Friday, April 4, 2014

The Carols!

Today has been great and yesterday was great and a whole lot of fun, so I will recap yesterday's events first.

Yesterday afternoon, after we ate lunch, Tony and I went to Kerrville to run several errands. Our first stop was at San Saba Caps, so we could pick up the Utopia Animal Rescue Ranch's t-shirts and caps, that our friends, Jim, "The Mineral Man" & Kris, volunteered to sell for us, at our Concert for Utopia. And just so you'll know—they look great.

After Tony filled up Trigger, while I bought groceries, at the H-E-B, on Main Street we headed over to Hoegemeyer Animal Clinic, so we could pick up the rest of the Flea & Tick Prevention pills, we had ordered for our dogs. While we were there, Ashley, the sweet vet technician, came into the lobby to ask us if she could please adopt Lorri and our answer was "Yes," with the understanding that Lorri and Carol must be happy about it.

The reason that I didn't write anything last night was because Chet, Tony and I went over to Carol's for a fun Happy Hour and a delicious dinner.

This morning I got up real early and went outside, at dawn, to start doing the chores, because the volunteers were coming out. I didn't have to do it, but I did it, because I like to have everyone fed, back in their pens and the pens cleaned before the volunteers arrive, so I can visit with our friends, etc. When Tony came back home, at 8:30, we had everything done by 9:00, when Jim showed up to walk our dogs for us.

Around 11:30, I went back outside to see when we were going to eat lunch, at the Medina Highpoint Resort. When I walked up to the barn, where everyone had gathered and laughing non-stop, I found out real quick what they were laughing about.

"I just went swimming," Suzanne confessed to me. "I am soaked from the neck down—thanks to George Carlin. He went into the creek and then he pulled me into the water..." After we had quit laughing, Ellen and June gave Suzanne an empty dog food sack and a bath towel to sit on, so her car seat wouldn't get wet. Then all of us took off to go eat lunch together.

Lunch was a lot of fun. Today I ordered their MOP Burger, because last Friday, June and Ellen had ordered it, without the bun and they had told me that it was delicious. When we started eating lunch Carol showed up, so she could visit with everyone.

As we ate, Carol asked June, Ellen and me what we were eating. "Their Mop Burger," June answered. "It comes with mushrooms, onion and pickles..."

After I had swallowed, I made an idiot out of myself, when I opened my mouth and asked this question, "Why is it called a MOP Burger?" Everyone started laughing.

"Because," June spoke slowly, "it's made with (pause) mushrooms, (pause) onions (pause) and pickles. That's why, (pause) Nancy." A few minutes later, Carol took off for Kerrville, to run a few errands and we left the building.

Later this afternoon, Carol called me, "Nancy, I still have to go to H-E-B and if you want me to, I can pick up Carol for y'all and bring her to the rescue ranch?"

As soon as Carol and I adios-ed each other, I half-hollered down the hallway, "Tony, Carol is picking up Carol and...." And fifteen minutes later, Tony came back inside The Cabin carrying in a big, see-through dog crate, for Carol. "It's perfect, Tony," I said. "Please put it right next to the kitchen table, so Carol can be close to me and Roy. I think she'll be happier in here with all of us. We'll let her live with us, until we can find her a forever home..." Then the phone rang.

"Nancy," Carol said. "Carol is the cutest, sweetest, little dog. Everyone at Hoegemeyer told me that they love her and I can see why. She's riding in my lap and we should be there in about twenty minutes..."

Carol was right about there timing. When the Carols arrived I grabbed my camera and went outside with Tony to go greet the girls, before shooting them, as they came through the front yard gate.


When we came inside the trailer, Carol was acting a little nervous, so Carol held her in her arms, as we took turns trying to calm Carol. Slowly, but surely Carol relaxed, so Carol put her down on the floor, so she could check things out, like Roy's latest, large grease stains, that he recently made from one of his many trash can raids. The good news is Carol was fine when it was time for Carol to go home.

Early this evening, Karon came over to meet Carol and like us, she fell in love with her and thought that she was precious, too. "She looks like a little fox," Karon remarked. "You should rename her Foxy Carol." And that is about it for tonight.

Y'all have a great evening!

4 comments:

Mari of the NoMads said...

Good thing it's not Christmas or we'd be hearing jokes about the Christmas Carols....... (I know, I know.....booo, right?)

Anyway I wanted to ask you if that plant behind the Carols is an Indian Hawthorne and, if so, how does it survive in view of the deer in your area??? Do you have a secret for saving it????

cousin nancy said...

Hi Mari! I am still laughing about the Christmas Carols. I have no idea what plant that is behind the Carols. I bought it twelve years ago and it was six inches tall and it is now taller than our trailer. I'll ask Tony what it is.

Anonymous said...

red tip photinia, maybe.

Mari of the NoMads said...

You know, Anonymous, I MEANT to ask if it was red tip photinia. I don't know WHY I asked about Indian Hawthorne. I knew better (but hey - I'm old)! We had a slew of red tip photinia plants at one of our homes - in Bandera on the Medina River. My husband thought a plague of locusts had eaten it all, but the neighbors confirmed it was a plague of DEER! That is why I was asking 'Cousin Nancy' how she had saved hers. We've never planted it anywhere in the hill country again!