Monday, July 27, 2009

Bang! Bang! Bang!

This afternoon, we needed to go to Hoegemeyer Animal Clinic in Kerrville, so we could drop off Burt Lancaster, for some minor eye surgery, and to also pick up Ellen Degeneres. The woman who had adopted Ellen, a few weeks, ago, could no longer keep her, because of a dispute with her apartment manager, so she dropped Ellen off this morning at the clinic, so we could pick her up when we came to town.

Tony and I had just fastened our seat belts, closed the doors, when Buttermilk's air conditioner refused to blow cool air out of her vents. Fortunately, Tony knew exactly what to do, but he needed my help or so I thought. "Nance get out of the car." He and I got out. Then he opened up the hood, and then he picked up a big rock and handed it to me. "You need to know how to do this in case this ever happens to you when I'm not there. See that dark blue canister looking thing. When I turn on the engine, I want you to tap it real hard with this rock." I was nervous.

Tony got back inside the Explorer and cranked the engine. "Tap it Nancy!" Tony hollered. I banged the blue cylinder four times! Then Tone got out of the car, slammed the hood shut and said, "You fixed it. Let's go!"

We drove down to the puppy pen and picked up Burt. Then we took off for Hoegemeyers. After we dropped Burt off, we went to grab a bite to eat.

After lunch, we got back into Buttermilk, and we had no air conditioning, again and it was nearly a hundred degrees outside. Tone popped the hood, and then he got back inside the car and asked me to go find a rock, so I could do my tap routine, again. I refused, because all of these well dressed people were now standing around the parking lot—watching us!

"You do it, Tone," I said, softly. "I'm embarrassed. I feel like we've just become the Beverly Hillbillies of Kerrville, Texas. And besides that, where am I going to find a big rock? The only thing around here are these giant transplanted Palm Trees!" The heat was really starting to take a toll on me. "I guess that I could walk over to Gibsons. I bet I can find a big rock they can sell me. Do you want me to walk over there and buy a rock?" Tony started laughing uncontrollably.

"I love you, Nance." Then he kissed me. Then he pulled off his boot, and got out of the Explorer! "Start Buttermilk." I reached over and turned the ignition key. Bang! Bang! Bang!

"The air conditioner is working!" I half-hollered."Let's go pick up Ellen and go home!"

Y'all have a great evening!

No comments: