delicious. And Tony loved it so much he actually ate seconds. Here is a picture of it, but you can't see the navy beans, because like a submarine they sort of sunk, to the bottom of the bowl.


Now before I go, I know that I told y'all that I would tell you the name of our new ranch, but I guess you could say that I lied, because yesterday I designed our ranch logo and took it to Tito, at TNJ Engraving, so they can make a gate sign for us. So sadly, y'all must wait for a couple of more days before we pick up our sign and I can reveal it. And that's about it for tonight.

P.S. Happy Valentines Day!

P.S.S. It feels so good to be blogging again!

Y'all have a great evening and keep on laughing!

9 comments:

Kris Bobbitt said...

Nancy,

So glad to see you settled and at peace in your home.

The soup tastes better than it looks in the picture (apologies to the photographer). You can cover the top in grated cheddar cheese or chopped green onions, or a dollop of sour cream, or all three. Add ham, or not. It would taste good with Mexican seasoning.

It’s called Senate Navy Bean Soup because it’s a staple on the menu at the U. S. Senate cafeteria.

Glad you got the cooking pot!

Kris

Anonymous said...

OH wow, I had no idea you were shutting down the rescue? So what is happening to your old trailer?? And how far away from he original homestead did you move? Susan G from Fort Worth?

Mary Sanders said...

Ah, Nancy,

I was shocked and even tearful when I read about the end of Utopia Ranch. I had been thinking the last couple of years as I tend my 5 little acres, that you guys need a rest.

To find that you are starting a fun new chapter lifted my spirits and hopefully you will continue to share your adventures with your loving followers. I've drunk my morning coffee reading of your projects, your animal adventures and enjoying the amazing characters in your lives.

Maybe one day if I get to Texas again, I can treat you to lunch and I'll be in suspense to see if you and Tony order the same thing!

Thank you for all your work with your many dogs and other animals, and the world is a better place for you being in it.

Looking forward to more books, projects and recipes!

Sincerely
Mary Sanders


Anonymous said...

oh my

Fay said...

So great to have you blogging again, Nancy! I have been missed reading about your adventures. Your place looks great, it takes months to get everything unpacked and in its place so be patient. We still haven't unpacked some stuff and we moved 15 years ago! LOL
We bought an old woodstove at auction this summer and have it outside. If you have a cast iron fry pan, you can make a ton of stuff on your woodstove. We have a long weekend in Canada and it's supposed to be a bit warmer here so I'm going to get the fire going in the woodstove outside and I am going to make Jim's Senate soup recipe this weekend on it! Will let you know how it turns out. Here's a cool link https://www.ourtinyhomestead.com/wood-stove-cooking.html
Say howdy to Tony for us and have a great weekend xx
Fay

cousin nancy said...

Hi Kris, Anon, Mary, Anon and Fay! Wow, thank y'all for your comments. I'm late for Happy Hour and Tone is waiting on me, out on the porch. Thank y'all for reading my blog and being patient with me when I was too tired to write anything. CHEERS!

cousin nancy said...

P.S. I want to invite all of y'all to come see us when you can. Tone and I would love it.

Anonymous said...

thank you so much for the invite. ...& now y'all can come visit all of us too. the only silver lining in this new twist to y'alls lives is that you both have a chance at arranging the schedule without the ranch duties. i know the ranch & pups meant the world to you & tony. i know this was heart wrenching to say good bye to the pups,the life y'all built,& the land. wondering how kinky is taking all of the change. i am just trying to think all is o.k. dang.

KarinPohlmann said...

Good luck at your new place! I hope you are fine! Many thanks for all you were doing!Greetings from Germany!