Friday, August 26, 2011

Adios Mercury In Retrograde! or Frown!

Today has been much better than yesterday was. This morning while Tony was drinking coffee at the Old Timer in Medina, I was over at the Lodge drinking coffee with Kinky, in his kitchen. After we had discussed the weather and our two, ten minutes and eight seconds showers, that we got yesterday, I said, "Kink, Tony and I have decided that we are going to quit using our rain gauge to measure the amount of rain that we don't receive and start using my stop watch instead."

Kinky started laughing and said, "Yesterday's showers were a joke—a really bad joke..."

"I've got some good news," I said, changing the subject, "We can officially adios Mercury in retrograde today and it won't come again until November twenty-third, but the next few days be careful, because its effects will continue to linger on for a few more days."

"That's good to know," he said, jokingly, "Thanks for telling me this."

"The other good news is that Gus might get adopted today. A very nice woman named Sally made an appointment, earlier this week, to come out today to meet him, so keep your fingers crossed for him."

This morning when Eileen arrived, T. and I were fixin' to do our morning chores and Eileen asked if she could help me clean pens and before I could say, "I'd love it," Tony handed her our extra set of pooper-scoopers."

"It's a hard job," Tony teased, but I'm sure that you can figure it out." Then we started laughing. "But remember—if you mess up—you'll get fired."

Eileen, who has the best sense of humor joked back, "I understand and I will do my best." Then Tony drove off in Kermit, to start feeding the dogs and she and I walked over to Merlin's and Princess' pen to clean it first and the dogs were so excited to see Eileen—they ran out of their pen when she opened the gate to go inside.

I started laughing as Eileen apologized to me as we watched the two, happy freed dogs running away. "Eileen, please don't worry about it. This ain't the first time this has happened. Talk about two happy dogs, I'll bet you that they are headed down to the creek to go for a swim. Don't worry, Tony will catch them."

When we saw Tony take off in Kermit to catch them, we grabbed two leashes and started walking towards the entrance gate, so we could help T. leash them and get them back into their pen.

By the time we had reached the big gate, Princess was running towards us, with Kermit following and when Eileen called for Princess—she ran straight into Eileen's arms and I leashed her. When I looked up
Tony was smiling, with his arm around Merlin.

As soon as Eileen had put her leash around Merlin's neck and taken him out of Kermit the teasing commenced. "You're fired, Eileen," Tony joked, before bursting out with laughter.

"Tone, you can't fire a volunteer," I joked.

"Okay, you're on probation." For five minutes we stood out by the gate laughing at the dogs getting out and going for a swim. Then T. drove off in Kermit, to get back to feeding the dogs and we walked the two happy, wet dogs back to their pen.

When all of the pens had been cleaned Tony drove up and said, "I want to get a picture of the two of you with your pooper-scoopers, so I can post it on Facebook. She and I started laughing.

Let's do it like the "American Gothic" painting!" I suggested to Eileen.

"Okay, but we can't smile. We must look serious, Nancy, like the painting," Eileen said.

When we started to pose for T. to shoot us, Eileen looked down at me and started laughing, "Nancy, you're smiling. Frown, like this." Then she made an upside down smile and I could not quit laughing and the harder I tried to frown—I would start laughing and smile, so here is our rescue ranch version of "American Gothic" I've titled, "Utopia Gothic."


Around 11:45, after Eileen had gone home, Sally showed up to meet Gus. "I've always had Labs," she said, getting out of her car, so after introductions and a short visit, she and I walked down to Gus and Lois Lane's pen, with Tony following us in Kermit, because his back was really hurting. 

When Sally saw Gus, she immediately fell in love with him, so Tony took Gus out of his pen, so Sally could play with him in the alley and twenty minutes later Sally told us that she definitely wanted to adopt Gus. Tone and I were thrilled, but not as much as Gus was.  

"Sally, I have to go get Gus' adoption papers in the trailer, so why don't you ride down there with me, in Kermit, so you can drive your car back to Gus' pen, when it is time to load him up."

On our way to the trailer Sally surprised me when she told me, "Nancy, I came out here today to buy a few of your books, that all of my friends have been telling me I must read and to adopt Gus. Do you have any for sale?"

"Yes, I do. How many do you want?"

"Two of each, please. I want two for me and two to give as gifts to my dog-loving friends."

While I was signing my books for her and her friends, Sally told me that she wanted to volunteer to walk our dogs on her days off from work and I told her that we would love it. 

Before we put Gus into Sally's car I took this picture of one very happy and lucky dog with Sally and Tony.

Late this afternoon we rescued another two year old black Lab that was fixin' to go to the pound, because the young man was having to move into an apartment. A few minutes after I had called Susan, at Hoegemeyer Animal Clinic, to tell her that we had just rescued another dog and the man was bringing his dog Lexi to them and we needed for them to spay her and give her all of her shots—she called me back. "Nancy, we have someone here who is very interested in adopting Enzo. She wants to know why Enzo was returned to y'all."

"He was returned to us because the young woman said, "Enzo had not bonded with them," but I think it was because they were moving into an apartment. He's a wonderful dog..."


"Great. She's outside visiting with Enzo right now. She is one of our favorite clients and a major dog lover and she really takes good care of her dogs. What should I do if she wants to adopt him?"

"Susan, I totally trust your judgement on this woman and I don't want to make the adoption complicated, so if she does want to adopt Enzo let her take him and ask her to call me and please tell her if it does not work out to please bring Enzo back to us."

"Okay. I'll call you to let you know. Bye." When I put the phone back into its cradle, I went over to the Lodge to tell Kinky the latest good news about Sally wanting to be a dog-walking volunteer, Gus getting adopted, Enzo's possible adoption and about rescuing Lexi and Kinky was thrilled to hear it. 

"Nance, please call me when you find out about Enzo...."

When I returned home Susan had already called Tony to tell him that the woman wanted to adopt Enzo, but the vet had recommended that she wait to adopt Enzo ten days after his last heart worm treatment, this upcoming Wednesday and she was fine with it and Kinky, Tony and I thought it was sound advice, too.

A few minutes after hearing the great news about Enzo Swift, Roseanna called me from Hoegemeyer's Animal Clinic, to tell me that Lexi had arrived, but she wasn't all Lab, as we had been told. "She's more Pit with some Lab and a very sweet dog. I just wanted to let you know, so y'all wouldn't be shocked when y'all come to pick her up..." And, I'm blaming this one on Mercury in retrograde, for the young man misleading us about his dog and I can't wait to meet her.

Y'all have a great evening and please keep praying for rain for us!

No comments: