Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Christmas In July!

Today has been great. This morning after Tony and I did our morning chores outside—Kinky called me and five minutes later, I was sitting in Kinky's kitchen, petting Walter Matthau. "Nance," Kinky said, "I want to adopt Walter. He's a great little dog and he gets along great with The Friedmans..."

When Kinky quit telling me how much he loved Walt, I said, "I wanted to adopted him, too, but you can adopt him, because The Friedmans are the same size and that would be much better for him instead of living with our house of giants. Kinky, Roy weighs 108 pounds."

That made Kinky chuckle. "Roy's one gigantic dog. I suggest that you and I have joint custody of Walter, like we did with Toto. Walter can live over here and you can come see him anytime you want." I was thrilled about us having joint custody of the adorable, little, black dog.

Before Kinky and I adios-ed each other, Kinky invited me and Tony to eat lunch with him and our friends, Donna Gable Hatch and Steve Peitzsch.

At 1:45, when we walked inside Wolfmueller's Books, Kinky and Steve were already there, visiting with Sandy and Jon. While we were visiting, Tony purchased a signed copy of A Beginner's Handbook for Rural Texas Landowners: How to Live in the Country Without Spoiling It by Jim Stanley, a local Master Naturalist, that Tony knew and greatly admired.


Then Sandy or Jon handed me a small book and said, "Nancy, we want to give this to you."


"Oh my goodness! Thank y'all so much. I love this." Then I started thumbing through it. "This was printed in 1955 and I'm going to get it framed. Kinky, it's a Sears Roebuck and CO.'s Roy Rogers Merry Christmas book and the title is Roy Rogers and The Other Christmas Tree. This is like Christmas in July for me."

Kinky, who was sitting on their desk top, next to the counter, nodded his head and smiled. "Let's eat at El Sol de Mexico." Then he told Steve where it was on Water Street and how delicious their Mexican food was, while Tony took off for his 2:00 chiropractic appointment. 

Steve tried to call Donna, on his cell phone, so she would know where to meet us, but his phone was acting up, so Jon ended up punching in Donna's phone number on their LAN line, so Steve could leave her a message. Then Kinky said, "Hey, it's only about four blocks away, so let's walk there." Then Kinky, Steve and I adios-ed our dear friends and left the building.

It was a lot of fun walking down to El Sol de Mexico with Kinky and Steve. We laughed and joked all of the way there. Lunch was a total blast and our food was delicious, too. And that is about it for tonight, because after listening to everyone talking about being so excited for tonight's Soccer Ball game, I plan on watching our USA Soccer Ball Team win, even though I know nothing about the sport.

Y'all have a great evening! 

7:00 PM Update: Laugh out loud. I just turned on the television to watch the soccer game. I asked Tony what channel it was on and he said, "They lost. It was on around 3:00." 

No comments: