Friday, September 28, 2012

Our (Metal) Cabin!

Yesterday and today have been great, because of Ben Welch and our wonderful friends/volunteers. Yesterday after Ben and Tony did the morning chores outside, I recruited his help to help me remodel Tony's and my bedroom, because I wanted to cover two of the bedroom's walls with that, made in Sweden pine, from Home Depot.

Yesterday, when I enlisted Ben to help me, I was expecting to share the work load, but it ended up that Ben basically did all of the work, which was good, because unlike me, he is somewhat of a perfectionist and it turned out beautiful and it feels like a cozy cabin.

So, when he had finished covering the wall, within a couple of hours, I loved it so much—he and I went to Home Depot and bought thirty-five more boards, so we could do the opposite wall today. Here is the new boarded wall that Ben built.


The reason that I did not write last night, was because I completed building the small section between the wall and the closet door. This is the way the wall looked before I started putting up the boards, where Willie's concert poster is hanging.



This morning June, Ellen, Eileen, Lisa, Kris and Jim, our super great friends/volunteers came out to walk our dogs and as always, I had a blast with them. Before all of us took off to go eat lunch at the Koyote Kafe, Eileen and Lisa came up to the trailer, because they wanted to give me something. 

First they gave me two scratch offs they had gotten for Tony, but because T. was gone on a Texas Master Naturalist field trip, they asked me to scratch off the tickets, which was fun, but unfortunately did not turn out to be a financial pleasure. 

Then Lisa gave me a large sack of Brookside Dark Chocolate Covered Cranberries, which are totally delicious and hard to quit eating. Then Eileen handed me a copy of Pam Stone's latest book, I Love Me A Turkey Butt Samwich: Finding A Farm Life After Hollywood," who her sister Dean knows and Dean got it signed by Pam, because they know that I watch Coach reruns every night and that I love the character, Coach Watkins, that Pam played. "Thank you, Lisa, Eileen, Dean and Pam!"


Ben and I were the last to arrive at the Koyote Kafe and lunch with our friends/volunteers was a total blast for me. June's hilarious story about what happened to her and her husband, who were inside their house, when lightning hit their house, because of their flag pole, had tears falling from my eyes, because my back was killing me from laughing so much. And Jim's hilarious story about what happened to his friend's fifteen-year-old son, when lightning struck their house, while he was secretly, in his room, reading a Playboy magazine, made all of us shake with laughter. 

I embarrassed Ben, when Pete, one of the friendly Koyote Ranch employees, walked over to our table and asked me, "Where's Tony Bologne today?"

I looked over at Ben and jokingly said, "I dumped Tony. Ben's my new boyfriend." That caused Ben to blush and everyone else to laugh.

Then Ellen says, "It's a no-brainer. Ben brings her chocolate." And that made Ben and us burst out laughing again.

When Ben drove me back to the rescue ranch, we immediately "set up shop," on the front porch and then got to work on finishing the rest of the wall that I had started on last night, while Roy Rogers slept peaceably in the middle of the bed. 

It took us less than an hour to complete my project and I was thrilled that Ben actually let me use a screw gun, a couple of times, to drive a few of the screws into the wall. When we had finished, Tony arrived and like us, he could not believe how great, the two newly boarded walls, made our bedroom look. "It feels just like a cabin to me. I love our metal cabin!" I raved, in delight. Here's how that unfinished wall turned out.


And that's about it for tonight, because I am fixin' to go back into our cozy cabin bedroom, snuggle up on the bed with our six dogs and read Pam Stone's book, which Ellen and Eileen told me is very funny and a great read, while it continues to rain outside.

Y'all have a great evening!

3 comments:

Fay said...

Reno looks amazing! Love the pine, it's so warm & cozy. I'm glad the full moon is over 'til next time. Crazy week leading up to it for sure!
Fay xo

cousin nancy said...

Hi, Fay! I love the bedroom wood improvement. Can I use you as one of the main characters?

Fay said...

Of course you can! I would be honoured *blush*