Friday, June 1, 2012

My Special Package!

Today has been a blast. This morning the Fab 4; June, Ellen, Eileen and Lisa came out to walk our dogs early, before we had a really fun picnic with them and Carol, to celebrate Ellen's belated birthday. And the Fab 4 brought all of the delicious food too, so the only thing for Tony to cook was the steaks!

When T. started up the grill and The Girls began to gather, in the Okay Corral, I had to remain inside The Cabin, because I was expecting a very important phone call, from our friendly Postal Carrier, so I could drive down to meet him at our post office box, out on Highway 16, so I could sign for it.

After waiting for the phone to ring for some time, I decided to go outside and take the phone with me, so I could visit with our dear friends. When they saw me carrying the phone, I explained to them about having to meet Kent, at the mailboxes, so I could sign for my special package.

When I told them about me signing up online, to be a minister, last Wednesday and waiting to receive my deluxe minister kit, Ellen told me that she had also signed up a while back and that she was a minister too and that she was going to marry her niece, some time in August. So, all of us spent a lot of time talking and making jokes about Reverend Ellen's and Reverend Nancy's new part-time careers, as T. cooked the steaks.

"Y'all the steaks are ready," Tony finally declared. "Come and get it." After we had come and got it, we enjoyed a delicious meal of Kal-Bob's Cook Shack cole slaw and potato salad, homemade pork & beans and rib-eyes. Then for dessert we ate Lisa's delicious homemade, chocolate birthday cake. And right after that the phone rang—it was Kent, so I adios-ed everyone and then jumped into Trigger and took off to go meet Kent at the mailboxes.

Kent is one of the best postal carriers in Texas. Seriously, he is always friendly, helpful and is very conscientious about his job. "Nancy, I am so sorry for being late..."

"Kent, stop apologizing. Thank you, so much for calling me about my package and taking the time to meet me, so I didn't have to drive to Medina to pick it up..."

When I returned to Ellen's birthday party, everyone started teasing me and bowing their heads at me, which I thought was pretty funny. "Here's my deluxe minister starter kit," I said, holding up the package. "Tony, could you open this for me?"

All eyes were on Tony, as he carefully opened up the package, using his sharp pocket knife. "Omg!" I said, as I pulled out the contents. "Look at all of this!" As we checked out my started kit, admiring the two bumper stickers, my snap-on clergy badge, Minister parking permit, Press Pass, Ministerial Consulate parking permit, my Guide to Divinity handbook, my Credentials of Ministry to certify me, the Wedding Officiant, Certificate of Marriage, Certificate of Commitment, Affirmation of Love, House of Blessing, Certificate of Baptism certificates, all with gold seals and the beautiful red writing pen—Ellen said, sounding sort of sad like, "I just bought their Basic package and I didn't get all of this cool stuff. I wish I had spent the extra ten dollars to have gotten all of this."


After everyone had quit laughing and teasing Ellen, she asked me to wear my clergy tag, so after I had attached it to my collar—she shot me—with her camera. Then we started joking around with what names we should call our ministries and we all burst out laughing when one of them, who I think was Eileen, suggested that mine be called the, "What Would Ronnie Do?" ministry.

And that is about it for tonight, except I really do hope that you will call me and let me do your weddings, etc., because I am serious about it and I know that I would enjoy it.

Y'all have a great evening!

4 comments:

Mari of the NoMads said...

Ok I need some help here.

Is it Reverend Cousin Nancy or Cousin Reverend Nancy?

Or just in case I was to want to learn how to text, would I put RCN or CRN?

cousin nancy said...

Hi Mari! I have no idea, since this is so brand new to me. I was sort of thinking Sister Cousin Nancy, but I am not sure. I will keep you posted.

Eileen said...

I say let's call you "Reverend". You'll be like all the rap stars and the Hollywood folks who use one name, e.g., Cher, Charo, Sting ... like that!

cousin nancy said...

Hi Eileen! Bless you for wanting to help me with my title. Reverend is okay, but I was thinking about using Mother Cousin Nancy. I think it fits me better. : )