Thursday, October 13, 2011

Street of the Seven Angels! or Vote For Honest Harley! or Down By The River!

Today has been great, but somewhat crazy and I am blaming it all on F.M.T. (Full Moon Time). Early this afternoon Tony and I took off for Kerrville, so we could go by Wolfmueller's Book just to say," Hi" to Sandy and Jon, eat lunch somewhere, go to H-E-B, so we could replace the two rotting steaks that Tony had accidentally left under the driver's seat inside Trigger and lastly, to pick up Ginger Rogers at Hoegemeyer Animal Clinic and take her home and we ended up having a few nice surprises along the way.

When we walked inside Sandy and Jon's bookstore we greeted each other and then Sandy holds up a pretty book and says, "Nancy, have you got a copy of your uncle's book, Street of the Seven Angels?"

"No, but I do now, because I'm buying this book right now. How much is it?" As I was writing a check to pay for the book, Sandy and Jon told me that there has been a lot of news, in the last few days, about my famous uncle, John Howard Griffin, my mother's brother, because his book, Black Like Me, is celebrating it's 50 year anniversary when it was first published, back when I was only 10 years old, living in Fort Worth, 2 years before my 6th grade Russian teacher tried to convince me that Communism was good and so was caviar.

After we had talked some about Uncle Howard, Sandy and Jon told us some great news, "Harley has decided to run for Precinct Commissioner of Kerrville and y'all need to sign his petition, because he needs to collect 90 signatures. Isn't that great! We're helping him collect the signatures at our store."

While Tone and I signed our names to Harley's petition, we decided to save some time and go eat a healthy, delicious lunch at the Water Street Cafe, even though my good friend Mari and I had made earlier plans to eat there today or tomorrow with Karin, but because of some last minute rescheduling on my end—I had to cancel our lunch date. "Hey!" I said. "Why don't y'all or one of you take turns and join us for lunch?"

"I just got back from seeing Kevin. We'll try to," Sandy said. Then we adios-ed them and walked down the sidewalk to Kevin's popular restaurant on Water Street.

"Hi, Cousin Nancy and Tony!" Kevin greeted, as we walked in. "How have y'all been doing?..." While I ate my favorite combo, "Black Bean Soup and Chef Salad" and Tony happily munched away on his roast beef sandwich, Jon walked inside and sat down with us and then Kevin walked over to our table, so we could talk about how excited we all were that our dear friend Harley Belew had decided to run for Precinct Commissioner. When we told Kevin that Jon and Sandy and us had already signed his petition at Wolfmueller's Books, he told us that he and his sweet wife would go down to their bookstore and sign Harley's petition too. Then came surprise number two.

While I was paying for our lunch, I told Kevin about Ginger Rogers, the cute little Chihuahua that we rescued yesterday from Garnet and Jan, that we were fixin' to pick up, after grabbing some steaks at H-E-B and his eyes lit up and then he told his pretty wife about us rescuing Ginger Rogers and her eyes lit up, too. "We've been wanting to get our daughter a small dog and we might want to adopt Ginger or at least give her a try..." Five minutes later, after telling them all we knew about Ginger Rogers we promised to come back and let them meet Ginger, before they closed for the day.

Well, we kept our promise to them and tonight Kevin and Julie are giving Miss R. a chance to possibly become their daughter's dog and we hope that it works out, but if it doesn't for one reason or another, I told Kevin and Julie, "It's either meant to be or not meant to be and if its not don't worry, because I know that we can find her a great home, because little dogs always get adopted fast..."

Early this evening I thumbed through Street of the Seven Angels and smiled, when I read that my uncle only wrote when he was listening to classical music and that he was also a marvelous, humorist essayist, because even though I realize that I am not in the same league as my Uncle Howard, I too, am an essayist and I too, only write while listening to my music and in hopes that it makes you laugh often.

So, that is about it for tonight, because I plan to start reading my uncle's book, that was never published during his life time, until Bob Bonazzi, of Wings Press, in San Antonio, who later married uncle Howard's wife and lived next door to my parents in Fort Worth. Thank you, Bob. I sure miss all of them.

P.S. This morning I did my Utopia segment on The Harley Show and Emmylou Harris was his Pet of the Week and Karin has just called me from the H-E-B store in Kerrville, where she is buying some beer.


Karin told me that she had a wonderful time in San Antonio today! She got to see the real Alamo, take a buggy ride pulled by a horse, ride in a barge down the famous, beautiful River Walk and she drank one beer at a famous saloon there. The only thing bad that happened to her was she got a parking ticket at the U.T.S.A. campus, but she sounded happy and told me that she was so glad to be back in Kerrville and she is coming out here tomorrow morning to walk our dogs with our fabulous volunteers! I am so inspired by her braveness to go into San Antone and just sorry that she got a parking fine, but I can't wait for her to meet our volunteers, because they are going to love her and she is going to love them. 

Y'all have a great evening and please keep praying for us to get some more rain!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey your bday is coming! or has it already passed? your blog has been really great.

cousin nancy said...

Hi, Anon! Thank you for the comment and the compliment. Monday, the 17th is my 60th birthday and I am going to be celebrating it with our fabulous volunteers, Karin, Carol and Tony! I am so lucky to have such great friends!

Anonymous said...

i know your friends feel the same about you....and the dogs of texas are luckylucky to have you:) great days for a great lady. love to you and yours, anon