Friday, September 24, 2010

Turtle Love!

Even though it is full moon time once again, I had a great day. This morning instead of walking I cleaned the trailer. I wish that I loved doing house(trailer)work, but unfortunately, it is not at the top of my bucket list or any other list that I have. All that I can say is, "Thank goodness I have Hazel, my lavender colored "Animal Dyson" vacuum cleaner to help me.

When I was done cleaning I put Hazel back into the closet and then I went outside to say hello to our super volunteers Eileen and Ellen and to thank them for coming out to walk our dogs for us. After the howdys and the hugs I said, "Eileen, I loved reading your fish story. You're a true Fish Whisperer and I think we should appoint you as our official fish rescuer." The three of us laughed as Eileen retold and acted out her story, "The fish was right here on my back, but I couldn't see it and I couldn't quit screaming for some one to get it off of me, because I really thought it was a snake and I am terrified of snakes!" Ellen and I started taking turns teasing Eileen about her five-inch-fish-fiasco and the laughter flowed like the Guadalupe river. Then Eileen turned the tables on Ellen.

"Now wait a second, Ellen," Eileen teased, followed by a hearty laugh. "Does Nancy know about the bat in your pants story?" The two started laughing. "Tell Nancy about the bat in your pants, Ellen."

After they quit laughing Ellen said, "June, Eileen and me went to a bat colony near Mason to watch the bats go out for their evening of mosquito eating. It was real dark and I was wearing some baggy pants when the bats took flight. Some of them even brushed against our arms as they flew past us. They'd circle above us before leaving the cave and it was kind of scary to have bats that close to us, but it was pretty awesome, too. Anyway, after the bats left we took off, too.

Eileen drove her car, I sat in the front seat and June was in the back seat reading a map and giving Eileen some back road directions to get us back to Kerrville."

"It was dark as all get out and we eventually found ourselves on a road that turned into a dirt road for tractors with grass three feet tall in the middle and it was pretty scary, but June kept insisting that we were not lost," Eileen added. "Then Ellen screamed."

"I had reached down to scratch my leg and I had felt something really big inside my pant leg and it was slowly moving up my leg. I started screaming OMG! Stop the car! Pull over, now! OMG! Let me get out of the car!" Ellen said, as they broke out laughing.

"I slowed and pulled off the slick wet road as fast as I could," Eileen said.

"I started screaming, 'Unlock the child-proof doors, but Eileen couldn't see the button to release the locked doors, because it was so dark outside. When she finally found the button I jumped out of the car and dropped my pants. Thank goodness it was dark, "Ellen said, as they started laughing and I cringed at the thought of having a bat in my pants. "It was a grasshopper!" Ellen said. "It was as big as my hand and I released it. I've never seen a grasshopper that big."

After we quit laughing about her bat-in-the-pants story, they told me about their latest white water kayaking adventures with Ellen's sister June. By the time they were done talking I was laughing so hard I asked them if I could go kayaking with them sometime and they welcomed me. "Last week we started above Center Point and stopped at Dave's Place and ate lunch and then we paddled down the river to the dam in Kerrville and got out of the water," Ellen said. Then we talked about the popular Hill Country bar and restaurant, Dave's Place, in Center Point that Jon and Sandy and Rick and Leisa and they have highly recommended that we go check out. Then Eileen and Ellen gave me updates on their dogs that they adopted from us.

According to Eileen, Callie Dean is by far the smartest dog on the planet and Ellen made us laugh when she told us about Jermaine Jackson's latest escapades. "Jermaine doesn't like change," Ellen said. "The other day I had hung my poncho on the back of a bar stool and when he came inside and saw it—he immediately cringed and ran back outside."

After Ellen and Eileen left the rescue ranch, Frank, T. and I went to Dave's Place in Center Point for lunch and we had a blast and I can see why it is such a popular Hill Country hangout. I love it.

When we arrived at Dave's Place there were over thirty Harleys parked in the parking lot and the place was rocking. After we placed our food orders at the counter we went down to the deck and grabbed a table and this is a picture that I took of our view overlooking the beautiful Guadalupe river.
As we waited for our order we walked around Dave's place and took pictures and here is a couple of beautiful Macaws that I shot.
Then I wandered into their sun room that was really cool, and hot and humid. I took these pictures of a beautiful turtle with a straw hanging out of his mouth and before leaving I happened upon these two turtles madly in love.


This evening at five o'clock Tony I arrived in Bandera to deliver Jill to her hopefully, potential forever home and we have our fingers crossed for her. Sharon, a nice woman from San Antone, who works in Bandera, had called me this morning about Jill and she was wanting to try her out with her dog that she felt needed a buddy. Please keep your fingers crossed for Jill. She is a great little dog that was badly abused by a man and she deserves the very best. She has been adopted out twice, but was returned to us because all she wanted to do was hide under the beds. Hopefully—third time is the charm for her.

Y'all have a great evening!

1 comment:

Eileen said...

Crossing all fingers and toes for Jill and her forever home with the nice lady. If the lady would like to talk to anyone about Jill I'd be glad to have her call me about how she is on a leash, how to catch her, etc. She deserves to have a good home and to be happy and I'm so hoping this is the one!