Wednesday, August 22, 2012

1,000!

Today has been incredibly great, thanks to Blayre, an incredibly awesome, Girl Scout. This morning around 9:00, I went outside to start to feed the dogs. While I was feeding Ruth Buzzi and Chuck, the dogs started barking because a vehicle was driving in. I figured it was Eileen, because she had volunteered to come out to help me with the morning chores, since Tony is her mente, was in Kerrville, attending his first Texas Master Naturalist class. Well, I figured wrong again, because it was Blayre and her family.

When I met up with them at the barn, Blayre and her father introduced me to her brother and sister, who had come along to see our rescue ranch. After greetings, Blayre blew-me-out-of-the-saddle when she told me, "I have 1,000 dog treats to deliver today," as Eileen pulled up and parked her car by the barn.

"Oh my goodness! You are an angel," I exclaimed. "You and your three friends baked 1,000 dog cookies for our dogs? Eileen, you are not going to believe this!" I said, as she walked up to join us. "This is Blayre and her family. She's the awesome Girl Scout, that I've told you about and she's only fourteen-years-old." Then Blayre pulled out her packaged healthy, homemade dog snacks for us to put into the refrigerator. Then her father shot us with his camera. But, because I looked so fat, in the picture, I cropped it. So, here's Blayre holding her 1,000 doggie treats and my right shoulder, which I think doesn't look fat any more.


After we unloaded her tasty K-9 treats, Blayre handed me some copies of her tweaked recipe, so I could hand it out to adopters and visitors. 

Even though I am known for stealing all of my friends delicious recipes and turning them into, "Cousin Nancy's" delicious recipes, I can't steal Blayre's Dog Treats recipe, because I too, was once a Girl Scout, some fifty odd years ago (And not as good of a one as Blayre is.), she deserves to take all of the credit. So if you want "Blayre's Utopian Treats" recipe, you must come out and adopt a dog from us or just ask for a copy.

Before it was time for Blayre and her family to leave, she had one last request of me, "Could I get my picture taken with you and your dog Roy Rogers, because you said, "Roy likes the treats so much."

"Sure, hop into Kermit and I'll take y'all up to The Cabin. He's in the front yard waiting for us." After Ol' Roy had slobbered on both of them, Blayre's father took this fine picture of Blayre, Roy and my almost slender-looking shoulder.


After Blayre and her family drove away, I grabbed an empty bucket and my pink-taped handles, pooper-scooper to go help Eileen finish spot-cleaning the dog pens and I had so much fun visiting with her. Before she left to go volunteer some where else, she showed me the video she took at the Crosby, Stills & Nash concert, in San Antone. "Nancy, the concert was fabulous. You should have gone with me."

After I had thanked Eileen for helping me out this morning, she drove away and a few minutes later, Trigger and I drove away, to go meet Jon & Sandy and her brother Randy for lunch, at the Koyote Ranch Grill.

I had a blast eating lunch with them and at some point during our fun conversation I said, "This has been so much fun eating lunch with y'all today. Thanks, for inviting me to join you. I am going to play a trick on Tone and not tell him about having lunch with y'all today and..." And that was a total lie, because when T. called me, from his cell phone, in Kerrville, it was the first thing I told him.

"That's great, Nance," my missing husband said, unenthusiastically, "but I am still sort of hungry, Could you fix lunch for me? I should be home in about forty minutes."

When he arrived home, I had a grilled cheese sandwich and a hot bowl of Cal-Bob's Smoke Shack's famous Red Pepper Soup, waiting for him. As he ate his lunch, he told me, "Thanks, for making me lunch. On my way home, I was hoping that you would make me a grilled cheese sandwich and heat up Calvin's soup. Don't you think that is weird?"

"Not really," I said, as I marched into our bedroom. 

A little later, when I got up from a short, sleepless, but enjoyable nap with my dogs, Tony showed me some of his latest photos that he has taken. They were all beautiful photos taken in The Okay Corral, but this one really caught my eye. It is so beautiful and don't worry, I didn't crop myself out of it.


Around 5:30 this evening, it rained for about five minutes and I am not complaining about it, because right now, we need every precious drop of water that we can get. And that's about it for tonight. Thank you, Blayre and Eileen!

Y'all have a great evening!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

ah, come on nancy, put yourself back in the pictures:)spectacular achievement of the dog treats.

cousin nancy said...

Hi Anon! All of us, including our great volunteers, think what Blayre has done is totally incredible, especially our dogs. About putting me back into the pictures—no way.
I am now on my own kind of diet, which is eat anything that you want to eat, but in small portions. I hope to be back on the screen sooner than later. Thanks for commenting.

Mari of the NoMads said...

Nancy, long LONG ago I remember reading that diet of yours is the same way Dolly Parton lost all her weight, so there's 'method in your madness'! Good luck to you on your weight loss - you can DO it! (We - your devoted fans - can't wait to see your 'after' pictures!)