Saturday, June 2, 2012

My First Funeral! or Ashes To Ashes!

This morning I took this picture of some wildflowers that Tony had picked for me yesterday. Aren't they beautiful!


Today has been great. This morning Jon Wolfmueller called and he left an hilarious message for me, on Carlton, "Hello, Nancy. I'm glad that you got your marrying kit yesterday and that you are now an official preacher. I don't want to sign up for a wedding, but I do want you to do my funeral. I want to be the first, so put me down."

When I returned Jon's call I joked, "Jon, I would love to do your funeral and I will be glad to put you down in the ground, but don't die, just so I can make some extra spending money." Jon started laughing.

"How much is it?" Then we both started laughing.

"Jon, I have no idea. I guess I'll have three rates. The cheapest rate will be for friends and family. Then the middle rate will be for nice people, musicians, artists, authors and animal lovers. And the highest rate will be for arrogant people. What do you think?"

"Sounds good to me."

"You'll definitely get the Friends & Family rate and don't worry about the cost, because I will just send my bill to Sandy after we put you down..."

Today, in between visitors showing up for tours, I finally finished feng shui-ing Tony's and my bedroom closet and it feels great knowing that all of the de-cluttering has been done there. Then I did some much needed de-cluttering in the big room.

I removed old magazines, a few objects that had been gifts to me, but the most important thing that I removed was our beloved Thunder's urn, sitting on the top of our entertainment center, because every time that I looked at it—it made me miss her.

So, without telling T., I slipped outside with her urn, said a silent prayer to her and then I scattered her ashes in our front yard, then inside The Okay Corral and lastly around Yoda's and Lucky's grave, because they had all been best friends.

Late this afternoon, T. and I went outside to replace the old, solar battery inside The Eternal Squirrel, that rests on top of Yoda's grave and after Tony had replaced the battery and set the Eternal Squirrel back in place, he began to dust off the top of the little solar panel and I quietly gasped, because it wasn't dust that he was removing from the top of the solar panel and the top of the grave—it was Thunder's ashes instead.

I decided it just wasn't the right time or the place to tell Tone about me earlier scattering her ashes right there, so I said, "Hey, let's go water the garden and the flowers." And seconds later we were inside The Okay Corral, happily watering away.

I am really glad that I did remove Thunder's urn, from The Cabin and did scatter her ashes outside, because I am no longer saddened whenever I look towards the entertainment center. And trust me, I will tell T. about doing it, if and when he ever notices that her urn is missing. Ashes to ashes...

Y'all have a great evening!

No comments: