Thursday, March 20, 2014

The Cowgirl Sisterhood Rides Again!

Today ended up being great. The last two days have been very busy for me, especially since I have been some what sleep deprived. Last night, around 9:00, I had to run over to the Lodge, because Don, who is baby sitting The Friedmans for Kinky, thought that Winston Churchill had been sprayed by a skunk.

When I got over there, I smelled skunk nearby and fortunately for Winston he didn't end up being the skunk's smelly target, so I came back home and played Scrabble until 11:00 and I didn't fall to sleep until after midnight.

I got up at 6:00, so I could wake up before doing the Utopia Animal Rescue Ranch segment on The Harley Show, at 7:45. Before I did Harley, I cleaned both bathrooms, washed a load of clothes, wrote checks to pay a few bills, etc.

When Tony came back home, he walked inside The Cabin and said, "Dang it! Landry and Grace Kelly dug out again and they are running around the rescue ranch. I'm going to cancel Chet's and my trip to Port A, tomorrow, because I can't leave you here with them getting out and..."

"Settle down, Tone. You're not canceling your trip. We can fix this."

"I need to go put a hot wire at the bottom of their fence and..." Five minutes later, after Tony caught Landry he started working on wiring the fence, so I jumped into Buttermilk and drove around the ranch looking for Grace Kelly.

Twenty minutes later, I put Ms. Kelly back into her pen. She was totally exhausted from all of the fun that she had had and Landry was very happy to see her, while Tony continued working inside their pen. "I'll get started on the chores," I said. Then I took off for the barn, so I could feed the dogs.

A little past noon, Tony and I were finally done working outside. When we returned to The Cabin, Carlton was flashing, on top of the breakfast bar, so I pushed his button. "You have ten new messages, " he teased.

The first nine messages were depressing, because people were asking us to take their dogs and cats, etc. and I knew that I would have to call them back to tell them that we are at capacity and we can't. The tenth message cheered me up when I heard, "Hi Nancy. Hi Tony. It's Carol. I am calling you from the top of a mountain, behind my ranch. I rode Rosebud and ponied Maya up here. Nancy, when I get back down to the ranch, let's ride the horses. I should be back in about an hour and a half..."

After I returned all of the phone calls, except Carol's, I made us lunch. Anyway, as I said earlier, the last two days have been real busy, so I decided to take a few hours off and go horseback riding with Carol, because I needed to take a break from the rescue ranch and just have some fun riding our horses and laughing with Carol.

When I arrived at Carol's ranch, she had already saddled our horses, at the barn. "Thank you, Carol." In this picture Carol is standing next to Rosebud and Maya is on the right.


Within minutes, our exclusive, two members only, Cowgirl Sisterhood, was back in the saddle, riding around Carol's beautiful ranch and I was laughing about life once again, thanks to Carol and our magnificent American Quarter Horses. Carol took these two pictures of me riding Maya, using her iPhone.



Around 5:30, when I got back home, I felt like a new person, refreshed and ready to take on anything, which was good because, Kinky had already called twice and he needed to talk to me about several things, etc. There is so much stuff that I have left out about our busy days, because it would wear me out to tell it all. Anyway, that's about it for tonight. 

Y'all have a great evening!

2 comments:

Mari of the NoMads said...


"There is nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse" is a quote by Winston Churchill. Or maybe Will Rogers, or maybe both. All I know is that it's a fact.

I sure miss mine.

cousin nancy said...

Hi Mari! You've got that right. When I ride Maya all of my troubles instantly disappear and when you add Carol and her dry humor to the mix—life is not only good—it's hilarious.