Thursday, March 6, 2014

Call Me!

Today has been great. Mama and I woke up real early, just before Tony left to go drink coffee with his friends, at the Old Timer. As soon as Tony adios-ed us, I sat down, at the kitchen table and drank a delicious cup of Donut Shop Coffee, as I checked my e-mail.

Then I decided to try to meditate for a few minutes, before calling my friend, Harley Belew, at the radio station, to do the weekly Utopia Animal Rescue Segment. Nine times out of ten, it is hard for me to meditate for more than three minutes, because of the phone ringing or Mama holding the front door open for our other three dogs, to go outside, to bark at a deer, an armadillo or a squirrel. Anyway, I decided to give it a try.

I went into our bedroom, sat down on the dog-hair-covered wooden floor, next to our cedar bed, so I could use our bed, as a crutch, to help me stand back up. I had only been om-ing for about a minute or so, when this hilarious thought, about the perfect prank that I should play on Jeff, "The Singing Safety," popped into my head. I laughed so loud, it startled Mama who is hard of hearing like me and was sound asleep, on our bed. She barked once and then Mama leapt off the bed, not knowing that I was sitting right there beneath her, on the floor. She was in such a hurry, she barely cleared the top of my head, so I figured it was a sign for me to stop om-ing.

I have no clue, why things are always popping into my brain when I am trying to meditate, but I like it and I love the prank that was presented to me. It was perfect and I could not wait to go call Carol and tell her all about the perfect-prank-premonition that had come to me.

When I called Carol, I got her answering machine, that doesn't have a name. "Carol, I've got the perfect prank to play on Jeff. Call me. Bye."

A little later, when I did the Harley Show, his Pet of the Week was Roscoe. Last week, Roscoe was his Pet of the Week, too, because he is such a great Lab puppy that needs to get into a great home like his sister, Daisy, has found, in Arizona.

Right after I did Harley's radio show the phone rang. A nice man named Henry had just heard me, on the radio, talking about Roscoe and he was interested in possibly adopting him, but he had a few questions to ask me about this great, big puppy.

Around 11:00, as planned, Henry and his sweet wife and their two adorable girls arrived. Tony and I liked Henry and his wife immediately and we thought their little girls were precious, in their tiny, pink sweat suits.

The couple liked Roscoe immediately and we talked for a while about Labs, as Henry and Tony tried to calm Roscoe down some, so their children could pet him, without him accidentally knocking them down with his tail. "Why don't we take Roscoe on a walk down to the creek?" I suggested. And minutes later, we were walking Roscoe down to the creek.

By the time we returned to the rescue ranch, the super nice couple told me, "We want to adopt Roscoe. He reminds us of our last lovable Lab. We think he will work out fine, as soon as he adjusts to our home and daughters." So, I took off for The Cabin, so I could fill out Roscoe's adoption papers.

Ten minutes later, after they had signed off on Roscoe's adoption papers—he was officially adopted! Before we adios-ed the family, so they could take Roscoe to his new home, I snapped this picture of Henry and Roscoe. And, we all have our fingers crossed for Roscoe, that Roscoe isn't too much for their girls and that he has found his forever, great home.


When Tony and I came back inside, Carlton was flashing, on top of the breakfast bar, so I pressed his button and heard the sweetest message from George Fischer, that 82 year-old, author of The Last DK Cowboy and his other books about his life as a real cowboy. His last words were, "Nancy, my wife and I are looking forward to meeting you, Tony, Kinky and Big G for lunch, in Kerrville. Bye." And all of us are looking forward to doing lunch with George and his sweet wife sooner than later.

When I started to get out the pots and pans to cook us lunch, Tony suggested, "Why don't I treat you to lunch, at the Medina Highpoint Resort?" Fifteen minutes later, we were up at our favorite resort, laughing and cutting up with their fun employees. And, needless to say, "Our lunch was delicious and fun."

When we got back home Carlton was flashing, again. It wasn't Kinky or George who had left messages earlier—it was Carol, "Nancy, I can't wait to hear what you are going to do to Jeff. Call me." 

I picked up the phone and punched in Carol's number and got her machine again, "Carol, we're home. Call me!" When I turned off the phone, Tony handed me a copy of the Bandera County Courier, Thursday, March 6, 2014 newspaper. "You're in the paper again. Read this."

I looked at page 10B and read the headline: "This is for you, Cousin Nancy!" above Jeremy Clyde's picture.


I was smiling ear to ear when I finished reading the ad that Will and Sue had placed in the newspaper and I want to thank them and the Bandera County Courier for making my day so great. Kinky, Tony, our volunteers and I loved Chad & Jeremy and all of us were thrilled when Chad got adopted and then Jeremy finally found his fantastic, forever home, too. Here is a picture that I took of Jeremy, when he came to our rescue ranch.


And that is about it for tonight. (Carol, call me!)

Y'all have a great evening!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Cousin Nancy,
Congratulations on finding Roscoe a new home. If I can assist in your prank on my dear friend Jeff Severson, count me in.

Bill Meyers

cousin nancy said...

Thanks, Bill! Next month, after I pull this one off, I will need your help.