Monday, February 19, 2018

Cats Have Staff!

Today has been great even though this evening the weatherman has predicted heavy thunderstorms tonight for the Hill Country. Which to me means giving Big Al(ice) a tiny tranquilizer, putting her thunder jacket on her and then unplugging everything.

I am not complaining and this is totally doable as long as I can locate which unpacked box or garbage sack we packed it in. And Tony and I plan to start hunting for her jacket as soon as I finish writing this. So tonight is going to be a short post.

This afternoon after we ate lunch I decided to build another bookcase for our bathroom, so we can store more stuff. It took me less than an hour to make this smaller bookcase/storage cabinet and that included me spray painting two boards needed to complete the doors. Here is the unused space between the bathroom sink and the doorway where the bookcase/cabinet will go.


After taking measurements for it I went outside and used the chop saw to cut my 1"x4" boards. Then I came back inside and started building it, on top of the island. And in this picture knowing that I wanted to store toilet paper, I stacked two rolls of toilet paper and added a board, before I screwed the shelf in and I did it on both sides, so the shelf would be level.


After the bookcase was assembled, I took measurements for the doors and realized I was 2 boards short, so I went outside and I found 2 unpainted boards and chopped them to size. Then I came inside and studied the colors of my almost empty cans of spray paint. And as you can tell I used hunter green and colonial red. Then I built the two doors. 


And after Aaron helped me put the hinges on it I took it into our bathroom and secured it to the wall, using 2 L-brackets. Then I filled it with more of our stuff.


In the above picture you will see the embroidered sign, on the top of the bookcase/cabinet that reads:

DOGS HAVE OWNERS
Cats have staff

 I love that sign that I made, in 2003, because I remember making two of them. One to give to First Lady Laura Bush and one for me.  

The reason that I made the sign for Laura Bush, was to thank her for helping our rescue ranch, because she did a fabulous fundraising luncheon for us, at the Four Seasons, in Austin. 

And thinking back to that fun event I have to laugh at myself for doing something really stupid that day. You see Kinky had asked Tony and me to meet him, at the Four Seasons, about an hour before the luncheon began, so I could give Laura, a big time dog and cat lover, my embroidered sign and we could thank her for helping our Utopia Animal Rescue Ranch. 

Well, to say the least Tone and I were pretty nervous about the event and getting to meet the First Lady and all.  

Anyway to make a long story shorter, when we arrived at the Four Seasons Hotel, we quickly hooked up with Kinky, in the big, fancy dining room. All kinds of people were running around setting tables, doing a sound check, etc. and Laura Bush was standing about twenty feet away from us and she was  talking to someone.

Well about that time, Kinky took off to go greet some of the musicians and entertainers that would be performing and he left us standing there and told us he would be right back. So I decided it would be a good time for me to go over to Laura and deliver my gift to her. 

So I took off and walked right up to the First Lady and handed her my embroidered sign as I introduced myself, gave her a hug, and I thanking her for doing this awesome fundraiser for our rescue ranch. 

And she was as nice and gracious to me as she could be, even though unbeknownst to me, my actions were being carefully watched by all of these Secret Service men, dressed in their dark blue suits. And right after I did this Kinky showed up and he started talking to his friend Laura Bush about Tony and me and our rescue ranch. Bottom   Line: After the enjoyable event I found out that no one is to ever touch a First Lady and that was why I had semi-panicked the Secret Service guarding her. 

So please let this be a lesson to y'all if you are ever in the same room with a First Lady, so it will save you the embarrassment it caused me. And that's about it for tonight, because now I need to go find Big Al(ice)'s thunder jacket.

But wait, I forgot to tell you this. Following the Laura Bush luncheon, she graciously, posed to have her picture taken with everyone who attended the event. 

And the next day, following the fun, fundraising luncheon, Ronnie (my sweet, big brother) called me to talk about how much he enjoyed going to the luncheon. And before we adios-ed each other Ronnie told me that he also got his picture taken with Mrs. Bush, too. "Nance, she was so nice and the picture the cameraman took of us was me with my arm wrapped around Laura Bush's shoulder!...."

Y'all have a great evening and keep on laughing!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Many many years ago when the Texas Rangers baseball team were drumming up community support for their new arena, I went to an event at the old stadium called Hands Around the Stadium. Well GW Bush was there while his dad was still in office. I was wondering around the grounds when I spotted some really cool really black vehicles, I had no idea what they were. I went to walk closer to get a better glimpse of the vehicles and my hubby pulled me back and informed me that they belonged to Secret Service. It took me a few seconds to grasp what he was saying, that is when I noticed that I was being watched and watched really closely. I will not repeat the language I used but I backed away real slow. That was my one and only brush with SS. Susan G from Fort Worth.

cousin nancy said...

Hi Cousin Susie! That is a hilarious story. I guess it runs in our family. I think you should title your story "A Brush With a Bush." And I should title my tale "Hands Off." Or maybe we should write a family history book and title it: "Yes, It Happened And Many More."