Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Our Little Secret!

Today has been great. Nothing much has happened and telling you about the errands that Tony and I ran, in Kerrville, later this afternoon, is pretty boring, so I am going to tell you about Kinky's, Tony's and my little secret, that up until now I have not been comfortable to share, because I've needed to give it a lot of thought, because I've been pretty upset about it.

It all started a week ago, after we ate lunch, while I was washing the dishes and cleaning up the kitchen. The phone rang and I let Carlton do his job, because I was busy in the kitchen. As I listened to this person tell my answering machine that So-in-so had told she/he about us and So-in-so had recently adopted a dog from us, she/he then went on to say that she/he had a young, aggressive, female dog that she/he no longer wanted, because it was getting more aggressive. Then this person says that she/he had already come out late morning to drop off the dog, but she/he didn't because our gate was locked. And before hanging up, she/he left her/his name and phone number and asked for us to please call her/him as soon as possible, because she/he was anxious to bring us her/him dog that she/he no longer wanted.

Twenty minutes later, when Tony came back inside The Cabin, I told him about she/he's phone call. Tony and I talked about the woman/man anxious to give up on her/his dog and assuming that she/he could  just come out and drop off her/his dog and just drive away. We felt sorry for this dog, because we knew that we couldn't take it in, because we're at capacity out here.

Then she/he called back and Tony took the call. After Tony had told she/he that we could not help, because we had no space, this person gets sarcastic with Tony. And after giving Tony an ear full, she/he finally says, "Well, I don't know what to do. I guess I'll just have to go dump her...." When Tony finally hung up the phone he was disgusted with she/he.

About an hour later, the phone rang—it was Chet O'Keefe. "Nancy, Kinky just told me to call you, because there is a frightened, black dog running around over here and it acts aggressive when we try to approach it. Right now it is behind the white trailer. He wants to know if y'all are missing a dog..."

Five minutes later, Tony and I were over at the Lodge talking to Kinky and Chet about the mysterious dog, that was nowhere in sight. "I think some @#@### dumped her," Kinky said, disgustedly.

"And we're pretty sure that we know who did it, Kink," I said. After telling Kinky and Chet about she/he, it didn't take a rocket scientist for us to put two-and-two together. "What kind of a horrible person would go out and dump a dog? It says everything about someone's character and..." After I had put my two cents in, Tony and I returned home.

We hadn't been back inside The Cabin, for five minutes when, at 3:45, Caller ID time, the phone rang only once and then disconnected. "I bet that was she/he calling," I said. So we looked at the Caller ID and sure enough it was she/he's phone number. Now comes the good part and I promise to keep it as short as possible.

Later that evening, Kinky called to tell me that the dog was very frightened and had acted aggressive, but after he had cooked a steak for her, she had warmed up to him and Chet. Before we adios-ed each other he told me that he had named her Sugar.

Wednesday morning, before we did our chores outside, Kinky called Tony and asked him to come over  so he could meet Sugar. Ten minutes later, as I heard Kermit approaching and the phone ringing, I picked up the phone and started talking to Kinky. "Nance, Tony just left here. Sugar went into attack mode when she saw Tony and she acted like she was going to attack him. It was horrible. Maybe his cowboy hat scared her...."

Wednesday evening, Kinky called and asked me to come over to meet Sugar, to see if she would act aggressive towards me.

When I arrived at the Lodge, I waved to Kinky and then Sugar started barking and came charging up to me with her teeth showing. I immediately put my hands into my jean pockets and completely ignored her as I walked over to Kinky, like nothing was going on. "Kinky, I'm ignoring her on purpose. Let's go for a walk down to the creek."

As The Friedmans and Sugar followed us down to the creek, Sugar kept coming up to sniff me and I continued to ignore her—it was starting to work. A little while later when Sugar took off running to chase something, I hollered, "Sugar! Come back here! Now!" Sugar stopped in her tracks, looked back at me and then came running up to me with her tail wagging wildly. So, I started petting her and telling her how beautiful she was and what a great dog she was. Sugar was eating up my kind words and then she jumped up on me and kissed me on my cheek—we were best buds!

Forty minutes later, when we arrived back at the Lodge, Sugar and I were best friends. When Kinky and I sat down in the rockers, Winston immediately jumped up on Kinky's lap and seconds later, to both Kinky's and my surprise, Sugar jumped up on lap without me asking her to.

Because Sugar is so big, about fifty-five pounds, she kept slip sliding off of my lap and she was so relaxed that she let me grab her and pull her up, to help her get comfortable, on me. Kink and I were really thrilled about Sugar sitting in my lap, especially without an invitation, and it has been our little secret. And one of the reasons that I have not been blogging very much this week is because at least once or twice a day, since then, I have been spending several hours a day, over at Kinky's, sitting in a rocker, with Sugar laying on my lap and kissing me, while I visit with Kinky. In other words, "I just ran out of time to write."

As I finish writing this tonight, Kinky and I have kept working with Sugar daily and she actually is a great dog, that just got fouled up and needs some extra special tender loving care and work. She still acts aggressive towards Tony, probably because some creepy, guy, wearing a cowboy hat abused her, but I know that all of that will pass sooner than later, because me and all of our dogs love Tony. Sorry, for this long post tonight.

P.S. Early this evening, Sugar let me tie one of Kinky's red bandanas around her neck, because I wanted to see if she trusted me enough to do that, because I want to put a collar on her soon. And while I was writing this tonight Kinky called twice to tell me that Sugar let him put a slip leash around her neck and he took her for a long walk and she did just fine on leash. And a few minutes ago, Kinky called me, again, to tell me that he, The Friedmans and Sugar jumped into his truck, Mr. Green Jeans, to go dump the trash and he told me that she rode great inside his truck. "She's going to be a great dog, Nance!..."

Y'all have a great evening!

3 comments:

Jacquelin Cangro said...

What a great post! I hope Sugar is doing well and I hope she'll come around to Tony soon.

cousin nancy said...

She'll be coming around that mountain sooner than later and all of us cannot wait. Thank you for your comment.

Sheila said...

The one good thing he/she did was dump Sugar off with you guys. So glad you seem to be helping her. I am sure someone who will love and appreciate her will adopt her. Hugs to you and Kinky.